British actor John Hurt, star of 'The Elephant Man', dead at 77

rooster59

British actor John Hurt, star of 'The Elephant Man', dead at 77

By Thomas Newey

640x640 (7).jpg

Actor John Hurt arrives for the European premiere of the film "The Imitation Game" at the BFI opening night gala at Leicester Square in London October 8, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Veteran British actor Sir John Hurt, Oscar-nominated for his star turn in "The Elephant Man" and his supporting role in "Midnight Express", has died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer, a representative said on Saturday. He was 77.

Hurt, who had starred in more than 200 films and television series over a career spanning six decades, revealed in 2015 that he was suffering from the early stages of pancreatic cancer and that he was receiving treatment.

His death was confirmed to Reuters via email by Charles McDonald, a British-based representative for the actor's Los Angeles talent manager, John Crosby. The BBC, citing the actor's agent, also reported that Hurt had died. Further details of the circumstances of his death were not immediately available.

Hurt said at the time of his cancer diagnosis that he intended to continue working. He most recently starred in the Sundance TV crime series "The Last Panthers" and in the Oscar-nominated film "Jackie", playing a priest who consoled the newly widowed wife of slain U.S. President John F. Kennedy.

Hurt, a native of Derbyshire in England, garnered his first Academy Award nomination for his supporting role as Max, an inmate who befriends the imprisoned drug smuggler Billy inside a Turkish jail in the gripping 1978 drama "Midnight Express".

He earned greater acclaim, and an Oscar nomination as best lead actor, for his memorable portrayal of John Merrick, a grossly disfigured Victorian-era man struggling to project his humanity while enduring the indignities of life as a side-show freak. With his face obscured behind the character's deformity, Hurt's performance rested largely on the expression of the actor's signature raspy voice.

His roles in both "The Elephant Man" and "Midnight Express" won him Britain's top film award, the BAFTA. He was bestowed an honorary BAFTA in 2012 for his outstanding contribution to cinema.

Hurt also played a key role in the original 1979 sci-fi thriller "Alien". His character, Kane, became the first member of a space merchant vessel crew to fall victim to a fearsome life form, encountered on a distant moon, when a deadly parasitic creature burst from his chest.

Other notable credits include supporting parts as a village doctor in Greece whose daughter falls in love with an Italian military officer during World War Two in the 2001 film "Captain Corelli's Mandolin", and as the eccentric wand-maker Mr. Ollivander in the "Harry Potter" movie franchise.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-28

For once any RIP's and praising an artist would be justified, one of the most gifted actors of his generation. Caligula, Quentin Crisp, Richard Rich, Tim Evans and the Elephant man to name a few, brilliant artist who will be much missed. 

Edited by thai3

This man was a giant. An actor of epic proportions. A master of his craft. He owned the films he was in. His ability to get into the skin of his characters was legandary. He will be sorely missed. His performances were a thing of beauty. Only lovers left alive, tinker tailor soldier spy, v for vendetta, dead man, wild bill, rob roy, the osterman weekend, heavens gate, the elephant man, midnight express, etc. All amazing performances. May he rest in peace. He deserves it. He gave us so much joy. 

Edited by spidermike007

His performance as Max, the heroin junkie in Midnight Express was truly outstanding, in an unforgettable film.

Funnily enough, i saw that movie when it came out in the English cinema in Munich. The cinema was pretty much right on the main train station's front door (well a couple of hundred yards away). The first people you saw when you walked out the door were... Turks....

However sadly missed, at the age of 77 I think we have to accept that, in general it's natural to pass around that number.

It's probably so that in our generation we saw so many more true actors and not boxoffice movie stars riddled with sixpacks, and they made an impression, which we miss when they leave us...perhaps also a reminder of what awaits...still, he was an understated cool man! 

Edited by currynamnam
Swedish spelling program, darn!

I remember an early role in 10 Rillington Place as the poor bastard who was hung, whilst John Christie (Richard Attenborough) avoided punishment, in the short term. He was also great as Caligula in I, Claudius. All the performances listed above were also top notch.

I recall being so saddened by the movie Elephant Man, and that we made a spectacle of such a person, yet it was less than 20 years prior when I saw pygmies, and people with gross deformities myself, in traveling side shows.

Fortunately we've matured as people, I think partly because travel is within the reach of many more, and our curiosity no longer needs to be satisfied by such degrading displays.

Great British actor.

• 5 months later...

just the other day, one thought I was experiencing a Mandella Effect moment...

Back in Jan this year, the news had come about of the passing of John Hurt

and now, with the very recent passing of yet another well known actor, an American this time - John Heard

The Tabloids are currently mixing up the identities of the respective late John H's

It is all as if John Hurt has passed twice...

(just go ahead and Google each of the names)

check the dates for John Hurt

check the dates for John Heard

check the Wiki info for each actor, and you can see it is all mixed up!!

Edited by tifino

On 1/28/2017 at 3:57 PM, Cats4ever said:

I remember an early role in 10 Rillington Place as the poor bastard who was hung, whilst John Christie (Richard Attenborough) avoided punishment

Indeed, even though it's been decades since I saw that I still get the creeps when hearing people whistling.

And then it reminded me of my teenage crush on Judy Geeson....