Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

3 hours ago, Helios said:

I was coming in on a 30 day visa on arrivals, BUT when they pulled me to their station an pulled up a history of my stay in Thailand, they saw that I had been living here on back to back tourist visa's for years. They then asked me to show them money, which I did ($1,500), then asked if I was working in Thailand, to which I was not. I showed them my bank statements from home where I pull money out every month and it still wasn't good enough for them. 

They called me a liar and said that I was trying to trick them and ended up denying me entry into Thailand. They told me that if I would need at least a Non-immigrant B visa if I wanted to come back soon and not a tourist visa. I was locked up at the airport jail for 2-3 days trying to get a flight back to America. Lots of airlines just didn't want to deal with a deportee. It was a mess. 

Thanks for the report.  If you would, please send a picture of the refusal-stamp in your passport. Usually they deny based on not having the money.  I don't think we have seen one from anyone who showed the funds, and was then denied. 

Be aware, Visa-Exempts are expressly only for short-term, low-frequency visitors, per published statements from Immigration.  I am sorry to hear this happened to you, and hope your story can save others from falling into the same trap.  This is exactly why I will never "fly in" to Thailand - even with a Tourist Visa.  I believe this is why Poipet encourages people to "fly in" - to feed them into this trap. 

If denied at a land-border, I can turn around, and try again at another land-border crossing.  If denied consistently at every nearby land-border crossing, I will arrange to meet a Thai-friend at the border, who has just brought my stuff from Thailand, and spend my money somewhere else for awhile.  Everyone here without permanent-residency should be prepared to do this when/if the rules change - but especially those spending time here on Tourist Visas.  It may be awhile before they "get around" to kicking out the rest of the long-stay foreigners.  The pointless TM-30 harassment of all long stayers whose addresses are already known and reported (even those on PE visas) may be only the beginning.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I will never "fly in" to Thailand - even with a Tourist Visa. 

If denied at a land-border, I can turn around, and try again at another land-border crossing.  If denied consistently at every nearby land-border crossing, I will arrange to meet a Thai-friend at the border, who has just brought my stuff from Thailand, and spend my money somewhere else for awhile.

Interesting idea, I see the logic in it.

My concern would be though that they're more likely to deny me at a land border, and stamp my passport denied, which would then cause problems at all other borders and airports from that point on. 

If they deny you but don't stamp the passport, I like the strategy. 

here is my scenario;

Thailand has been my base for nearly 20 years and through almost all of this time i have been working on jobs that have month on / month off rotations (offshore kinda set up). I was married with a visa to match for most of this time but after my recent divorce the visa was cancelled. Since the cancellation of my Non O Marriage visa i have continued to return to Thailand every other month through a Visa -Exemption. In many instances i work in locations remote from any city or should i say city that would have a Thai consulate, so getting the opportunity to apply for a tourist visa is zero to none.

By staying just within the 90 days in 6 months guideline (for what its worth), carrying the required cash in hand for immigration, carrying my Thai bank book and return to work flight ticket, i feel confident i will not face any problems but some of the stories here are telling me otherwise.

My own mistrust of putting any large sums of money into anything in Thailand makes the Elite card a non starter for me. Fingers burnt once is enough!

I am almost 50 but because I am still working (albeit outside Thailand) the retirement visa is a also a non starter.

Are any TV members in the same situation, have similar circumstances, can give sound advice?

17 minutes ago, jspill said:

Interesting idea, I see the logic in it.

My concern would be though that they're more likely to deny me at a land border, and stamp my passport denied, which would then cause problems at all other borders and airports from that point on. 

If they deny you but don't stamp the passport, I like the strategy. 

I think the only time you get a "denied" stamp, is at the airport OR if you push the case hard at a border and more-or-less "demand" an official denial.  In all the cases I've read, they just tell you "No, go away," and few press it beyond this. 

Except for the Poipet crossing, I'm not sure if the "more likely to be denied at a land-crossing" is even true for those with Tourist Visas.  For exempts, this was considered true, but may no longer be the case with the "2 per calendar year" rule in place.

here is my scenario;

Thailand has been my base for nearly 20 years and through almost all of this time i have been working on jobs that have month on / month off rotations (offshore kinda set up). I was married with a visa to match for most of this time but after my recent divorce the visa was cancelled. Since the cancellation of my Non O Marriage visa i have continued to return to Thailand every other month through a Visa -Exemption. In many instances i work in locations remote from any city or should i say city that would have a Thai consulate, so getting the opportunity to apply for a tourist visa is zero to none.

