foreigners who save on aircon bills

cheapskatesam

A few years ago i ended up in some girls apartment block and as we were walking along the corridor i noticed someone had left their door kind of open/ajar with a shoe keeping it open.. i peered inside as i went by and there was a white guy sat on the sofa watching tv.. I was intrigued why this guy had forfeited his privacy.. and through maybe he had issues in the head or found it "kinky" to be stared at by his neighbors..

Anyway fast forward to last year.. i was in some girls apartment block and sure enough the same exact thing happened.. I noticed some one had left their door ajar.. this time they had used the security chain and a shoe to keep the door open about 6 inches.  I said to the girl.. oh look someones got their door open.. weird. She said to me something along these lines.. "it's a foreign guy he always leaves his door like that.. its funny".. 

Perhaps i'm mentally challenged but i only just figured it out .. they're trying to get the air conditioned air from the building into their room so they don't have to run their own air-con and thus pay leccy..

I bet there's a few of you on TV who are guilty of it as well.. or at least some of you who have witnessed the same behavior lol... own up!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right in your assumption.

We only have aircon in the bedrooms. Doors to the house are open day and night (for security we have metal sliding screen doors).

Haven't been using the aircon lately at night, just a fan as it's fairly cool at night.

Ah, well, back to feeding and weeding the bananas.

Our old condo (10th floor) had open air balconies both sides (one was the access).

We, and our Thai neighbours, invariably had the doors open both sides all day and into the evening. Through ventilation is great for no-cost cooling, a couple of fans to direct a bit of air where you need it and you're good to go.

Now we have a house, large roof overhangs, lots of planting, good cross ventilation. I've never even bothered installing aircon except in the bedrooms. Once again our Thai neighbours also have everything open, many of the homes only have doors on the sleeping areas anyway.

Cheapskate, no, we're quite capable of affording to run the aircon, we choose not to.

Oh, it's a money-saving scheme on many levels. Not only do I save on air con, but all the neighbors' rats can enter and get trapped in *my* rat traps. I grill them up and serve on a bed of lettuce I grow on my balcony garden fertilized by my own doodoo that I save water on by not flushing away.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel, "How to become a billionaire by living like Howard Hughes"

T

Edited by Thakkar

Who has told them MY! trick :cheesy:

I do this regularly when in "my" court hotel in Pattaya.

Combined with upper floor, door to the corridor, balcony to the other side it often gives a nice breeze.

And that is not saving AC cost (incl. in the room rate).

I often get sick from AC.

But the AC less times will soon come to and end.

36 C outside.

I use the shoe and chain method for cross ventilation. No air con in hall. 6" crack enough, still have privacy. I may run a little air con at night (29 setting), but day time cross ventilation with fan boost is fine. I don't do this because I am cheap. I do it because I don't want to be a prisoner of air conditioning, scurrying from one freezer box to the next.

Yes, always wondered why farang liked to look into the condo thru the six inch crack I use for ventilation, the shoe is to keep the door from catching a breeze and slamming shut. I'd rather have a nice breeze than an air conditioner that smells until I get used to the smell.

I do the same thing in hotels as not liking  aircon and not able to have a fan, then leaving the door ajar and window open creates a refreshing enough air flow. Not kinky, and there is no 'free' aircon air available anyways in hotel passageways or I would imagine in condos or apartments either.

I'm now pondering whom is really the kinky person amongst us here......

2 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

This is almost as interesting as the bloke years ago who wanted to know what temp to set his aircon to.

I do believe that might have been a Weho thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/123827-air-conditioning-need-energy-efficient-advice/

He was a classic poster with a knack for picking the most boring of subjects. Shame he ended up on the B list.

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

We often leave our corridor open for a breeze during the day.

What the hell does it have to do with you ?

Yes. I have a double door on my condo. Outer door has louvers and screening, inner door is solid and kept closed at night. During the day, when I'm in I open the inner door. No one can seen in the outer louvered screen door and it allows greater air flow. I rarely use A/C and the hallway is not air conditioned, but balcony doors and windows are open 24/7 except during heavy rain so I get a decent sea breeze most of the time.

Why would someone not want to enjoy the breeze. Why would someone want to miss that by closing everything up and running expensive air conditioning?  Thais and foreigners do it. Hardly some closely kept secret or arcane rocket science. 

Perhaps i'm mentally challenged but i only just figured it out .. they're trying to get the air conditioned air from the building into their room

Thanks for sharing this amazing discovery.

Edited by Suradit69

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I don' t think it's to get a blast of the building's air con (none in the corridors anyway)......it appears to be to create a draft of air....I presume?

Of course it is, i do the same, during the day in our house leave the window an door open get a nice through draught running through the house, 4or5 pm mozzie time so  close everything (SWMBO does'nt like mozzie screens)

This place makes me laugh..

Topics involving saving money get people very hot under the collar.. lots of abuse and snide remarks from lots of extravagant sukhumvit farangs that do not save money at all... 

What is also interesting is that these types of threads always get the highest view counts. No doubt this thread will get 6 or 7 pages of replies from people not interested in saving money (of course!) and thousands of views.

When i first moved to Thailand I lived in a condo in BKK and anytime I was cooking I would open the door all the way. Not because I wanted to air the place out, but because most of the time when a girl walked by they would stop and say something smells good. I would invite them in for a bite. It was a nice way to meet my neighbors. Every once in a while I would end up with 2-3 girls hanging out and we start drinking which lead to better things. I always made too much for me anyways so it was a win win i wouldn't end up eating the same thing for 2 days and would meet some great girls. 

23 minutes ago, ericthai said:

When i first moved to Thailand I lived in a condo in BKK and anytime I was cooking I would open the door all the way. Not because I wanted to air the place out, but because most of the time when a girl walked by they would stop and say something smells good. I would invite them in for a bite. It was a nice way to meet my neighbors. Every once in a while I would end up with 2-3 girls hanging out and we start drinking which lead to better things. I always made too much for me anyways so it was a win win i wouldn't end up eating the same thing for 2 days and would meet some great girls. 

Nice idea! Any tips on recipes that went down well?