Rejected entry to Thailand because too many tourist visa

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

He says he has a birth certificate for a child so then he could get a non O.  I'm asking why he dont do that. 

He may have other reasons, but the way I might look at it is like this. There is no law that says people with Thai children are barred from using visa exempt entries. Visiting Thailand for a few days without a visa is both cheaper (not a major consideration) and less hassle than traveling to a consulate to apply for an unnecessary Non Imm O visa. It is prudent to verify that you can continue to do this, in case the inconvenience of applying for visas is truly necessary, but it seems reasonable to continue using visa exempt entries as long as this is possible without undue risk.

• Like 2

Somebody just liking one of my posts has reminded me of this thread. When I arrived few days Indian Lady 2 in front of me in immigration queue had the third degree of questions. Appeared she was on her own and quite pretty. Am guessing immigration had few thoughts.

After about 10 minutes I politely called forward as it was heaving either let her in or deal with her elsewhere. Needless to say as I've chirped up everybody else does as well riding my back..! With that Immigration did just that. As I subsequently was dealt with I was extremely polite and courteous !!

Edited by Chivas

On 04/03/2017 at 7:26 PM, Penefattore said:

exactly, in ten years I have never been asked to show cash , this time it was just a ruse to be able to fill the report , the young guy shouting at me was quite aware that I actually had plenty of funds to stay in Thailand.

How was the young guy aware you had plenty of funds? You said that all you did was show your ATM cards. Why didn't you show him your passbook that would show your millions of baht in the bank?

"When asked for money proof I showed my Thai banks ATM cards but they wanted to see only cash (that I could not access before Immigration barrier) "

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

He may have other reasons, but the way I might look at it is like this. There is no law that says people with Thai children are barred from using visa exempt entries. Visiting Thailand for a few days without a visa is both cheaper (not a major consideration) and less hassle than traveling to a consulate to apply for an unnecessary Non Imm O visa. It is prudent to verify that you can continue to do this, in case the inconvenience of applying for visas is truly necessary, but it seems reasonable to continue using visa exempt entries as long as this is possible without undue risk.

Spot on BritTim.To get a 1year multi entry, I would have to go to my own country and that would be a major cost.That is my only chance not being married and under 50.

• Like 2

ok ive been on here alot lately asking about the visa exempts and

i will be going to mae sai this week aka burma to avoid the dreaded

laos bus from CM...esp after they switched up on the "free visa" ext.

So ive been seeing alot of DENIALS posted--heres my scenario

USA passport--no overstays

arrived in bkk jan 18-2017--go 30 day stamp-free

was going to laos after but heard of the "free visa"

extension until AUGUST so i delayed that horrid trip

THEN i hear they CANCELLED that free visa after all..

I extended that 30 day bkk stamp in CM for 1900 bt

I now have to leave by march 18....again no visa yet

and NOT wanting to go to laos in a long haul bus

What is my chance of pulling off ANOTHER 30 day EXEMPT

stamp at MAE SAI-burma?...then extend that again in CM

and then RETURN in 60 days for my 2ND and final land crossing

I DONT have a departing ticket or alot of cash BUT trying to

take my bank book showing recent 30k deposit and also

hoping to book DEPARTURE flight for when i leave in may

Percentage of success or failure--i am concerned about DENIED ENTRY

or have all the reports of denials been from less than "quality tourists"?

11 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

What you want to do now is only to cross the border and come back in I guess.I would not put any money on that working now.The cost for you would not be any bigger if you get a 60 day at a consulate.1900 tb.The only reason I think it works for me,is that I have at least 3 weeks out, between every entry.

Sometimes its not so smart to listen to everything that is posted on here.It gets you stressed out.But please post it here if you go for it and it works.Good luck

Edited by Odin Norway
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Though they would probably stop you going out at Mae Sai if there were any issues on the IO screen......strictly for visa-exempt on arrival you should have 20k in cash on you, not a bank statement scan (that requirement is for paid visas !), booked air ticket out the country with verifiable code, accommodation reservation or rental contract in LOS and some kind itinerary scribbled down for your time back in LOS. Reason Mae Sai would not let you out that exit if it looks like you could not get back in is...that area just over the border is a restricted area on your Burma entry stamp. That is to say, you could not travel on to Rangoon from there if they bounced you back to Burma from Thai entry point , as your entry to Burma only allows a restricted area of that town as far as I know, unless they changed that condition of entry to Burma (?)

= IOs would avoid stranding you in a kind of 'no-mans land' at Mae Sai for Non-Burmese.

Edited by freedomnow

15 minutes ago, Odin Norway said:

What you want to do now is only to cross the border and come back in I guess.I would not put any money on that working now.The cost for you would not be any bigger if you get a 60 day at a consulate.1900 tb.The only reason I think it works for me,is that I have at least 3 weeks out, between every entry.

