Quit your job in the west and move to super cheap Chiang Mai!

Jingthing

Yes, I know, I know, we've heard it all before so many times, but here it is again!

Have you ever fantasized about quitting your job and moving to a place where it's so cheap that you barely need to work — if at all? 

"Since the 1800s, the Thai city of Chiang Mai has been luring expats from the West with its uber-low cost of living, great weather (especially compared with elsewhere in Thailand), rich history and distinct culture," says Peddicord.

"The biggest advantage to life in Chiang Mai is its cost in general and of health care in particular," she says. A person can live here comfortably on as little as $1,000 per month , and you can see an English-speaking doctor for $20.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/01/11/quit-your-job-and-live-abroad-places-so-cheap-you-might-not-need-to-work/#18695fd24d34

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can thank Kathleen Peddicord for the influx of all the greying victims of the 2008/2009 economic crash who believed her stories of "Live Like a King for $1000 a month in Chiang Mai" when she was editor of International Living magazine.  She conducted seminars and sold books about how to retire overseas to gullible people from North America and Chiang Mai has always been near the top of her list.

She has always left out any mention of what's required to obtain a long-term retirement visa -- like Thailand's 65,000 baht/month or 800,000 baht in the bank or Malaysia's even higher requirements.  At least, now there is some modest disclaimer in her writing about how she's not factoring the cost of medical insurance or health care into monthly budget and she does mention how Chiang Mai and Kota Kinabalu have excellent medical care and a few other places are lacking in medical care.  But, while she says you can consult with a doctor for $20 in CM, she doesn't discuss what more complex procedures cost and what happens if you can't pay.

The problem with Peddicord's writing, especially in 2008/2009, was that it attracted people to retire in Chiang Mai on $1000 per month when that's ALL they had, a modest pension income of $1000 per month, with no reserves, no back-up, no safety net.  Sadly, some of those folks are still here, getting older and finding it harder and harder to get by.

These articles about cheap places to live around the world are interesting but unrealistic.  I have never heard any of these authors mention how one would get a long term visa to any of these destinations.  As an American I can't just arrive in Portugal and declare my intention to live the "Cheap Life"?  To me these articles are misleading at best.  I have looked into the possibility of living in the following countries:  Panama, Costa Rica, Columbia, the PI and Thailand.  Only the PI and Thailand offer realistic long term Visa options.  

Also, if you look at most "Digital Nomads" they usually last about 2 to 3 months and then reality hits in them face.  They usually go elsewhere or go back to their parents basement.  

1 minute ago, lordblackader said:

25,000 baht for rent? seriously? OK it's doable but you can get a great place for half the price if not less. Internet 1,000 lol, Sinet FTW, entertainment 1,280 baht/ month? I can spend that at The Red Lion in one night :)

1,280 baht/ month? That is just over 42 baht per 24 hour day.

I've spent more than that on a round of drinks before now.

I think that part of why Kathleen Peddicord lost her job at International Living was because real live expats wrote to them often enough about how unrealistic her articles are.  I don't mean to sound full of myself, but ones like me who are president of CEC, not just from CM but similar people in other parts of the world.  It's not really good to have economic refugees turning up in your city.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

These articles about cheap places to live around the world are interesting but unrealistic.  I have never heard any of these authors mention how one would get a long term visa to any of these destinations.  As an American I can't just arrive in Portugal and declare my intention to live the "Cheap Life"?  To me these articles are misleading at best.  I have looked into the possibility of living in the following countries:  Panama, Costa Rica, Columbia, the PI and Thailand.  Only the PI and Thailand offer realistic long term Visa options.  

Also, if you look at most "Digital Nomads" they usually last about 2 to 3 months and then reality hits in them face.  They usually go elsewhere or go back to their parents basement.  

Panama has a good retirement visa program not that I'd want to live there.

Also to be fair, she promotes Ecuador a lot and that also has an accessible residency path. 

No different than the reality TV show, House Hunters International  which never even discusses the difficulty of foreign property ownership throughout the world

Saw one episode on a couple looking for a house in Phuket, after they made their choice there was absolutely no discussion of the fact that they could not own the house that they finally chose 

Another one was buying in Mexico, where you pretty much have the same type of restrictions as you do in Thailand, to include the company owned route many expats have to take

It was partly this very article that helped fill CM up with aged expats to ridiculous levels and forever spoiled the place IMO. Folk who weren't there before this time, or in the 90s (or before), have no idea how fine a place it was (even with the smog). I wish this female lots of bad luck. :whistling:

13 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

"Only the PI and Thailand offer realistic long term Visa options".  What?? Thailand???? You are only allowed one year at a time here in Thailand, have 90 day reporting, or do dangerous in and out border runs unless you have permanent residency, and how many expats qualify for that?

13 hours ago, NancyL said:

I think that part of why Kathleen Peddicord lost her job at International Living was because real live expats wrote to them often enough about how unrealistic her articles are.  I don't mean to sound full of myself, but ones like me who are president of CEC, not just from CM but similar people in other parts of the world.  It's not really good to have economic refugees turning up in your city.

