Retire in Phuket or Southern Europe?

simon43

The 6 month visa is a B2 visa which has more hurdles that an Olympic steeple chase.

The normal way is the 3 month visa waver. (Americans of course are entitled to a 6 month waver in return)

The joke at the end of the day is that Americans almost look upon retiring overseas as a right but will not allow anyone to retire to the US regardless of your ability to be self sufficient and not a drain on their economy. (they are quite capable of draining their own economy)

You can write of the US as a place that encourages retirement.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about the Americans on this forum . Florida has much the same weather as Phuket the beaches are much cleaner , cars are cheaper , fuel is cheaper , better quality clothes are cheaper , you can live in a beautiful

gated community for retirees for the price of a basic pool villa in Phuket . Monthly fees for activitys are around $100 a month . Most are set on golf courses ! Yes you won't get a bunk up for 1000 baht a night but it's a very viable option .plus you may be able to go to Cuba and back for your visa run which is not a bad option at all ?For all you non Americans 

Edited by chrisandsu

23 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

What's up with Florida ? It's cheaper to live there then Phuket. 

If you use this calculator to make comparisons between Phuket and a Florida city you will find that statement is untrue. Some things in Florida are cheaper, but not enough to support your statement.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

53 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

If you use this calculator to make comparisons between Phuket and a Florida city you will find that statement is untrue. Some things in Florida are cheaper, but not enough to support your statement.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I find this comparison calculator bs to be honest . I go to tops for groceries and it's double the price of America . A run of the mill pool villa in Phuket is 5-7 million baht (which you can't own ) where as a much better constructed house in Florida can be had for a round the same price (that you can own) . the only thing I can see that is a major difference is the cost of health care and the service industry . 

8 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I find this comparison calculator bs to be honest . I go to tops for groceries and it's double the price of America . A run of the mill pool villa in Phuket is 5-7 million baht (which you can't own ) where as a much better constructed house in Florida can be had for a round the same price (that you can own) . the only thing I can see that is a major difference is the cost of health care and the service industry . 

As I said some things will be cheaper. You can pick and choose various single items and make one place appear to be best value. Many grocery items are cheaper outside Thailand, particularly dairy. However, this site lists most  basic items and comes up with, imo, a more accurate overall comparison.  

I don't see how they BS because the scores of item prices quoted come from contributors, like you and me, who live in cities all over the world, and volunteer to provide price checks. There are no agendas involved.

As far as accommodation is concerned the site only compares rentals, not purchases nor building standards nor land ownership laws.

The cost of health care and the service industry are probably among the major factors for a retiree moving to another country,

With the dictator, Trump, dismantling the only reasonable health care system the country has, and normal costs putting medical care out of reach to the point where even travel insurance companies have special rates for travel within this impoverished nation, it's impossible for most retirees to even consider the US, even if they could get a visa.