Moving to Thailand - Customs Tax

mirko

Hey guys,

Was any of you in a situation where you moved to Thailand and brought a bunch of stuff with you?

There is 4 of us - me, my Thai wife and our 2 babies. So we would be allowed to take with us 4 x 2 luggage bags = 8 total.

Someone told me that Thai people don't need to pay customs? Is that true?

My wife and kids all have Thai passports, it's only me that is not a Thai citizen.

I came up with this sneaky idea where I could fill up my 2 suitcases with clothes (and possibly not pay import tax) and the other 6 suitcases with valuable stuff and lable it as my wife's and kid's?

Does anyone think this makes any sense?

All advice is very much appreciated! - Thanks guys!!

I not know about your described situation.

But if you move to Thailand you are allowed to move some of your stuff to Thailand (Tax free or Tax reduced). I was thinking this is mainly for people who send their stuff by a container or boxes to Thailand by an international moving company...

I am sure there will be some people who can give you more details to your questions....

Your wife is a returning citizen and can import personal belongings duty free. She might need a document stating the returning citizen status, check with the Thai embassy where you are now.

You need to declare your goods and they are subject to import duties unless you have a work permit not older than six months.

Smuggling everything in with a suitcase might work, but my luggage has been x-rayed before when I came out of the green channel at the airport.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, nisakiman said:

I seem to recollect there are a few threads that deal with this topic. Do a forum search for 'importing personal effects' or something like that. You should come up with some info.

Nisakiman,

I did as you suggested and I found some great info! Thanks!

6 hours ago, HampiK said:

I not know about your described situation.

But if you move to Thailand you are allowed to move some of your stuff to Thailand (Tax free or Tax reduced). I was thinking this is mainly for people who send their stuff by a container or boxes to Thailand by an international moving company...

I am sure there will be some people who can give you more details to your questions....

When I moved to Thailand I had a container of household effects. To get it out of customs took a bit of to and fro-ing, but eventually my agent succeeded at a cost of 30,000 THB. If I had known it was going to pass on the nod I would have brought another few dozen cases of wine. Too late now!

Some airlines will allow up to 3 bags free depending on availability (ANC) and/or travel type (business or first class). Even when limited to two free bags per person, the charge for an extra bag might be nominal.

Coming into Thailand on certain visas may also lessen the chance of being charged import taxes for personal (preferably used) property. I assume you're using a marriage visa that should help. Again contact your nearest Thai embassy for guidance.

Assuming you are coming in on a spouse visa, there should not be any problem at the airport with personal items in the suitcases.  I have seen Thais coming back from Hong Kong shopping trip with huge suitcases full of all kinds of stuff and customs never touched them.  Containers are another question and you can expect to pay around 15% on the value you put on used goods.

We  moved two years ago, with a container. When you import any (legal) stuff, we had no control. The first time you move to Thailand it is almost nothing to pay.

On the other hand we flew with KLM and had to pay for one extra luggage, altough the 3 suitcases together(60 kg)  was the same weight as two normal, and that is 100 euro extra....

You should look into doing a part shipment on a consolidated basis. If the shipment is done in your wife's name there should be little problem getting it into Thailand. I would suggest making enquiries with a Thai agent as if there is any problem it will more than likely be on the Thai side.

I brought a container over a few years back and my wife made the arrangements through Asian Tigers, it was all handled very efficiently and no customs. At the time I was on a multi Non O marriage visa.