New excise formula to raise prices of alcohol in Thailand, but not as much as feared

webfact

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

plus if they think it won't have an impact on tourism they are wrong

the problem is that Thais making these decisions travel to the west and frequent expensive joints like nightclubs and hotels in the big cities were prices are generally sky high and they think Thailand is extremely cheap in comparison - they are wrong and misguided in their thinking

Exactly what I think. Met two young Germans about a year ago sitting in front of my personal 7/11 looking rather pissed-off, asking me how everything was so expensive around here. Ok, Baht had hit an all-time low of 35-something to the Euro, and they had been planning to do a 2-weeks-tour of Thailand on a budget of 1800 Baht a day plus accommodation. And they were a little out of touch with things, having eaten the last two days at McD's, been frantically searching the area for Becks beer, of all things, and were just after having been ripped off for a taxi back from the local tiger zoo at 500 Baht per nose.

I had to let them in how things work here, the local beer was ok, what the prices are, you shouldn't eat at 7/11 unless having a hypoglycaemic attack, certainly not at McD, and while their budget was sorta OK for Patty, better stay here for the two weeks and have some fun with it. Looked much happier after 4 hours at a local bar stall round 5 a.m.

Other story is about an elderly German couple who had been coming here for the last 15 years or so for 3 months worth of holiday every time, who reported they formerly had been saving some money on that trip, compared to what they would have spent on living in Germany, now they could only just about make it cost-neutral, including having Thai-food getting a share of their drinks for the evening at a supermarket. Good couple of expats have quit the country, too, healthcare obviously plays a role here. Could spell problems for Thailand in the long run, TAT is apparently fixated on tourist numbers, which would include our friends, the Chinese and Indians, but excludes the nice and steady revenue a country gets having people living there on a permanent basis transferring their income from one national economy to theirs.

Just to face the facts. Stop complaining, pay the price and drink.
Or just don´t drink!

Everyone that thinks it´s too expensive, should just be happy. Nobody buy something they think is too expensive, and that is just a virtual massive extra saving!

Edited by Get Real

41 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Apart from Muslim countries, Thailand now has the most expensive alcohol prices worldwide, if half a days pay only gets you one beer in a decent bar.

Personally I think it's good alcohol and cigarettes should go up in price. It's should be classed as a luxury item, both cause antisocial issues.

That should help tourism a lot, Cambodia and Vietnam sound a lot better, I'll wait and see what happens.

The only downside is you have to live there. Been to both and ok for a few days but thailand is the real deal however if you can't afford to drink here and it's your primary driver then knock yourself out.. Go for it!

3 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Well, yes, hopefully they all 'retaliate', about time they did.

Both taxes on alc as well as tobacco are a big hoax as in 'we have to collect (and up them every other year) because of the huge costs for our medical systems ...' => all BS, steaming one.

I have yet to read about a single country that really dedicates these taxes for medicare as they all pretend & as it certainly should be - because if so there would be golden showers (i mean the fittings ;-) in all the hospitals & retirement homes, no problem with elderly-care at all and no monthly contribution from salaries necessary to begin with.

Instead all that tax-money goes straight into 'general budgets' where it just vanishes, getting wasted on say submarines (locally) or politicians inflated salaries (everywhere), just for instance ... 

Mmm... did you research your assertion at all?

estimated social cost

estimated taxation revenue

issues with reduced number of people now smoking ( declining in Australia) garnering less revenue, despite the fact that the cost is pre existing and lags behind revenue collection, forcing costs up for those still smoking

its a big issue... one that has seen cig prices soar in Australia, to be amongst the most expensive in the world

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/34F55AF632F67B70CA2573F60005D42B/$File/mono64.pdf

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Mmm... did you research your assertion at all?

estimated social cost

estimated taxation revenue

issues with reduced number of people now smoking ( declining in Australia) garnering less revenue, despite the fact that the cost is pre existing and lags behind revenue collection, forcing costs up for those still smoking

its a big issue... one that has seen cig prices soar in Australia, to be amongst the most expensive in the world

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/34F55AF632F67B70CA2573F60005D42B/$File/mono64.pdf

May all well be, that's why i said 'alc & tobacco' explicitly - not to mention (basically not taxed) sugar & fat, the number one negative factors in all health-care costs nowadays.

But fine, scratch tobacco totally in that calculation & just leave alcohol-taxation (for now) - and my post stands valid still, certainly for my country of origin as well as Thailand at least ... 

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Rather selfish attitude. Plenty of people smoke and plenty of poor people smoke. I don't think this is an argument about the pros and cons of smoking. It's more about a Junta that's running out of money and is going to get this back by taking it from the ordinary persons pocket. A blatant tax grab. 

Why selfish?  I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me.  That's not selfish, but it is recognising the anti-social attitude of smokers  apart from any detrimental effects on the smoker and those whose air he/she selfishly pollutes.  

If any people are selfish, it is smokers.  

