Goodbye to Thailand (for a while maybe)

ELVIS123456

33 minutes ago, starky said:

All sounds so rosy what could possibly go wrong? Don't know much about it is its too many years away for me to worry about but I doubt if after working for 10 years the Aussie gov't is just going to let your missus flit off back to Thailand and live out her years on an Aussie pension. I am sure there are Aussies in Thailand who lived worked and paid taxes their whole lives who may have trouble doing that. I would love to hear from someone that actually knows the rules about receiving the pension whilst living overseas but knowing my government I am sure there would be a shit load of hoops to jump through. I'll be lucky to get my super little lone just kick back in Thailand while the Aussie gov't pays me to do <deleted> all.

What could go wrong - The other Thai women letting her know about all the Aussie laws for women ( did you own a house ) - have heard of a few stories $400,000 being one

Ahh working for 10 yrs - Yes can be done ( not sure if its only the Kiwis ) but they do compare with what you may get from home country ( in which is Thailnd ) so would get all that is entitled to her for the amount of yrs worked in her life time in Auss - Uk can

Aussies can get Pension overseas but minus all the privelages ( but the way the Gov is tightening the screws it may stop ) - + we pay tax on Super Contributions & when claiming at retirement 

The Hoops - Personally i would not even want the Auss Gov knowing anything about my wife - Example : Perth Thai Cons. wanted every document of my Marriage Cert + wifes name change 

7 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

What could go wrong - The other Thai women letting her know about all the Aussie laws for women ( did you own a house ) - have heard of a few stories $400,000 being one

Ahh working for 10 yrs - Yes can be done ( not sure if its only the Kiwis ) but they do compare with what you may get from home country ( in which is Thailnd ) so would get all that is entitled to her for the amount of yrs worked in her life time in Auss - Uk can

Aussies can get Pension overseas but minus all the privelages ( but the way the Gov is tightening the screws it may stop ) - + we pay tax on Super Contributions & when claiming at retirement 

The Hoops - Personally i would not even want the Auss Gov knowing anything about my wife - Example : Perth Thai Cons. wanted every document of my Marriage Cert + wifes name change 

I was being a bit tounge in cheek and I am well aware of Thais wording other Thais up on the ins and outs of being married to Aussie bloody 2 blokes in the first 5 posts had horror stories that should tell you something. Typical of our gov't. that Aussies have to fight for it while others can just take it back where they come from. As I said the way the rules are changing I'll be lucky to see my super and I think the retirement age for someone I'm my age bracket is 70 and rising..<deleted> that for a game of soldiers.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

Different countries have different rules - I never get why this is a surprise to some people. 

It would be far stranger if all countries had the same set of rules... but I guess then people would complain about differing weather or food... or we could all just live in a bowl of milk... celebrate the difference.

That said, I hope your new life suits you better... 

And RIP to the jumper, such a shame. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, malt25 said:

" I would love to hear from someone that actually knows the rules about receiving the pension whilst living overseas"

I receive the Aussie aged pension & reside permanently in Thailand. I have done so for 3 years. OZ govt is well aware of my circumstances. I get the basic pension payment but no supplements such as rental assistance & the like. I also have a modest annuity pension. 

Re aged pension for my EX ... My understanding is for full payment, one has to have worked in Australia for 35 years. The amount is prorata based on the 35 years. Having worked in excess of 50 years, I didn't bother researching the topic fully. I'm sure someone has better info on that subject.

Cheers.....     Mal.

You also have to be residing in Australia for 2 years prior to retiring to receive a pension paid overseas. You are correct in that to receive a full pension you have to have worked in Australia for 35 years.The Aussie pension is also means tested, so if you have other income like superannuation, bank interest etc, the pension can be reduced.I only receive 50% of the full pension because of this.

• Like 2

"Hasanyone ever heard of this, and all the other things, in another country?? "

'Fearless' British journalist committed suicide in airport toilet after - Mirror

LAX suicide: Horrified travelers, delays as victim jumps from departure ...

Young man commits suicide at airport in India - Khaleej Times

gulftoday.ae | Man commits suicide at airport

Ex-Student Commits Suicide at Airport | News | The Harvard Crim

No doubt that "other things", of one sort or another, will be waiting for you in your next dream destination.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

I bet she gets a snooty attitude on her before the aussie twang. :whistling:

All the best.

i wonder how the farang felt last week when in foodland OH a WELSH THAI.he didnt know wether to say,sawadee or yachi da.