Sometimes its not so smart to listen to everything that is posted on here.It gets you stressed out.But please post it here if you go for it and it works.Good luck

2 visa-exempts exit/entries per calendar year appears to include Mae Sai again after that route was stopped for issuing visa-exempt in the last few years.

Edited by freedomnow

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

2 visa-exempts exit/entries per calendar year appears to include Mae Sai again after that route was stopped for issuing visa-exempt in the last few years.

So with the TWO visa exempts apparently ALLOWED i was hoping to do

just THAT---go this weekend--extend in CM and then try again for final 2nd,

and yes i was going to try the "turnaround" --has worked before but now

feeling the pressure as things seem to be tightening up--but i AM a tourist.

24 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

So with the TWO visa exempts apparently ALLOWED i was hoping to do

just THAT---go this weekend--extend in CM and then try again for final 2nd,

and yes i was going to try the "turnaround" --has worked before but now

feeling the pressure as things seem to be tightening up--but i AM a tourist.

Try emailing the visa van services in CM. Maybe they have taken some customers already.

They are always up-to-the-minute.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the Thai Govt should come out with some clear rules regarding the length of time within a one-year period that visitors are allowed to stay on visa-exempt or tourist visa entries such as 180 or 240 days within a one-year period. For example, if you are entering and have already stayed for two 90 -day tourist visas (including the 30 day extension,) so that your total stay within the year will equal or exceed 240 days, you should be notified that you will not be allowed to re-enter for 125 days.  The numbers are messy though so it's easy to see why no coherent plan has been put forward.  Perhaps some new visas should be designed to accommodate shift workers who actually are long-term residents but come and go frequently.  As it stands, we are at the mercy of the personal interpretation of the immigration officers regarding the number of short-term visas and visa-exempts that are acceptable within any given period.

5 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

It seems to me that the Thai Govt should come out with some clear rules regarding the length of time within a one-year period that visitors are allowed to stay on visa-exempt or tourist visa entries such as 180 or 240 days within a one-year period. For example, if you are entering and have already stayed for two 90 -day tourist visas (including the 30 day extension,) so that your total stay within the year will equal or exceed 240 days, you should be notified that you will not be allowed to re-enter for 125 days.  The numbers are messy though so it's easy to see why no coherent plan has been put forward.  Perhaps some new visas should be designed to accommodate shift workers who actually are long-term residents but come and go frequently.  As it stands, we are at the mercy of the personal interpretation of the immigration officers regarding the number of short-term visas and visa-exempts that are acceptable within any given period.

That would make too much sense.

Also, I get the distinct feeling that (unlike many cultures) they believe in more decentralized organization rather than centralized organization.  In essence they intentionally believe decisions should be left up to the individual officers/offices.

Not good for us... but let's be honest... if we take a step back and look objectively: The tourist visa is really meant for *tourist* which can be inferred as someone who only spend 1-2 months a year in Thailand.  They simply lack good options for 'Long-Stay Tourists' (and they are not recruited to cater to those who wish that option).

But yes, clear rules would be great... even if decentralized, if each embassy would be clear that would be great... but then it makes it harder for them to change the rules :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JayBird said:

That would make too much sense.

Also, I get the distinct feeling that (unlike many cultures) they believe in more decentralized organization rather than centralized organization.  In essence they intentionally believe decisions should be left up to the individual officers/offices.

Not good for us... but let's be honest... if we take a step back and look objectively: The tourist visa is really meant for *tourist* which can be inferred as someone who only spend 1-2 months a year in Thailand.  They simply lack good options for 'Long-Stay Tourists' (and they are not recruited to cater to those who wish that option).

But yes, clear rules would be great... even if decentralized, if each embassy would be clear that would be great... but then it makes it harder for them to change the rules :P

They can change the rules at any time - as they have with the 2-at-land-borders per calendar-year limit.  They must know how much money they would lose if they put in the limits suggested here. 

What we see happening at many Consulates, and now at the Pedang Besar border (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/973671-cash-rule-now-being-enforced-at-padang-besar-crossing/), appears to be ensuring those coming in 'have money' to spend.  The problem is, 20K means little. A visitor should need to show 100K, at least, but not in "cash."  I use travelers checks for most of the border-entry 20K money-proof, but I do not want 100K Baht tied up in travelers checks.  Bank-statements or some other system needs to be applied.

But, just when you think you may understand their logic, there is this:  If you are coming from China with almost no money to spend, that's ok, and you get a free visa (through August, now).  And if you are a likely illegal-worker from a neighboring country, the 2-crossings limit does not apply, so they are in the clear, as well.   It seems backwards and upside-down, when comparing the stated-goals to the policies-enforced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

They can change the rules at any time - as they have with the 2-at-land-borders per calendar-year limit.  They must know how much money they would lose if they put in the limits suggested here. 

