Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

23 hours ago, Mark123456 said:

What has the distance got to do with anything? 600 miles or 6,000 miles would be much the same. I've never carried £2,000 in cash when travelling and never would. I think it's plain stupid to carry that amount of money unnecessarily and I have never encountered a problem withdrawing cash that couldn't be solved in around 10 minutes with a call to my bank. Let's assume one has a couple of ATM/Debit cards and at least one credit card - I would say there is 0% possiblity they would all stop working at the same time and certainly not for so long that you would need £2,000 in cash to cover your expenses. 

Sorry totally disagree you always need hard cash to cover every possible emergency, when I said £2000 that was very much the bottom line for me normally I have nothing less than 5 large with me on outgoing flights

As Brits we cant get around the 200/220 baht fee atm easily I'm not throwing away £100 and then some on fees on extended trips

If and when sterling approaches 50 again then yes i will send a 10 bundle to the scb but certainly not yet

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2017 at 2:21 PM, Chivas said:

Sorry totally disagree you always need hard cash to cover every possible emergency, when I said £2000 that was very much the bottom line for me normally I have nothing less than 5 large with me on outgoing flights

As Brits we cant get around the 200/220 baht fee atm easily I'm not throwing away £100 and then some on fees on extended trips

If and when sterling approaches 50 again then yes i will send a 10 bundle to the scb but certainly not yet

I guess it's down to each of us to do what we feel comfortable with: I can't envisage my bank ever taking more than a couple of hours to sort out a major problem and I cant imagine ever desperately needing to spend £5,000 in that sort of time period. On the other hand, I can imagine losing my bags or being robbed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark123456 said:

I guess it's down to each of us to do what we feel comfortable with: I can't envisage my bank ever taking more than a couple of hours to sort out a major problem and I cant imagine ever desperately needing to spend £5,000 in that sort of time period. On the other hand, I can imagine losing my bags or being robbed. 

yes, to each his own. However I think it all depends on where you are going also.  I went to Benin several years ago with only $1000 USD on me thinking if I needed more cash I would hit an ATM machine. Found out no ATM machines in Benin. Luckily my hotel was already paid for so just local transport and meals. If i did need cash I could have went to the bank and get an advance on my credit card. Most places nowadays have ATMs. So I get a few travelers checks. Actually the travelers checks exchange rates are better than cash and my bank in the US provides them free of charge. I get them to issue the $500 checks so I make out on the exchange rates even with a check fee. 

30 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Actually the travelers checks exchange rates are better than cash

I am by no means advising people against travelers checks, but they rarely give a better rate of exchange when you know where to go. Check out the exchange rates at Superrich or Vasu, and compare it to the rates banks give on travelers checks. You will not find any advantage, even if the banks do not have a transaction charge on travelers checks which they generally do.

• 7 months later...
On 3/20/2017 at 4:17 PM, Tubbygold said:

On my 5th entry last year i got pulled aside, and told computer had flagged me for to many entrys. They wanted to see proof that i worked in my own country. 

Did a 6th holiday last year, no question asked.

Just got home from my first trip this year, he did spend some time looking over my entry stamps. Asked for my purpose for coming, said holiday. No further question asked. 

Been seaching internet for solid advise/rule, but always end up with various stories. 

I got grilled by IO at DMK. After 1.5 years in country.

You just going to keep going on tourist entries?

On 3/4/2017 at 12:31 PM, Nick ZepTepi said:

I'd your opinions.
I plan to spend 3-4 months outside Thailand every year and spent 8-9 months in Thailand on back to back SETVs.
I believe this could look acceptable as a tourist until I got the magic 50.

What do you reckon?

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Teacher?

Edited by jenny2017

On 4/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, Mark123456 said:

What has the distance got to do with anything? 600 miles or 6,000 miles would be much the same. I've never carried £2,000 in cash when travelling and never would. I think it's plain stupid to carry that amount of money unnecessarily and I have never encountered a problem withdrawing cash that couldn't be solved in around 10 minutes with a call to my bank. Let's assume one has a couple of ATM/Debit cards and at least one credit card - I would say there is 0% possiblity they would all stop working at the same time and certainly not for so long that you would need £2,000 in cash to cover your expenses. 

It makes perfect sense to carry 2,000 pounds, Euros, or dollars. I'd feel naked only relying on electronic cash. 

Some folks come with such an amount for several reasons. It's not a secret anymore that you might have to show cash when you want to enter LOS. Another good reason is to exchange money at the best possible rate, which is only possible in Thailand.

The fees for an online exchange or ATM fees from your bank home can really be quite shocking. 

2,000 pounds or Euros isn't really a lot of money for most of us. Your advice not to carry money can turn out badly, depending on time, place and circumstances.  

