Highest quality beef in BKK?

chawarma

On 1/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, meatboy said:

this is better than those 2 above.   PON-YANG-KHAM available in villa.

For someone in BKK, the better bet is to visit the Pong Yang Kham butcher shop in Sukumvit Soi 33, right past the main Villa Market branch at the corner there. PYK beef is a Thai-French beef blend from Sakon Nakhon province, and is probably the best value for quality beef domestically raised in Thailand. The butcher shop there has pretty much every cut available, will cut on order and even grind for you. And much better prices than Villa, cut for cut.

That said, if price is no object, the imported Japanese beef available here, while expensive, certainly would blow away anything imported from Australia or NZ. US Prime is also available at places like Central Chidlom, but also at very expensive prices, though probably less than some of the better/best Japanese beef available here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That said, if price is no object, the imported Japanese beef available here, while expensive, certainly would blow away anything imported from Australia or NZ.

if mouth feel and tenderness are the priority, then Japanese is pretty much the gold standard, yeah. 

if one likes a more pungent, gamey beef, then no. NZ beef isn't "blown away" by Japanese beef. gaminess, i would guess, has more to do with how much exercise the cow gets than diet per se...

Edited by zeusbheld

"Food, Glorious Food" is a supplier to top hotel kitchens and has an outlet store on Sukhumvit 71, Phra Khanong, corner of Pridi (soi) 37, about 2 km from Sukhumvit (www.foodglorious-food.com).  Very high quality cuts of both Australian and US beef as well as other meats and specialty foods.  

When I want a good steak, that is where I buy it and they have never failed me yet.

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, dddave said:

"Food, Glorious Food" is a supplier to top hotel kitchens and has an outlet store on Sukhumvit 71, Phra Khanong, corner of Pridi (soi) 37, about 2 km from Sukhumvit (www.foodglorious-food.com).  Very high quality cuts of both Australian and US beef as well as other meats and specialty foods.  

When I want a good steak, that is where I buy it and they have never failed me yet.

They're also available via the HappyFresh home delivery service in Bangkok and surrounding areas.

https://www.happyfresh.co.th/

HappyFresh has promotions at various times, and I believe their delivery pricing is a bit better than going thru FGF direct.

I've tried the imported ground beef from FGF, and it's quite good, probably the best I've found for purchase yet in Thailand.

" I've tried the imported ground beef from FGF, and it's quite good, probably the best I've found for purchase yet in Thailand. "

I agree.  Whenever I want a really good hamburger, I head to FGF. to buy ground beef  Fortunately, for me it's only one km away.

They used to sell great french baugetts but they have discontinued selling it for some reason.