Around 7% of minivans fail roadworthiness checks - 672 too dangerous to be on the road

rooster59

6 hours ago, mark131v said:

7%failed,...you reckon?

Think that percentage is probably tits up if my personal experience is anything to go by....

Had a rethink and there is no way I reckon 7% are safe!!!!!

I'd suggest a "typo error" they meant 7% passed with a 93% failure!

If the tests were anything like the test for my 7year old car this year, they would all pass with flying colours. The guy checked the lights, the tyre on the off side rear, and the brake fluid level, that was it, good for another year. Why do they bother if this is all that is done?

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

They've already checked 138000 vehicles?....I say impossible!

If they have, then they should share their vehicle testing regime with all other governments, 'cos it must be really something!!

I agree with you, 138000 Divided by 229 testing stations = 602.62 vans per testing center, over what period of time ? More made up crap from people that don't give a hoot.

7 hours ago, thai3 said:

That cannot be right unless they never actually tested the safety belts. They are there but unusable in every van I have been in, why do they do that

You make a good point. If they came down to hard the whole fleet would be sidelined no doubt. It made a big news splash on the checking of vehicles part that was the objective. I believe a good check would have produced a higher percentage of faults but 7% seems like a good figure to give the public. In their eyes it is perceived as doing their job and purveyed this to a gullible public but with social media now it is loosing some of its impact. If one took a microscopic view of all modes of tourist transportation here I am afraid tourism would come to a standstill. One must create an illusion that the system has check and balances. Unless you install CCTV cameras in vans overcrowding will continue and in time the system will revert to where it is now and then a new crackdown cycle with happen and so on. 

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

If the tests were anything like the test for my 7year old car this year, they would all pass with flying colours. The guy checked the lights, the tyre on the off side rear, and the brake fluid level, that was it, good for another year. Why do they bother if this is all that is done?

and mine passed with only 1 headlight and when I asked my partner why it passed , she said because the other light was good . Another old banger filled the test shop with black smoke when the accelerator was pressed for the emissions test and sure it passed. Total waste of time and a money exercise only 

If anyone is responsible for the drastic fall in European tourists and the massively destructive publicity that Thailand gets throughout the world, it's because of these crazy drivers , daily road killings, and scamming taxis. Maybe the authorities  need to admit this once and for all , stop making excuses, and act !

So where does that leave the matter insurance wise when if the vehicle is in an accident and the driver is unlicensed or the vehicle is unfit to be on the road because of mechanical faults , it must mean that insurance is nullified  ?  Does the buck stop at the big boss ?  

3 hours ago, slapout said:

The numbnuts in control of the majority of traffic volume on the roads  here just can not seem to be able to adjust to changing conditions, be it weather, road condition, volume of traffic, etc. They seem to be thinking about their final destination and ignore the need that can/will arise that requires them to change what they are thinking about.

Some people are discribed as being unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. Safe driving requires total mind set on driving, not carrying on a consversation, looking at the country side, having a snack, etc.

Thai people are not great thinkers / adaptoids in general, specially when it comes to foresight. It's not that they are genetically inferior, it's just the way their school system is set up and how they are thought not to question anything about anything fron home / culturally. The last part has its upsides too, i love how thai people dont make a scene about something minor that a swede would make a fuzz about.. 

But this questioning stuff is what leads to an analytical mindset. And thais seem to lack it. Or maybe im wrong and all above is bs... I didnt do a real study...just thinking...

18 minutes ago, geisha said:

If anyone is responsible for the drastic fall in European tourists and the massively destructive publicity that Thailand gets throughout the world, it's because of these crazy drivers , daily road killings, and scamming taxis. Maybe the authorities  need to admit this once and for all , stop making excuses, and act !

I think its the dictatorship part mostly. People dont want to support a dictatorship that all they know could burst into violence any day again.. Also the taxi mafia extortion prices..

Omg 7% What joke I saw 3 Minivans today 2 were speeding and the other would of to but was held up by a car Now here is a riddle to show you the law is just a big joke See if you can answer the question? Can some one tell me why do police in Thailand stand at lights that are working and blow there whistle to direct traffic? Are you not guided by the colour of lights? The cars have to do what the lights say not the cop blowing the whistle Am i missing something here?

Just now, Happyman58 said:

Omg 7% What joke I saw 3 Minivans today 2 were speeding and the other would of to but was held up by a car Now here is a riddle to show you the law is just a big joke See if you can answer the question? Can some one tell me why do police in Thailand stand at lights that are working and blow there whistle to direct traffic? Are you not guided by the colour of lights? The cars have to do what the lights say not the cop blowing the whistle Am i missing something here?

Thai traffic police is the biggest problem. These people have the power to save thousands of lives every year and make a ton of money at the same time... But they are not.. Why? Because the world health organization has given them the top priority of putting helmets on motorbike drivers. So thats what they do, set up checkpoints and check helmets... And occasionally they go insane and "direct" traffic into a screeching halt, i have no idea why

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If they have, then they should share their vehicle testing regime with all other governments, 'cos it must be really something!!

It's only a twenty point checklist

item one.. left front tire attached

item two.... right front tire attached

item three... left rear tire attached...

etc etc

item twenty... does driver have a pulse.

and then, factor in a pass/ fail mark of over 60% good to go.... pass the baggie, away ya go son

Edited by farcanell

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I agree with you, 138000 Divided by 229 testing stations = 602.62 vans per testing center, over what period of time ? More made up crap from people that don't give a hoot.

The other newspaper mentions that the testing took place between 24 January and 2 February. Assuming 8 working days makes 75 vans tested per day per station, or almost 10 per hour (assuming 8 working hours per day). Assuming a test capacity of one van at a time, this permits about just enough time to check the lights, have a glimpse at the tires, and attach the 'OK' sticker to the van's back.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

The wrong kind of license ? 

How many any types are there? 

"Sorry officer, seem to have misplaced my license but here's my bike license"

or or is the a PSV license now?

Licenses to operate a farm tractor or plough...

This is one story I do actually believe.  Around 7% of minivans fail roadworthiness checks - 672 too dangerous to be on the road.  

I firmly believe this is most likely the truth.  Now they might look at the real reason for road accidents.  99% of Thai drivers fail in their ability to follow road rules - 50 million or so Thai people too dangerous to be on the road.  

On 2/4/2017 at 6:26 AM, thai3 said:

That cannot be right unless they never actually tested the safety belts. They are there but unusable in every van I have been in, why do they do that

Well at least they won't wear out , tucked under the seats will they .