By staying just within the 90 days in 6 months guideline (for what its worth), carrying the required cash in hand for immigration, carrying my Thai bank book and return to work flight ticket, i feel confident i will not face any problems but some of the stories here are telling me otherwise.

My own mistrust of putting any large sums of money into anything in Thailand makes the Elite card a non starter for me. Fingers burnt once is enough!

I am almost 50 but because I am still working (albeit outside Thailand) the retirement visa is a also a non starter.

Are any TV members in the same situation, have similar circumstances, can give sound advice?

I went through a period ,when doing rotational work, where they stopped me every trip. I explained my job (in Thai where possible) and showed them the air ticket. Not a big problem.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

15 minutes ago, Holmsedale25 said:

here is my scenario;

If you can get a multi-entry Tourist-Visa in your home country, the next time you are there, that would buy you some time.  It would be usable for entry until its "enter before" date, which is 6 months after issuance.

Holmesdale25:  You can get an extension for retirement (not a visa) if you are 50 or above and meet the income requirements.  Working abroad is not a disqualifier.  

The OP states that he once had a "Retirement Visa," therefore he can avoid the visa-exempt and tourist visa headaches and simply get a retirement extension with a multiple re-entry permit.  Nobody on this thread has reported any problems with different types of year-long extensions.  

2 hours ago, Holmsedale25 said:

here is my scenario;

Thanks for youre post.I was also looking for someone in youre situasion.I am on a 3 on 3 rotation and I have for 9 years now ,done exactly the same.I was taken aside once about 1,5 year ago but I havent had any isues since then.After my explanation and talking to my girlfriend on the phone they were happy and let me go.Im 44 and like you say.There isnt many opsions for us under 50 and not married.I do have a permenent residence book but nobody have asked to see it yet.Im not sure if it will make any difference either.Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you can get a multi-entry Tourist-Visa in your home country, the next time you are there, that would buy you some time.  It would be usable for entry until its "enter before" date, which is 6 months after issuance.

When you work on one part of the world and youre passport is from the other side.It dont make much sence to go there,when there is no rule or restrictions that say you have to.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2017 at 8:22 PM, yasin said:

June 2016 I was rejected by a young officer at Suvarnabhum and sent back to my home country on my own expenses (forced to change the date of my return ticket) although I was asked cash and showed the officer 4500 Euros + 700 Usd. After I've been held there for more than an hour and transefered to another office downstairs I asked what's going on and got replied "you don't have sufficient funds to stay in the kingdom". I showed him again all the money I had on me but he replied " Sorry! The other officer filled and signed the form already. It's too late now" And I was sent back to home country for not having enough cash but had indeed near 200.000 baht cash on me. As I came back again about a month later, not been asked one single question at another airport..

Sent from my PULP using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Why not going to a closer country with airasia ?

You should have made a drama in the airport and record all to post it on FB.

Why not going to a closer country with airasia ?

You should have made a drama in the airport and record all to post it on FB.

That's the first thing I asked them instead of going back home send me to Malaysia. But they said there's a law that forces me to go back to the country I came from, so that was refused.

Sent from my PULP using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

My decision to get a five-year Thai Elite Visa (TEV) is proving to be a smart move. I arrive and exit Thailand whenever I want and as many times as I want with never a problem in the two years I've had my TEV.

At this stage of my life I'm very happy to pay for the convince, time-savings and non-worry my TEV affords me. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Holmesdale25:  You can get an extension for retirement (not a visa) if you are 50 or above and meet the income requirements.  Working abroad is not a disqualifier.  

The OP states that he once had a "Retirement Visa," therefore he can avoid the visa-exempt and tourist visa headaches and simply get a retirement extension with a multiple re-entry permit.  Nobody on this thread has reported any problems with different types of year-long extensions.  

DogNo1;

Can you enlighten me further on how i obtain an "extension for retirement"? I will have no choice but to come back into Thailand in the coming days with my Visa Exempt only.