Nancy, I agree with you on Peddicord's lack of realism, but not on your final sentence. To me, it's an individual's choice as to their lifestyle, and living in CM can be done at any level provided visa requirements are met. Peddicord isn't the only writer who suggests the magic $1,000 as the base rate for a good life here - I see it on many other websites and, to me, it's an excess amount when needs rather than wants are considered.

What would you consider makes an 'economic refugee? Expats from the USA who, quite rightly, take advantage of lower healthcare prices here as well as the (mostly) favourable weather? Retirees from the UK where the maximum state pension comes out at £155 ($186) a week and needs to be supplemented by savings? When I was far more involved with the expat community than I am now, I knew people from both sides of the pond, all of whom were living as they wished within their individual means. A number were living truly economically, not because they were forced to but because they were not willing to be part of the mega-consumer society which is destroying the planet.

I have looked into the possibility of living in the following countries:  Panama, Costa Rica, Columbia, the PI and Thailand.  Only the PI and Thailand offer realistic long term Visa options.  

what ????? 

you havent done any research on this whatsoever,  colombia visa regs ( look it up dumbo )

thailands one of the worst places to secure long term visa. 

Single, not chasing whores all the time, not a 

big drinker.  Have a nice flat, dine out several

nights a week, have a new motorbike and play

golf several times each month....You need a

minimun of B50,000 per month to live "the good

life". And lots of savings imcase of emergencies.

Edited by little mary sunshine

41 minutes ago, buddhalady said:

Nancy, I agree with you on Peddicord's lack of realism, but not on your final sentence. To me, it's an individual's choice as to their lifestyle, and living in CM can be done at any level provided visa requirements are met. Peddicord isn't the only writer who suggests the magic $1,000 as the base rate for a good life here - I see it on many other websites and, to me, it's an excess amount when needs rather than wants are considered.

What would you consider makes an 'economic refugee? Expats from the USA who, quite rightly, take advantage of lower healthcare prices here as well as the (mostly) favourable weather? Retirees from the UK where the maximum state pension comes out at £155 ($186) a week and needs to be supplemented by savings? When I was far more involved with the expat community than I am now, I knew people from both sides of the pond, all of whom were living as they wished within their individual means. A number were living truly economically, not because they were forced to but because they were not willing to be part of the mega-consumer society which is destroying the planet.

Well, since we are choosing last sentences.... yes, I agree one could live even cheaper than the $1,000 and easily too... 

But, there is plenty of consumerism here, though I do think here that Thai people are less likely to go in hock for it. But choosing to opt out of the "mega-consumer society" is rarely a matter of place for most of us, but a mindset. You can do so just as easily in most rural parts of USA. I lived a simple lifestyle in the woods in USA, and did it by choice. 

57 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Well, since we are choosing last sentences.... yes, I agree one could live even cheaper than the $1,000 and easily too... 

But, there is plenty of consumerism here, though I do think here that Thai people are less likely to go in hock for it. But choosing to opt out of the "mega-consumer society" is rarely a matter of place for most of us, but a mindset. You can do so just as easily in most rural parts of USA. I lived a simple lifestyle in the woods in USA, and did it by choice. 

When the government decided to make credit easy for Thais a few years ago many many bought motorbikes and cars. Then had to sell them cheaply because couldn't afford them and the market was saturated. Many household were in deep doo doo.

If people have access to cheap credit, generally they will consume. Governments plan on this.

19 hours ago, NancyL said:

You can thank Kathleen Peddicord for the influx of all the greying victims of the 2008/2009 economic crash who believed her stories of "Live Like a King for $1000 a month in Chiang Mai" when she was editor of International Living magazine.  She conducted seminars and sold books about how to retire overseas to gullible people from North America and Chiang Mai has always been near the top of her list.

She has always left out any mention of what's required to obtain a long-term retirement visa -- like Thailand's 65,000 baht/month or 800,000 baht in the bank or Malaysia's even higher requirements.  At least, now there is some modest disclaimer in her writing about how she's not factoring the cost of medical insurance or health care into monthly budget and she does mention how Chiang Mai and Kota Kinabalu have excellent medical care and a few other places are lacking in medical care.  But, while she says you can consult with a doctor for $20 in CM, she doesn't discuss what more complex procedures cost and what happens if you can't pay.

The problem with Peddicord's writing, especially in 2008/2009, was that it attracted people to retire in Chiang Mai on $1000 per month when that's ALL they had, a modest pension income of $1000 per month, with no reserves, no back-up, no safety net.  Sadly, some of those folks are still here, getting older and finding it harder and harder to get by.

Nancy your last paragraph of "no this and that" really should include it attracted people with no brains!  Really someone from the states or anywhere else far away who wants to retire in Thailand or wherever needs to have at least half a brain to figure into their budget healthcare , entertainment based on their lifestyle and many other extra expenses. Some bitch ( that's what you made her out to be in my English) who writes for whatever magazine should not dictate where you will go.  I don't think tons of people from the states came here because of her article. I personally rarely even meet tourists from there. I know from your posts you are active here in Thailand and probably older than me and you do know SOME people who came here with rose colored glasses but they also came here lacking common sense. I started posting here 6 years ago in my 40's. The one main thing TVF has taught me is to work hard, save money, invest in retirement accounts and the stock market etc.  I'm not rich but I will not live my golden years as a large majority of posters seem to be doing. Waiting for a meager pension check ( let's face it mainly coming the U.K.) and spending my time posting hundreds of mostly crap things  on here.  