What we see happening at many Consulates, and now at the Pedang Besar border (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/973671-cash-rule-now-being-enforced-at-padang-besar-crossing/), appears to be ensuring those coming in 'have money' to spend.  The problem is, 20K means little. A visitor should need to show 100K, at least, but not in "cash."  I use travelers checks for most of the border-entry 20K money-proof, but I do not want 100K Baht tied up in travelers checks.  Bank-statements or some other system needs to be applied.

But, just when you think you may understand their logic, there is this:  If you are coming from China with almost no money to spend, that's ok, and you get a free visa (through August, now).  And if you are a likely illegal-worker from a neighboring country, the 2-crossings limit does not apply, so they are in the clear, as well.   It seems backwards and upside-down, when comparing the stated-goals to the policies-enforced.

You don't have to tell me its backwards.  I show the Embassy a big bank balance, European visas, spend 1M+ per year (and can prove it through billing if they want)) and they still don't want to give me a visa. 

Guess just not quality enough for the little girl in the embassy.  Meanwhile, with backpackers who can scrape up 20k collectively can get in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBird said:

You don't have to tell me its backwards.  I show the Embassy a big bank balance, European visas, spend 1M+ per year (and can prove it through billing if they want)) and they still don't want to give me a visa. 

Guess just not quality enough for the little girl in the embassy.  Meanwhile, with backpackers who can scrape up 20k collectively can get in.

I don't believe it's the little girl in the embassy. I believe they follow written or unwritten rules from up above. Consul / Ambassador. That most likely follows orders himself from higher above. The fact that they are not fair and inconsistent is a different story.

Don't take it too personally, I did and it created unnecessary stress in the past.It is what it is, at least we keep ourselves informed, that's what this forum is all about, and choose a friendlier embassy/consulate.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 4:47 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

They are in departures not arrivals as I have said.I wish people would read instead of posting away for nothing.

I wish you would follow your own advice.  How does your shoe taste?

http://www.bangkok.com/information/airport.htm

Money exchange counters and ATMs are located along the three walls of the Departure Hall (fourth floor) and everywhere throughout the Arrival Hall (second floor), all open 24 hours and provide acceptable rates.

3 hours ago, csabo said:

Money exchange counters and ATMs are located along the three walls of the Departure Hall (fourth floor) and everywhere throughout the Arrival Hall (second floor), all open 24 hours and provide acceptable rates.

the debate on the ATMs in the arrival hall was whether they were any before immigration.  it is well known that they are located in the arrivals hall after immigration.  i'm not sure your link made it clear that there are ATMs before immigration.  there was one person who posted a photo and it appeared that an ATM was before immigration but i've been through many times and haven't seen them.  so i don't count on there being one until more proof is provided.

I've yet to hear of a case where a person was asked to show money, didn't have it, but was directed to withdraw it from an accessible ATM machine, so they could meet the entry-requirements. Does anyone really believe that is how things would happen?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I've yet to hear of a case where a person was asked to show money, didn't have it, but was directed to withdraw it from an accessible ATM machine, so they could meet the entry-requirements. Does anyone really believe that is how things would happen?

It is unlikely we will ever hear of such a case.

The lack of cash is only ever used as a pretext when the immigration official has already decided to deny entry. The only way you would be allowed to get the money from an ATM is if the officials changed their minds about wanting to block entry. In some places (Phuket, perhaps) suggesting you might withdraw a little extra to help change the officials' decision might work, but usually the officials' decision is final, and there is nothing you can do.

• Like 1

As far as I can understand, the main issue about ATMs and Swampy is whether they are available between the time you get off the plane and get to immigration. For the purposes of showing the 20,000 (or whatever your visa or non visa may require), it is irrelevent how many are available on the other side of immigration.

My last entry to Thailand I made sure I brought the cash with me from the UK - but I also wanted to find out if any ATMs were available because I don't want to be carrying around that amount of cash. So, after getting off my flight, I walked the length of the terminal - past both entrances to passport control ( stopping shortly after the second entrance to immigration - coming from the direction of International) - looking for an ATM.

I did not see any ATMS - I did see some Foreign exchange booths - so it may be possible to use a Visa or similar debit or a credit card to withdraw the 20,000 although I am guessing the rates are not great ( I did not check).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, athousand said:

As far as I can understand, the main issue about ATMs and Swampy is whether they are available between the time you get off the plane and get to immigration. For the purposes of showing the 20,000 (or whatever your visa or non visa may require), it is irrelevent how many are available on the other side of immigration.

