GPX CR 5

I have no expertise of motorbikes.

All I can tell is that there are many websites in Thai language about this model.

Is this model name even specific for Thailand?

I can't find any NON Thai sources?

Countless videos in Thai language.

Among them the unavoidable "how fast can I go on a public road with this"?

120 km/h.

I see a lot of GPX bikes about, mostly GPX Legend (150 & 200cc) and Demon (125cc). Never tried one, though.

The Demon is extremely popular with youngsters and I guess I see them in similar numbers to the Kawasaki KLX and Honda MSX, all of which look alike, in my locality. The kids often try to dress their Demon up to look like a mini Ducati Monster. Don't see as many Legends but they're not a rarity.

Have you seen GPX's website? 

http://www.gpxthailand.com/

1 hour ago, waqasakhter said:

i think i might look at some other brand it seems like this GPX brand is not really popular in Thailand 

I would not draw this conclusion.

Might be popular in Thailand but not in the expat community which is the most active group in this forum?

Gpx seems to be the poor man's bike. They are also sold in Big C.... enough said.

Pay a bit more and get something reliable or at least something that has readily available spare parts. Resale value is also something to think about.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are the main bikes here with good reliability.

Really? they sell those things in Big C i haven't seen any motorbikes for sale at the Big C supermarkets in my area and yea i'm thinking about getting something like Honda CBR 150 or may be new Suzuki Gixxer 150.

Edited by waqasakhter

Really? they sell those things in Big C i haven't seen any motorbikes for sale at the Big C supermarkets in my area and yea i'm thinking about getting something like Honda CBR 150 or may be new Suzuki Gixxer 150.

Seen them many times and think your making a sensible decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Gpx seems to be the poor man's bike. They are also sold in Big C.... enough said.

Pay a bit more and get something reliable or at least something that has readily available spare parts. Resale value is also something to think about.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are the main bikes here with good reliability.

If motorcycles sold at BigC are 'poor man's bikes', or related to the quality, a lot of people on this forum are poor people.... BigC is the biggest "regular" motorcycle dealer in Thailand, and also sells Honda, Yamaha amd a lot more brand names...

Who is GPX, they are an Chinese manufacturer that mostly concentrate on off-road / enduro motorcycles. Probably the best known product is the Pitster Pro bikes that are probably the best known low-cost off-road motorcycles in the world.

In Thailand and some other Southeast Asian countries GPX has started to shift it focus from off-road to more on-road motorcycles.

In the 125 to 150cc weekend off-road riding market GPX / Pitster Pro are in countries like the USA and Australia one of the leading brand names.

For the GPX CR5, the current model has had some updates since 2015 – the last time I tested one – it’s now 200cc and has fuel injection, a hologen headlamp and a rear LED light. It uses the same tires as Honda, which are fine for daily commuting to work, but if you want to push the envelop you maybe have to consider other tires…

The GPX CR5 is a good motorcycle for busy city traffic, with a weight of less than 140 kilograms, it is easy to flip it around and maneuver in tight traffic...

Put it this way....if I had the choice I'd pick a well known brand over just about anything from China.

Sure they may look ok but they just aren't the same in quality and specs. For example a 150cc GPX bike will not have the same horsepower as say a Honda or Yamaha.  

Completely different build standards.  What you may save in initial costs will soon be swallowed up with maintenence as they are prone to failure.  Sure the Chinese are slowly getting better but they still have a long way to go before they can match Japanese bikes.

Spare parts are an issue, so when it does break down you will be in for a lot of grief.  A Brit friend left a bike here when he returned to the UK. It was a platinum PX175. I searched all around Chiang Mai trying to find spare parts for it.  Couldn't even find the body plastics.... hopeless.

Each to their own, whatever floats your boat...etc etc

Just be safe with whatever you ride.

46 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Put it this way....if I had the choice I'd pick a well known brand over just about anything from China.

Sure they may look ok but they just aren't the same in quality and specs. For example a 150cc GPX bike will not have the same horsepower as say a Honda or Yamaha.  

Completely different build standards.  What you may save in initial costs will soon be swallowed up with maintenence as they are prone to failure.  Sure the Chinese are slowly getting better but they still have a long way to go before they can match Japanese bikes.

Spare parts are an issue, so when it does break down you will be in for a lot of grief.  A Brit friend left a bike here when he returned to the UK. It was a platinum PX175. I searched all around Chiang Mai trying to find spare parts for it.  Couldn't even find the body plastics.... hopeless.

Each to their own, whatever floats your boat...etc etc

Just be safe with whatever you ride.

Small correction, Platinum Motorcycles is a Thai brand name, not a international brand like GPX, Lifan, Zongshen or Keeway. And yes, parts for Platinum Motorcycles are a pain in the ass as they often switch part supplier themselves...

• 7 months later...