49 minutes ago, Holmsedale25 said:

Can you enlighten me further on how i obtain an "extension for retirement"? I will have no choice but to come back into Thailand in the coming days with my Visa Exempt only.

you can go to immigration office in bkk, chaengwattana (CW), and apply to change your visa exempt to a non imm O visa.  the O visa is for 90 days.  during the last 30 days of that 90, you then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.  you have to show 800,000thb in a thai bank or 65,000/mo in income.  you use form TM87 to do the conversion. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, buick said:

you can go to immigration office in bkk, chaengwattana (CW), and apply to change your visa exempt to a non imm O visa.  the O visa is for 90 days.  during the last 30 days of that 90, you then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.  you have to show 800,000thb in a thai bank or 65,000/mo in income.  you use form TM87 to do the conversion. 

Bangkok is not the only place it can be done. There are a few offices in the central region that are authorized to accept the application. Chiang Mai immigration can also accept the applications.

You must have at least 15 days remaining on the entry or the 30 day extension of it to apply the visa.

It requires two trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, buick said:

buick & ubonjoe,

Thanks for the information. My only problem is I leave the country after 27 days to head back to work, so never get the opportunity to stay for 90 days. Do you know if its possible on a shorter term?

6 minutes ago, Holmsedale25 said:

buick & ubonjoe,

Thanks for the information. My only problem is I leave the country after 27 days to head back to work, so never get the opportunity to stay for 90 days. Do you know if its possible on a shorter term?

You could get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you return and then apply for the extension. You could apply for it as soon as you get the visa and entry stamps done at immigration.

If applying in Bangkok and a few other offices you can apply for the extension up to 45 days early.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry valid when you return and then apply for the extension. You could apply for it as soon as you get the visa and entry stamps done at immigration.

If applying in Bangkok and a few other offices you can apply for the extension up to 45 days early.

Perfect... Thank You

You have received correct information.  Good luck on getting your one-year extension and a multiple re-entry permit.  If, due to your work schedule, you are never in the country for ninety consecutive days you won't have to bother with 90-day reports.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:08 PM, chuang said:

You can only give money to this country and Thailand will give you nothing at best...so why come to Thailand to give money, go and give your money somewhere else..

I have known of foreigners who have been living here for donkey years and have no problems at least not with their visas..

Ha ha, i've probably been coming to Thailand longer than you are old..... And yes, it's looking easier everyday just to forget Thailand until it grows up........ Malaysia welcomes foreigners and tourists and gives free visas......... You can own a house, a car, a bank account, and not every Somchai has got his hand out for handout.......... It's sad what's happened to Thailand, but then again, greed always shines through..........

• Like 2

On 5 March 2017 at 10:02 AM, seancbk said:

There is no such thing as a 30 day Tourist Visa.    

A Single Entry Tourist Visas allow you 60 days in Thailand, and can be extended a further 30 days whilst you are in Thailand.

I don't see how that's correct 

recently arrived got the stamp to leave in 30 days 

I needed to stay an 7 which was a complete pain 

had to go sit in the cue at im office pay 1990b to get 30 days more but only needed 7 

not it sure where the 60 comes from ? 

10 minutes ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:
On 3/5/2017 at 5:02 PM, seancbk said:

There is no such thing as a 30 day Tourist Visa.    

A Single Entry Tourist Visas allow you 60 days in Thailand, and can be extended a further 30 days whilst you are in Thailand.

had to go sit in the cue at im office pay 1990b to get 30 days more but only needed 7 

Already answered correctly by lkv

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

You have received correct information.  Good luck on getting your one-year extension and a multiple re-entry permit.  If, due to your work schedule, you are never in the country for ninety consecutive days you won't have to bother with 90-day reports.

I used to stay here on the one year multi B visas.   I never did a 90 day report, I used to just fly out for a few days and then back in.

No one even told me there was such a thing as a 90 day report.   

1 hour ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:

Everyone knew what you meant but thaivisa posters are very anal about the correct nomenclature. I can understand the need for accuracy in certain situations but this wasn't one of them. 

Next time call it a visa on arrival that gets them riled up as well :)

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1