22 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Fragrant jasmine rice is bog standard rice here.  It may be luxury in Europe but it's everyday food here.  

Well, wine is 'bog standard' back in Europe too, so the very high taxation here is just greed plus protectionism of local alc-production/corporations ... 

8 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

It doesn't affect me, so I couldn't care less.

It affects me because I drink beer, but I still happy to pay for now.  I'm not complaining about any rises.  My choice to spend my money or not or to drink or not.  

As for smoking, I haven't smoked for 38 years so I think I am over that by now.  

14 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Well, wine is 'bog standard' back in Europe too, so the very high taxation here is just greed plus protectionism of local alc-production/corporations ... 

Not disputing any of that.  On that basis, better not try to import potatoes here, then.  

And it's also as was alluded to upthread, where well to do Thais (who are often in positions of power over here) go abroad and think we are all rich.  So that may also be why BMWs. Mercs  etc are also taxed to the hilt when imported.

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Why selfish?  I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me.  That's not selfish, but it is recognising the anti-social attitude of smokers  apart from any detrimental effects on the smoker and those whose air he/she selfishly pollutes.  

If any people are selfish, it is smokers.  

Yeah, because all the ppl roaming streets late at night, looking for fights and king hitting anyone they think they can get away with don't drink but only smoke..

Just like the smoke and drive ppl having all those car accidents after a late night at the bar smoking cigarettes but of course not drinking.

Oh, and let's not forget about all the domestic violence incidents that happen due to smoking, rapes due to smoking and other stupid decisions that happen after a night out smoking.

Sorry, but your post is idiotic..

42 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Not disputing any of that.  On that basis, better not try to import potatoes here, then.  

And it's also as was alluded to upthread, where well to do Thais (who are often in positions of power over here) go abroad and think we are all rich.  So that may also be why BMWs. Mercs  etc are also taxed to the hilt when imported.

Funny you mention potatoes, if i see them at the market (not always available of course) they are extremely overpriced not only in comparison to 'normal' local veggies but also compared to Tesco which is usually distinctively pricier in that segment (also not always available there tough).

Same seems to go for sweet pepper ...

So yes, your 'reasoning' for ridiculously high import taxes here certainly is a factor too - with wine not being a local poison for instance.

Still, i think the main reason is economical protectionism (a la Trump) which should just get reciprocated ... 

5 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

Yeah, because all the ppl roaming streets late at night, looking for fights and king hitting anyone they think they can get away with don't drink but only smoke..

Just like the smoke and drive ppl having all those car accidents after a late night at the bar smoking cigarettes but of course not drinking.

Oh, and let's not forget about all the domestic violence incidents that happen due to smoking, rapes due to smoking and other stupid decisions that happen after a night out smoking.

Sorry, but your post is idiotic..

"would you mind not eating while I'm smoking ..."

The smugglers are upgrading their vehicle camouflage - I hear. 

Thai logic - less income as pricing is too high already results in ....... increasing the price! 

Wondering what the beer kings like Charoen and Bhirombakhdi will do about it. Their business must be nosediving in favour of what and whom. 

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

that still takes a bottle of Leo to around bt70 and LM cigs to around bt150. SMS bt90. Expensive. Being that cigs not too long ago went up 25%. Thats up 115% in around 2 yrs.

I don't think so.  Firstly, you need to know the retail price of a bottle not including tax.  Then the tax would be a max of 30% of that retail price.  They've moved the tax calculation to the consumer as opposed the producer.  I think you'll find it's not that bad.

17 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Thailand taxes wine from anywhere as luxury goods.  Is every country which exports wine to Thailand going to retaliate by imposing higher tariffs on a food item?

I hope so.

• 3 months later...

Did you noticed, guys, that casked fruit wine like Peter Vella 4 L or Cecar Creek 4.5 L  have seen their price rised twice in less than 2 monthes ?

From 699 it became first 749 then i just saw yesterday 799 for the PV house red :(

Since last December I noticed beer had unchangead price but the quantity was dow, from 630 to 620 ml.

I don't know if it's only tax or inflation also.  Sad !

Leo and Chang?

folks that can read and write..... drink that stuff?

I know it has a label that says "beer" and a hops taste somehow... but take a good look... and try it warm instead of ice cold. 

that ain't beer. where do they get that over the top yellow color from do you suppose? 

be careful out there! 

even some of the local white lightening might be better for ya... AND no taxes!!!

Edited by maewang99

23 minutes ago, maewang99 said:

Leo and Chang?

folks that can read and write..... drink that stuff?

I know it has a label that says "beer" and a hops taste somehow... but take a good look... and try it warm instead of ice cold. 

that ain't beer. where do they get that over the top yellow color from do you suppose? 

be careful out there! 

even some of the local white lightening might be better for ya... AND no taxes!!!

The bright yellow color comes from the type of malt used.

Now if you really want to inject some preservatives drink Heineken.