You can't take back poor plans. I wish the posters on TVF would all reach out to their younger relatives, friends or friends children and let them know you need to save dollars or pounds or whatever your currency is when you are in your 30's, 40's and 50's to live well in your 65++ years. I've posted this before and I will post it again. A meager pension just does not cut it in 2017.  You also must plan for your retirement with at least 1/2 a brain. Yes coming to Chiang Mai with $1,000 a month budget and nothing else is plain stupid.  It is also your own fault. 

PS. I think your are an outstanding poster!  I just think people can't blame a magazine article for a crappy life. Cheers 

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

$20 is a few minutes talk with a doctor - - if you actually went in there for a real problem, the costs go up from there and to get decent medical care, it can get expensive... 

$20 lost leader. 6,000 bahts for a complete physical and if your a senior its for sure they will find something wrong and you go onto their monthly client list. Every good business must have a healthy (pun) client list. 

57 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Nancy your last paragraph of "no this and that" really should include it attracted people with no brains!  Really someone from the states or anywhere else far away who wants to retire in Thailand or wherever needs to have at least half a brain to figure into their budget healthcare , entertainment based on their lifestyle and many other extra expenses. Some bitch ( that's what you made her out to be in my English) who writes for whatever magazine should not dictate where you will go.  I don't think tons of people from the states came here because of her article. I personally rarely even meet tourists from there. I know from your posts you are active here in Thailand and probably older than me and you do know SOME people who came here with rose colored glasses but they also came here lacking common sense. I started posting here 6 years ago in my 40's. The one main thing TVF has taught me is to work hard, save money, invest in retirement accounts and the stock market etc.  I'm not rich but I will not live my golden years as a large majority of posters seem to be doing. Waiting for a meager pension check ( let's face it mainly coming the U.K.) and spending my time posting hundreds of mostly crap things  on here.  

You can't take back poor plans. I wish the posters on TVF would all reach out to their younger relatives, friends or friends children and let them know you need to save dollars or pounds or whatever your currency is when you are in your 30's, 40's and 50's to live well in your 65++ years. I've posted this before and I will post it again. A meager pension just does not cut it in 2017.  You also must plan for your retirement with at least 1/2 a brain. Yes coming to Chiang Mai with $1,000 a month budget and nothing else is plain stupid.  It is also your own fault. 

PS. I think your are an outstanding poster!  I just think people can't blame a magazine article for a crappy life. Cheers 

Yes, Alex, absolutely correct and I hope you can reach most of your friends. It is important to save and save early... unfortunately, so many fall to the lures of advertising and spend on unnecessary things and live above their means. 

But, then, for those who did not save and end up with $1,000 a month, does the question still remain as to where they might be best off? I do not have the answer and it might likely differ from country to country, person to person. And for some, the answer might just be that Thailand can hold a better lifestyle for that same $1000 a month stipend. I have been surprised that there are so many here with a small income, minimal savings and no health care plan. I assume that it accounts for some of the angry TVF people. Life must not look too sweet. 

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, Alex, absolutely correct and I hope you can reach most of your friends. It is important to save and save early... unfortunately, so many fall to the lures of advertising and spend on unnecessary things and live above their means. 

But, then, for those who did not save and end up with $1,000 a month, does the question still remain as to where they might be best off? I do not have the answer and it might likely differ from country to country, person to person. And for some, the answer might just be that Thailand can hold a better lifestyle for that same $1000 a month stipend. I have been surprised that there are so many here with a small income, minimal savings and no health care plan. I assume that it accounts for some of the angry TVF people. Life must not look too sweet. 

I agree. But....advertising should not suck you into buying ( on credit) what you THINK you may afford later.  I remember being 30 and having $10,000 on my credit cards and seeing what the interest rate was doing to my balance.  I worked incredibly hard for the next 24 months and paid off all my credit cards and also saved enough $$ for a down payment on my first condo.  It took just 24 months!!  I sometimes worked 35 days in a row. Some co workers would laugh at me.  I never ever have had a balance on my credit cards since then. They are $0 balance as I enter each month.  I drove a crappy car and lived in a basement apartment before I bought my first condo and rarely spent money on clothes.  I could still go out and have a couple drinks and always had fun but advertising and peer pressure just can't be a reason for not saving.  I think some posters are angry because they HAVE to live in Chiang Mai or wherever. It must suck. I also know many older retired people in my own country who live on a meager income or no income but they live with their families and they are kind and NOT  GRUMPY OLD MEN.  Most of the grumpy posters were the same back in their own country and no one in the family wants that around them . For some people it is simply hard times that put them here. I feel sorry for them but....if they are out drinking and have a pack of cigarettes next to them them I think YOU ARE A LOSER! That's just my feeling.