My last entry to Thailand I made sure I brought the cash with me from the UK - but I also wanted to find out if any ATMs were available because I don't want to be carrying around that amount of cash. So, after getting off my flight, I walked the length of the terminal - past both entrances to passport control ( stopping shortly after the second entrance to immigration - coming from the direction of International) - looking for an ATM.

I did not see any ATMS - I did see some Foreign exchange booths - so it may be possible to use a Visa or similar debit or a credit card to withdraw the 20,000 although I am guessing the rates are not great ( I did not check).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The rates are not that bad and probably a lot better than you would get in UK or USA before flying.

• Like 1

It has never been possible to continue getting back to back tourist visas to enter Thailand because the immigration will soon start asking your source of income to live in Thailand without working here.

You are dreaming if you think that repeated tourist visas will let you visit Thailand on a permanent tourist visa.

For the record, I am over 65  years of age, and get a monthly retirement pension from the U.S. government social security system as a retiree which qualifies me to get a yearly retirement extension in Thailand each year.

I also travel in and out of Thailand when I can afford it, and sometimes return on a tourist visa which I often get from a Thai consulate outside of Thailand.

It just happened that in January I got one of those free Thai tourist visa from Hong Kong that the Thai government allowed then to encourage tourism and I am on that visa currently.

6 hours ago, alocacoc said:

What do you speak about? It was and it is possible. How could i stay 9 years on TV?

Back to back works fine if you spend more time outside then inside the country.But I guess they dont class it as back to back then do they.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, JackThompson said:

The problem is, 20K means little. A visitor should need to show 100K, at least, but not in "cash."  I use travelers checks for most of the border-entry 20K money-proof, but I do not want 100K Baht tied up in travelers checks.  Bank-statements or some other system needs to be applied.

20k is more than enough for most people on the assumption they are here for 2-3 weeks. Hotel is already paid for over the 'net and includes breakfast and a massage. When else other than lunch and dinner with a couple of beers do you need to pay for on a daily basis? This does however go along with 'Bank-statements or some other system needs to be applied' because much of the rest of the world runs mostly on plastic. I say plastic but what I mean is non cash transactions.

It seems self evident to me that Thailand Ltd doesn't have a [insert word of choice] clue with regard to how the rest of the world works. Travellers cheques that have been unredeemed and used as a form of proof of wealth is a scam likely to be older than I am. Before the internet you used to have to buy the fake ones but these days everyone has or has access to a computer and a printer. Rest of the world has picked up on this scam but it seems Thailand Ltd has missed the boat. I wouldn't do it because it is dishonest so will take my 20k Baht in cash just in case they ask. Incidentally, that 20k cash will last me so long that sometimes, 3 months later, I just need 15k to top it up.

I mostly use the barter system such as providing free wifi to the locals and in return no charge for laundry. Local wants to get stock from Makro (I ride a saleng) and in return no charge for rice and such like. One of the not quite so local bars has 24/7 use of one of my motorbikes on the understanding that they pay for fuel and a flat tyre. It return I get free beer and food should I want it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, notmyself said:

20k is more than enough for most people on the assumption they are here for 2-3 weeks. Hotel is already paid for over the 'net and includes breakfast and a massage. When else other than lunch and dinner with a couple of beers do you need to pay for on a daily basis? This does however go along with 'Bank-statements or some other system needs to be applied' because much of the rest of the world runs mostly on plastic. I say plastic but what I mean is non cash transactions.

It seems self evident to me that Thailand Ltd doesn't have a [insert word of choice] clue with regard to how the rest of the world works. Travellers cheques that have been unredeemed and used as a form of proof of wealth is a scam likely to be older than I am. Before the internet you used to have to buy the fake ones but these days everyone has or has access to a computer and a printer. Rest of the world has picked up on this scam but it seems Thailand Ltd has missed the boat. I wouldn't do it because it is dishonest so will take my 20k Baht in cash just in case they ask. Incidentally, that 20k cash will last me so long that sometimes, 3 months later, I just need 15k to top it up.

I mostly use the barter system such as providing free wifi to the locals and in return no charge for laundry. Local wants to get stock from Makro (I ride a saleng) and in return no charge for rice and such like. One of the not quite so local bars has 24/7 use of one of my motorbikes on the understanding that they pay for fuel and a flat tyre. It return I get free beer and food should I want it.

Just the kind of quality tourist that Thailand needs.

Unless your post is as tongue in cheek as mine.

And if one day you have an accident or illness how will you 'bargain' that one?

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just the kind of quality tourist that Thailand needs.

Unless your post is as tongue in cheek as mine.

And if one day you have an accident or illness how will you 'bargain' that one?

The post is on the topic of cash and needing to show 20k upon entry. With regard to health I'm insured up to the eyeballs but again, that is not cash.

• Like 1