I always carry $2,000 when I enter Thailand just in case my credit cards are lost.  It can take a while until replacement credit cards reach you.  Regarding the best exchange rate, I always get it by obtaining an over-the-counter cash advance at Bangkok Bank.  No fees, just the Visa exchange rate for the day.

7 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I always carry $2,000 when I enter Thailand just in case my credit cards are lost.  It can take a while until replacement credit cards reach you.  Regarding the best exchange rate, I always get it by obtaining an over-the-counter cash advance at Bangkok Bank.  No fees, just the Visa exchange rate for the day.

How does the "VISA" exchange rate for the day compare,  with that of the Bangkok Bank?

I noticed that there are 3 different exchange rates depending on what bank notes are being exchanged :

1- for bills of  $50-$100 (gets the highest exchange Rate)

2- for bills of $5-$20.

3- for bills $1-$2

The difference is usually about 0.40 baht between each one of the 3.

Here's a link that enables you to get the exchange rate for your currency.  When I get a cash advance, I get the Visa exchange rate, not the Bangkok Bank exchange rate.  There are no cash advance fee charges by the bank and no foreign transaction charged by my credit card so I get the straight Visa exchange rate.

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

4 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Here's a link that enables you to get the exchange rate for your currency.  When I get a cash advance, I get the Visa exchange rate, not the Bangkok Bank exchange rate.  There are no cash advance fee charges by the bank and no foreign transaction charged by my credit card so I get the straight Visa exchange rate.

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

If there are really no transaction charges, this is not terrible. Recognize, though, that the visa exchange rate is never as good, for major currencies, as that available at places like SuperRich (https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en).

On 4/21/2017 at 6:30 AM, ericthai said:

yes, to each his own. However I think it all depends on where you are going also.  I went to Benin several years ago with only $1000 USD on me thinking if I needed more cash I would hit an ATM machine. Found out no ATM machines in Benin. Luckily my hotel was already paid for so just local transport and meals. If i did need cash I could have went to the bank and get an advance on my credit card. Most places nowadays have ATMs. So I get a few travelers checks. Actually the travelers checks exchange rates are better than cash and my bank in the US provides them free of charge. I get them to issue the $500 checks so I make out on the exchange rates even with a check fee. 

Until around 2006 there were no ATMs in either Laos or Cambodia either, and it took until 2012 for ATMs to appear in Myanmar. I can remember running out of money in Vientiane once, luckily it was my last day in Laos and I had just enough to pay for a bus for me and my girlfriend to the border where there was an ATM right at the border crossing in Nong Khai. I remember remarking to Thai immigration officials how "baan nork" Laos was for not having any ATMs. I'm still surprised it took as long as it did for Laos and especially Cambodia to install ATM machines. Now they are everywhere though, but it pays to know before you go to a new destination. Benin is well off the tourist trail, you're the first person who I've ever heard going there...I can't imagine there would be many westerners heading there, must have been a surreal experience.

16 hours ago, jimster said:

Until around 2006 there were no ATMs in either Laos or Cambodia either, and it took until 2012 for ATMs to appear in Myanmar. I can remember running out of money in Vientiane once, luckily it was my last day in Laos and I had just enough to pay for a bus for me and my girlfriend to the border where there was an ATM right at the border crossing in Nong Khai. I remember remarking to Thai immigration officials how "baan nork" Laos was for not having any ATMs. I'm still surprised it took as long as it did for Laos and especially Cambodia to install ATM machines. Now they are everywhere though, but it pays to know before you go to a new destination. Benin is well off the tourist trail, you're the first person who I've ever heard going there...I can't imagine there would be many westerners heading there, must have been a surreal experience.

you Cambodia and Laos are moving forward.   I was in Benin for work, I have no desire to ever return. 

This proof of funds for visa exempt entry, will funds in Thai bank book in my Thai bank account suffice?
I’ll be entering on visa exempt this time in due to the expiry of my 1 year extension, then either try to make marriage visa extension at immigration then the 1 year extension or go away with the wife for a few days to a consulate nearby for the o visa

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, jonnyscot said:

This proof of funds for visa exempt entry, will funds in Thai bank book in my Thai bank account suffice?

It has to be the equivalent of 10k baht in cash or traveler checks.

13 minutes ago, jonnyscot said:

I’ll be entering on visa exempt this time in due to the expiry of my 1 year extension, then either try to make marriage visa extension at immigration then the 1 year extension or go away with the wife for a few days to a consulate nearby for the o visa

It would be best if you could get a single entry non-o visa before you enter the country.

If enter visa exempt you will have to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry before you apply for the extension at immigration. You will have to show the same financial proof, required documents and etc that is needed for the extension application. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do the application.

