Traffic Nightmare in Pattaya as Van falls down Hole at Intersection

webfact

Traffic Nightmare as Van falls down Hole at Intersection

By Danny Boy -

S__12926993.jpg?fit=1035,776

Traffic comes to a standstill after a van fell down a hole at intersection

PATTAYA: -- At around 2:00pm on February 20th emergency services were called to the Intersection between 3rd Road and South Pattaya Road, after a KCG Corporation Van had got stuck in a hole.

The KCG Company prides itself on creating pleasure for your taste, but it certainly wasn’t creating any pleasure for motorists and the incident caused huge pile ups from all sides of the intersection outside of Tony’s Gym.

Passing locals did their best to help initially, but to no avail, and it took approximately 1 hour after emergency services arrived to eventually drag the van out of the hole, which was around 1 meter deep.

Police questioned the driver of the van, a Thai man aged 36, who told them that he drives the same route every day, delivering products to customers, but has never noticed the hole before. He went on to say he was driving along as normal until he heard a loud bang, and was not able to move his vehicle. He got out to find that the back end of his van had sunk into the ground, right in the middle of the busy junction. He said he felt very embarrassed at the time, but was thankful that so many people came to try and assist him.

Work carried on well into the night fixing the problem, which emergency services say was caused by a burst water pipe underground, which would explain the mass amount of water all over the road. The problem has been temporarily fixed, but there are still barriers around the repairs and work is continuing.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/traffic-nightmare-intersection/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-02-21

Sat at the traffic lights there around noon yesterday and watched the water bubbling up through the asphalt. Most cars and bikes were avoiding the 'puddle' but I was thinking the lights better change before the sink hole opens up. By the size of the aftermath of the 'roadworks' observed today, I guess they just poured some Quikrete down the hole.

2 hours ago, GordonP said:

That area specifically is patched so often, many times during the busiest traffic times. It probably needs digging up and a proper resurfacing job.

They will be patching it again tonight from 22.00 till 05.00

16864352_1160128344107602_6314865936297752499_n.jpg

8 hours ago, johng said:

They dug up the whole length of south Pattaya road to lay the leaky water main in 2006

it was never resurfaced properly

Deleted the photos for space....

Absolutely correct about that. In fact, in 2008 there was a hole in front of Tukcom from the pathetic repair work that swallowed my motorbike, tossed me over the bars and left me with a broken leg. 4 days in Pattaya Intl, and over 100K later, i left the hospital unable to bear weight on the leg for 4 months. Feel the discomfort of their incompetence every single day.

This incident is no different. They have patched it up multiple times and it always returns. Little further up at Soi Regionland, it is so bad that the underground cabling is actually exposed under the road joint. 

10 hours ago, volsfan said:

Deleted the photos for space....

Absolutely correct about that. In fact, in 2008 there was a hole in front of Tukcom from the pathetic repair work that swallowed my motorbike, tossed me over the bars and left me with a broken leg. 4 days in Pattaya Intl, and over 100K later, i left the hospital unable to bear weight on the leg for 4 months. Feel the discomfort of their incompetence every single day.

This incident is no different. They have patched it up multiple times and it always returns. Little further up at Soi Regionland, it is so bad that the underground cabling is actually exposed under the road joint. 

Yes, but why would they want to do a repair properly, which costs serious money. Thai logic says it is much better to deny the probelm, thus saving money.

Then do a bodge job on limited budget, come back and do it again. Ang again.And again.

Ends up costing 10 times more than an original good fix, but good luck in explaining that one.

Cost of ownership will not be understood by a Thai.

You can offer a girl 2,000 today or 10,000 next week and they will almost always go for the money today.

Edited by Rimmer
Political slur

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, but why would they want to do a repair properly, which costs serious money. Thai logic says it is much better to deny the probelm, thus saving money.

Then do a bodge job on limited budget, come back and do it again. Ang again.And again.

Ends up costing 10 times more than an original good fix, but good luck in explaining that one.

Cost of ownership will not be understood by a Thai.

You can offer a girl 2,000 today or 10,000 next week and they will almost always go for the money today.

Dumber then Trump.

they have to fill there bank acc some how

Edited by Rimmer

"The KCG Company prides itself on creating pleasure for your taste, but it certainly wasn’t creating any pleasure for motorists and the incident caused huge pile ups from all sides of the intersection outside of Tony’s Gym."

Yeah yeah blame KCG.........why not blame the freakin' cityhall and its incompetent contractors. 

Amazingly enough the hole has disappeared, problably without solving the problem (waterleak?), so in a few months another "culprit" will fill up the hole. 

On 22/02/2017 at 9:52 PM, volsfan said:

Absolutely correct about that. In fact, in 2008 there was a hole in front of Tukcom from the pathetic repair work that swallowed my motorbike, tossed me over the bars and left me with a broken leg.

Was it this one ?  I seem to remember it causing an accident.. they put the barriers around it afterwards.

IMG_0703 (Medium).JPG

On 2/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, GordonP said:

That area specifically is patched so often, many times during the busiest traffic times. It probably needs digging up and a proper resurfacing job.

LOL. I used to travel from Ekamai to Pattaya, and the "surface" around the building needed digging up and redoing for about 20 years. They just kept driving over larger and larger holes.

Haven't used Ekamai for a long time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still haven't fixed the holes.

As I see it, in LOS they build something, and then it has to fall down or become so unuseable that they are forced to do something, but rarely a proper fix. Do they even understand what maintenance means?

20 hours ago, johng said:

Holes being filled in today
1488175145900.jpg

BUT, will it be a proper fix, or just a shoddy quick botch job that will fail again? When they attempted to "fix" the potholes on Buakhao some years back they just wiped some tar in the holes and threw some tarseal on top. Didn't even roll it flat and left mounds in the road.

My guess is that it will not last long,   in the photo you can see the truck that had lots of coarse crushed rock,sand,cement mix that they dumped into the hole 

with about 10 labourers tramping it down with flip flops  before the rolling machine got to work.

A few of the big tour buses will get the ploughed field look back in no time.

On 22/02/2017 at 10:01 AM, GordonP said:

The whole length of South Pattaya road from Sukhumvit to Second road needs to be resurfaced,  I hope when they eventually do it

they will install a proper drain,bury the electric cables and top it off with a (thick) concrete road surface and get the bloody drain covers to the same height as the road...such a mammoth task would obviously take a couple of years with horrible horrible disruption that doesn't bear thinking about. :annoyed:

Edited by johng

5 minutes ago, johng said:

My guess is that it will not last long,   in the photo you can see the truck that had lots of coarse crushed rock,sand,cement mix that they dumped into the hole 

with about 10 labourers tramping it down with flip flops  before the rolling machine got to work.

A few of the big tour buses will get the ploughed field look back in no time.

The whole length of South Pattaya road from Sukhumvit to Second road needs to be resurfaced,  I hope when they eventually do it

they will install a proper drain,bury the electric cables and top it off with a (thick) concrete road surface and get the bloody drain covers to the same height as the road...such a mammoth task would obviously take a couple of years with horrible horrible disruption that doesn't bear thinking about. :annoyed:

It's OK to dream. Just look at the disaster at the top of Central Rd with the new underpass.