Insurance premium cut for vehicles with dashboard cams in the pipeline

2 hours ago, BsBs said:

Who wants to drive a isuzu ?

Apparently lots of people.

2016  December result. Whole of 2016 & YTD 2017 figures similar.

Toyota  18,751  32.7%

Isuzu   15,516  27.0%

Ford       4,932  8.6%

Mitsubishi   4,797  8.4%

Honda  3,601  6.3%

Nissan  2,628  4.6%

On 3/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Sorry but i get lost in the part about caps sunglasses etc whats that all about?

Once you get winked by the BiB then put on a cap, sunglasses and this mouth protection some people wear these days - keep 'em handy in the glove compartment or somewhere. Once you lower the window the cop (completely covered up with helmet, sunglasses and mouth protection) will face you looking almost the same and that confuses him.
He will ask you to remove all this and - tit for tat - same goes for him while you fingerprint to the camera in your front left corner of the passenger cabin. He'll send you away immediately - works wonders! 

11 hours ago, sotsira said:

A dash cam is a great accessory to have, especially here in Thailand,

it could make the difference of being blamed for an accident that wasn't

your fault and also keep the BiB off your back.

If insurance companies do go ahead with this idea of being rewarded with 

a premium discount, then it would only make sense if they request a front and 

a rear camera to be installed. 

It's a 50-50 chance that video footage would be beneficial to them in the event 

of an accident coming in the direction of the rear just as much as from the front

of the vehicle.

What about Side T Bone, and  Sky Divers, you can only do so much. Isuzu are at least trying. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the insurance companies operating in LOS are tired of paying out because of stuff being "fixed" to extract their companies funds..Video of an incident will perhaps solve their problem and save bundles.......

On 3/12/2017 at 10:33 AM, BsBs said:

Very popular in Australia with people who tow caravans or boats,They are built by a truck manufacturer and made so they last if carrying or towing a heavy load

Not so many fancy add on like cruise control etc which i never use in Thailand anyway

GPS and a backup camera are the only important extras in my opinion

Have the best reputation for customer care and service in Thailand by a recent poll taken

If we buy another pickup truck Isuzu and Toyota are on my shopping list to compare, none of the other makes at present

On 12/03/2017 at 10:46 AM, darksidedog said:

Why do I suspect that even when you have video of the incident, it will still end up being the farangs fault?

A few months back was parked on the side of the street, look up and see a car coming directly towards me on the wrong side of the road at about 70km/h. Some guy fell asleep at the wheel (was 4pm) and crashed straight into me. Car was badly damaged, girlfriends arm fractured, I was fine. As soon as the driver woke up and came out of his car, he immediately tried to blame it all on me and said to everyone that I pulled out of the soi without looking etc etc.

I went to the hospital with my girlfriend and let my Thai friend coordinate with the police and insurance companies etc. About 20 min later on the way to the hospital I had already transferred the footage from the dash cam wirelessly to my iphone, edited it and trimmed the it and sent the relevant 8 sec clip to my friend who was speaking with the other party and police etc. She said when she showed the owner of the other car the clip his face changed quite dramatically. It was irrefutable evidence that nobody, not the police, the insurance companies could deny who was at fault. It was also very helpful that we were not moving in the car.

Fast forward 3 months the insurance companies are still trying to get out of paying the full amount, but there was never any issues with who was at fault, anyhow with the help of a lawyer we are in the process of forcing them to settle for what is just and fair.

Edited by madhav

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, MickTurator said:

Has anyone actually got the discount yet ?

I renewed my insurance this month and was told they are not giving the discount yet.

I suspect this is BS.

I could have gotten the discount. They wanted the purchase note and photo though, and since I quite often forget to switch it on, potentially leading to claim troubles in case of an accident, I decided to forego on the discount. That is with AXA through AA.

Thank you.

When he comes back with the insurance certificate I will tell him, in no uncertain terms, that unless I get my discount I will not be renewing next year.

I am with AIA insurance.

Can you remember how much discount you were offered?

14 hours ago, MickTurator said:

Thank you.

When he comes back with the insurance certificate I will tell him, in no uncertain terms, that unless I get my discount I will not be renewing next year.

I am with AIA insurance.

Can you remember how much discount you were offered?

I think it was 5%.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2017 at 10:33 AM, BsBs said:

Who wants to drive an Isuzu???????? ME.

I would love to drive ours.

When insurance was due for renewal, wife asked about discount, and got 5% no problem. Only had to send photos of camera fitted.

Edited by colinneil

• 2 months later...

Just came to this thread. An insurance company quoted me this week for my car cover, I knocked them down  to a better rate and they agreed. Then I told them I had a dashcam and they said 'already included in the quote'. I reminded the they didn't know about the camera when they accepted my counter offer, they said 'oh, we give the discount to all drivers, whether they have camera or not'. I don't think the Office of Insurance would be very happy with that, where's the incentive to get a camera?

My problem is they are the lowest quote anyway so I wouldn't want to upset them until after I get my policy. :/

17 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Just came to this thread. An insurance company quoted me this week for my car cover, I knocked them down  to a better rate and they agreed. Then I told them I had a dashcam and they said 'already included in the quote'. I reminded the they didn't know about the camera when they accepted my counter offer, they said 'oh, we give the discount to all drivers, whether they have camera or not'. I don't think the Office of Insurance would be very happy with that, where's the incentive to get a camera?

My problem is they are the lowest quote anyway so I wouldn't want to upset them until after I get my policy. :/

And you are going to trust this company to fulfill their policy agreements in case of an accident, based on the interaction you just had with them ?

555 - good luck with that

45 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And you are going to trust this company to fulfill their policy agreements in case of an accident, based on the interaction you just had with them ?

555 - good luck with that

I had a small claim with them last year and they were fine and quite efficient, even in the call out time after the accident. In any case I now found a cheaper one with very good 3rd party cover levels and cheaper premium, so I'll try them this year. A lot is made of using major companies like AXA, etc as they trade on their good name. I've been insuring in the Middle East/Far East for well over a decade and found cheaper companies that offer good service and cover, the same with health insurance where my family's claims are not infrequent, forget BUPA. :)

Insurance calcs totally baffle me ... have just had a renewal quote from Bangkok Insurance ... my wife did have some discussions with them and we increased the other party cover for 2,500,000 to 5,000,000thb as is on her Civic policy

6430thb off the original premium for two named drivers only

30% NCB of 6840thb

10% for being on a group policy ... 2904thb ...somehow managed to continue what Ford arranged initially

5% for having a car cam ..914thb

2000thb off for paying the first 2000thb of any claim

And they eventually included the Gov Insurance.

They wanted pics of the car cam and the make, pics to show car cam and number plate ... fortunately could do as the rear opens.

Edited by JAS21