The financials isn’t a problem as I leave that funds in for exactly that purpose so already in place and sufficiently seasoned, but geographically it isn’t so easy for me currently to obtain the single entry, although I was in Glasgow yesterday for a passport renewal (I believe there is a consulate there) it’s a 5 hour drive to get me there again which must be the nearest one and insufficient time whilst in transit through Heathrow on the way to bkk,,, my only concern is that my local imm office may not issue me with the 90 day in which case I’ll have a boring trip to savannakhet to look forward to,, unless KL have restarted issuing the non imm o based on marriage again?? Was wondering would Penang issue one? That could be a much better back up plan than savannakhet if it’s possible,,,,

46 minutes ago, jonnyscot said:

The financials isn’t a problem as I leave that funds in for exactly that purpose so already in place and sufficiently seasoned, but geographically it isn’t so easy for me currently to obtain the single entry, although I was in Glasgow yesterday for a passport renewal (I believe there is a consulate there) it’s a 5 hour drive to get me there again which must be the nearest one and insufficient time whilst in transit through Heathrow on the way to bkk,,, my only concern is that my local imm office may not issue me with the 90 day in which case I’ll have a boring trip to savannakhet to look forward to,, unless KL have restarted issuing the non imm o based on marriage again?? Was wondering would Penang issue one? That could be a much better back up plan than savannakhet if it’s possible,,,,

You could apply for a single entry non-o visa by post to the embassy in London. Normal time to get your passport back is about 5 days.

See: http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-by-post

All immigration offices are allowed to accept a non immigrant visa application now.

You could get the single entry non-o in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Both the embassy in KL will issue a single entry non-o based upon marriage with financial proof.

Insufficient time, only a week in uk only 3 day left , interesting about KL, much better trip, how about Penang? Can they also do this and is it normal turn around time drop on first day pick up next?

Thanks

2 hours ago, jonnyscot said:

Insufficient time, only a week in uk only 3 day left , interesting about KL, much better trip, how about Penang? Can they also do this and is it normal turn around time drop on first day pick up next?

Thanks

Penang will do it with financial proof (and you can use an agent). Yes, apply in the morning, pick up afternoon of next day.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sananeamk0715 said:

So if someone do tourist visa at Penang Malaysia have to show 20,000 Baht?

@jonnyscot was interesting in getting a Non O visa on the basis of marriage.

For tourist visas, the rules in Penang are different, and much stricter than a year or two ago. If applying in person, you will almost certainly need to show an onward flight out of Thailand. You may also be asked for hotel booking details. They might ask for financial proof, though I do not think this is usual in Penang. There are fewer requirements if you use an agent, as they have ways to finesse most of them.

TL;DR - METV, Long time visitor to Thailand (8 years, different visas - 4 METVs total, one this year), Dozens of Stamps over the years from Travel to Other countries (USA, Europe, SEA, Asia), USA passport, Interviewed/Interrogated. Ultimately let through. Thailand Elite friends' status may have influenced that. 

Noteworthy Experience:

Just went through BKK immigration. Very sweaty palms.

Today, like the last time, about two months ago, I had to wait about 4-5 minutes at the desk as the officer thumbed through my passport, scrutinizing my Thai visas. I have had 1-year Non-imm O's, as well as 4 METVs over the last 8 years, and some land border I/O's to Mae Sai. The initial immigration officer turned to the officer next to him and they consulted each other. They asked what I was doing in Thailand. They asked if I had a girlfriend here. They asked how long am I going to stay. As mentioned in my previous post, I've been here often over the last 8 years, spending periods of weeks or months away a few times a year.

I told them I was with my friends who were ahead of me in the line and had just passed through. I said I was visiting them. I also said I have a booked flight out later this month (which I did book through BestOnwardTicket), though they never asked to see the ticket. The officer did not seem to be happy (they never are), and talked with two other officers and then a different one directed me to follow him to another counter. I thought at that point I was going to get red stamped or something.

I stood at the counter waiting again for 2 minutes, as the officer at the second desk I had to stand in front of also thumbed through my passport. I was not asked any more questions. Finally, I was just handed back my passport. I was suprised that when I looked inside I saw a 60 day permission to stay, the standard my METV. I had not been asked for any of the proofs: neither cash, ticket, nor hotel (though I had legitimate proofs of all at the ready). I was, however, verbally grilled with suspicious tones. I'm not sure if it's because I have been here many years & often, or the dozens of stamps in my passport from other countries here in Asia, the US, and Europe.. not sure what specifically would raise their concerns. If anyone has some insights, I would appreciate your first hand experiences.

