Chiang Mai bound tour bus had "secret passageway" to enable easy theft

webfact

Chiang Mai bound tour bus had "secret passageway" to enable easy theft

xx.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

CHIANG MAI: -- A tour bus plying the Bangkok to Chiang Mai route had been fitted with a secret passageway for staff to steal tourist's belongings easily.

The modification was fitted behind the driver's seat and provided in-journey access to the valuables in the luggage compartment.

Officials at the Chiang Mai Land Transport office found the passageway after reports from three Brazilian tourists and an Israeli that they had suffered loss of money totaling 90,000 from their bags on a trip from Banglamphu to the northern capital, reported Thai News Agency.

Yesterday local land chief Charnchai Kilapaeng and his staff spray painted a red symbol on the vehicle meaning it cannot be used for service for an indefinite period.

Several charges were laid against the company including illegal adaptation of a vehicle and changing an engine number. The driver was banned from driving for three years.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-09

Reminder :

This was a bus departing from/near Khaosan Road. 

Avoid them. 

Get your bus from one of the 3 main terminals.  Like the Thais do.

You wouldn't want to find yourself (as a victim of theft) being accused of an insurance scam (which was the first reply to the OP on Tuesday) would you?

Why not charge the owners of the company also. I doubt the driver nor the thieves paid for the modification. How many more buses/businesses are the owners of the ''company'' involved in that bus are built on this model and others which target tourists?  tours, airline tickets, hotel, etc paid for but never delivered. Maybe would not hurt to check for traces of drugs in that crawl area as it seems to be un noticed. Who did the mod and how many others have the done? Wonder if any of Thailands finest transport safety inspectors are involved?

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Innovative.... I thought they ( thieving bar stools) just got in and out during pit stops

I believe that they do get out art pit stops .

I was speaking to a Brazilian guy who had got robbed on a BKK/CM bus

His Father was the Brazilian Ambassador at the Brazil Embassy in BKK

He refused to get off the bus and made some phone calls

The bus driver said that he could get all of his stolen stuff back

He would just have to wait a few hours for it to arrive

A few hours later all his stuff arrived

I'm sure the dab of paint is a great deterrent.

Confiscate the bloody thing and auction it!

And use the proceeds to compensate the victims; any extra can go in the tea fund, who cares as long as these bandits get it up the jacksy.

And this is why:
1. anyone that has any kind of cense carry valuable things on themselves or in a bag that you can kept at the seat.

2. Thais and those who spend the time being tourists (and not only drinking alcohol) take a bus or van from any of the bus terminals and NOT from Khao San road!

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Reminder :

This was a bus departing from/near Khaosan Road. 

Avoid them. 

Get your bus from one of the 3 main terminals.  Like the Thais do.

You wouldn't want to find yourself (as a victim of theft) being accused of an insurance scam (which was the first reply to the OP on Tuesday) would you?

Most of these KSR buses are illegal and poorly built.  Like you said, avoid them and go with the government buses.  Sadly, due to corruption, the police won't go after these bastards.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I believe that they do get out art pit stops .

I was speaking to a Brazilian guy who had got robbed on a BKK/CM bus

His Father was the Brazilian Ambassador at the Brazil Embassy in BKK

He refused to get off the bus and made some phone calls

The bus driver said that he could get all of his stolen stuff back

He would just have to wait a few hours for it to arrive

A few hours later all his stuff arrived

In other words, the only reason the victims got some action was because one of them has some good connections.

Pffft,...amateurs,...In Indonesia they hide a kid in the luggage, once on the road he gets out of he's hiding place and checks in the other luggage for valuables...and put it in one bag destined for this and he gets back into he's hiding Place...this was well known on the route from Jakarta to Jogjakarta.....

For what its worth,i would rather fly than go by bus, if the length of journey merits it.We flew Thai Smile to Bkk from KK.very cheap.On the return flight my mrs left her handbag on the plane (yes i know,i couldn't understand it either) We got home and we had to drive all the way back to the airport.I really thought,it was a gonner.My pp was in it and all my wifes gold,and her money.When we got to the desk at KK,the bag was on the table waiting for us to collect it.How honest was that? they had opened it to find out our names and listed the items in the bag.Nothing had been touched.I left a 1,000 baht for the girl who cleaned the plane and handed it in.God bless Thai Smile.

11 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

For what its worth,i would rather fly than go by bus, if the length of journey merits it.We flew Thai Smile to Bkk from KK.very cheap.On the return flight my mrs left her handbag on the plane (yes i know,i couldn't understand it either) We got home and we had to drive all the way back to the airport.I really thought,it was a gonner.My pp was in it and all my wifes gold,and her money.When we got to the desk at KK,the bag was on the table waiting for us to collect it.How honest was that? they had opened it to find out our names and listed the items in the bag.Nothing had been touched.I left a 1,000 baht for the girl who cleaned the plane and handed it in.God bless Thai Smile.

Good to hear a positive story for a change