It's worth noting that the two friends I was standing in line with were enrolled in the Thai Elite visa program and had two gold & black uniformed ushers with them that the immigration officers saw before me. I have a feeling, since I had specifically told them I was visiting THOSE two friends for this visit (I pointed toward them and the Thai Elite ushers that were with them), that THAT may have influenced the final OK stamp in, and being let through this second time. Or maybe, I am just being overly sensitive and paranoid. Perhaps many others have experienced the same recently. It just seems like in the last two years, going through this process has gone from slightly anxious, to worrisome.

Edited by Scott
Font
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SnackmasterB said:
TL;DR - METV, Long time visitor to Thailand (8 years, different visas - 4 METVs total, one this year), Dozens of Stamps over the years from Travel to Other countries (USA, Europe, SEA, Asia), USA passport, Interviewed/Interrogated. Ultimately let through. Thailand Elite friends' status may have influenced that. 

Noteworthy Experience:

Just went through BKK immigration. Very sweaty palms.

Today, like the last time, about two months ago, I had to wait about 4-5 minutes at the desk as the officer thumbed through my passport, scrutinizing my Thai visas. I have had 1-year Non-imm O's, as well as 4 METVs over the last 8 years, and some land border I/O's to Mae Sai. The initial immigration officer turned to the officer next to him and they consulted each other. They asked what I was doing in Thailand. They asked if I had a girlfriend here. They asked how long am I going to stay. As mentioned in my previous post, I've been here often over the last 8 years, spending periods of weeks or months away a few times a year.

I told them I was with my friends who were ahead of me in the line and had just passed through. I said I was visiting them. I also said I have a booked flight out later this month (which I did book through BestOnwardTicket), though they never asked to see the ticket. The officer did not seem to be happy (they never are), and talked with two other officers and then a different one directed me to follow him to another counter. I thought at that point I was going to get red stamped or something.

I stood at the counter waiting again for 2 minutes, as the officer at the second desk I had to stand in front of also thumbed through my passport. I was not asked any more questions. Finally, I was just handed back my passport. I was suprised that when I looked inside I saw a 60 day permission to stay, the standard my METV. I had not been asked for any of the proofs: neither cash, ticket, nor hotel (though I had legitimate proofs of all at the ready). I was, however, verbally grilled with suspicious tones. I'm not sure if it's because I have been here many years & often, or the dozens of stamps in my passport from other countries here in Asia, the US, and Europe.. not sure what specifically would raise their concerns. If anyone has some insights, I would appreciate your first hand experiences.

It's worth noting that the two friends I was standing in line with were enrolled in the Thai Elite visa program and had two gold & black uniformed ushers with them that the immigration officers saw before me. I have a feeling, since I had specifically told them I was visiting THOSE two friends for this visit (I pointed toward them and the Thai Elite ushers that were with them), that THAT may have influenced the final OK stamp in, and being let through this second time. Or maybe, I am just being overly sensitive and paranoid. Perhaps many others have experienced the same recently. It just seems like in the last two years, going through this process has gone from slightly anxious, to worrisome.

My assessment:

You haven't paid off the top of their authority-chain with an Elite, so not sure why it would matter if someone else in line had.  If anything, from their perspective, maybe a rejection would get you to join your friends, and contribute to "the fund."   

They probably don't like it that you are here enough to be settling in, and are using Tourist Visas, which don't put money in someone's pocket - but they can also see that you travel all over (weeks or months away - all over the world), so can't be working here - and certainly not working some under-the-table poor-paying job that doesn't even get you a B-Visa, while buying long-distance air-tickets. 

They only ask to see the cash, etc, if planning to reject if you don't have it.  In your case, they decided you didn't fit the profile.

The only way to avoid the risk of problems entering with a Tourist Visa, in the current climate, is to fly to somewhere like Penang, train through a checkpoint like Pedang Besar, which won't arbitrarily deny-entry, then fly on domestically - from Hat Yai, in that case.  All the "anxious to worrisome" of entering an airport's "anything can happen" zone goes away, if that route is taken.

13 hours ago, jonnyscot said:

could go to HCMC, cheap flights, no visa fees and plenty of quality hotels at decent prices in district 1. certainly not boring in my opinion and don't need to bother with financials i believe. I would suggest leaving the wife at home and hitting the Navy Bar (sounds like a gay bar but i can assure you it's not) 555

also the last time i went there, to the consulate i mean, there were only a couple of other people there, sure as hell beats going to places like VTN

Edited by Happy enough
add sentence

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I am getting a new passport soon any way. Hopefully that will improve matters.

It is unlikely that this will help with immigration. They can see your full history regardless of whether you have a new passport. The only advantage is that they will not need to spend a lot of time checking for possible discrepancies between their records and the stamps in your passport.