Thai wife shopping for new pickup

Gary A

I have crossed one major hurdle. I have convinced my wife that she doesn't need a new Pajero. Too expensive also. There are just the two of us. She has also decided that she does indeed feel safer in a pickup, the main reason is sitting higher than in a car. So far she has ruled out Ford, Mazda and Chevrolet. She spent an hour at Toyota negotiating and once again, they are not keen on discounts. They try to sweeten the deal giving away a lot of free junk. We don't need a new TV or all that plastic trim junk. She has also decided that the Revo interior is too ugly. It also is more expensive than her 800,000 budget. (879,000 baht). 

It appears that Isuzu may also out because I think they don't offer an automatic transmission in a two door extended cab. The two main wants are an automatic transmission, a year of insurance and a beautiful interior. She  also wants genuine leather seats but so far, none offer them in the two door.  At this time Mitsubishi is high on her list. Being Thai, she is somewhat of a Toyota lemming but she hates the Revo interior.

I am very happy with my 2015 Isuzu V-Cross. She doesn't like the manual transmission and she says the truck just feels too big and is difficult to drive. (?) I have promised her that I will let her choose whatever pickup she wants as long as it is a diesel pickup. I don't worry much about resale because we tend to keep our vehicles a long time. Her Ford Focus is a 2007 and no dealer wants to accept it as a trade in. My old Nissan Frontier was a 2004 before I bought the Isuzu.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not about the price I would prefer a Pajero over a pickup any time.

No "truck" with leaf springs but proper suspensions.

The "safety" of the pickup is more a psychological thing than a reality.

Look at the accident pictures/videos, how they collapse, wrap around trees etc.

Look at the data: 1500 kg empty weight for a big vehicle with such heavy motor and wheels.

Where is the weight invested in safety?

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Look at the data: 1500 kg empty weight for a big vehicle with such heavy motor and wheels.

I agree that it is a physiological safety thing. No Pajero because 1.4 million baht for a third vehicle is too much money to spend. I should mention that she also farms and she would still be using my Isuzu for hauling fertilizer and other things that she would not want to haul in a Pajero.

Cause iv sod all to do, traders next to Wifes Business  ask me to fetch things, my fav is a new Toyo called Revolution, cant say i dislike any really, rather like the Nissan, it feels more Heavy Duty,but not the Hosewifes Choise. must say the Rangers fine, to drive,but always grab my Mobile,.... Fords reputations has stuck now over here. SAFE ?, gime a Car anytime

Do you tend to keep the Isuzu with manual?

I can well understand that she favors an automatic.

Genuine leather in (an extended cab) pickup?

I have never seen that and read strong advice against leather seats under the conditions here. Maybe you can talk her off.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Do you tend to keep the Isuzu with manual?

I can well understand that she favors an automatic.

Genuine leather in (an extended cab) pickup?

I have never seen that and read strong advice against leather seats under the conditions here. Maybe you can talk her off.

She's willing to forego the leather seats. I actually prefer fabric myself. The Ford Focus has leather seats and they burn your butt after being in the sun for very long. It definately need to be an automatic. The car has spoiled her. She actually liked the old manual Nissan Frontier. That Nissan was probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

The Isuzu V-Cross is my truck and whatever she buys will be hers. I really like my V-Cross.

She already has a Honda Wave and I have a Yamaha Nouvo.

Edited by Gary A

A Pajero is no safer than a pickup as it's basically Triton with rear coil springs and a longer cab.

I do agree with Gary's missus that the Mitus seem the best low or mid-range trucks at the moment.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

A Pajero is no safer than a pickup as it's basically Triton with rear coil springs and a longer cab.

I must have mixed that up with another model. If only I could remember.

So yes forget it.

The triton is also the only pickup that can be run in 4wd on sealed roads (good for rainy days). It's smaller and lighter than other pickups so quick enough. It's just got a 5 speed auto (competition have 6 speeders now) and not the most handsome truck on the market. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

The triton is also the only pickup that can be run in 4wd on sealed roads (good for rainy days). It's smaller and lighter than other pickups so quick enough. It's just got a 5 speed auto (competition have 6 speeders now) and not the most handsome truck on the market. 

My ol' Vigo can run in 4WD on wet roads, handbook says so and l have for near 10 years...Perhaps the latest Toyota offerings in LOS can't, don't know...:stoner:

Gary ... a budget of only 800,000thb is somewhat limiting.

If you can't afford more at present think about saving up for a few months and then the choice will widen considerably ...

I have had a Triton diesel DC Auto 2wd now for nearly 5,5 years (65 000 km) only replaced the battery and tyres. Services cheap and get average 11 km/l with my diesel. If you take the running cost of the diesel Triton vs our Mazda 2 which gave us on average 13,5 km/l the Tritons running cost was just about the same over 50 000 km (excluding depreciation).

23 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I have had a Triton diesel DC Auto 2wd now for nearly 5,5 years (65 000 km) only replaced the battery and tyres. Services cheap and get average 11 km/l with my diesel. If you take the running cost of the diesel Triton vs our Mazda 2 which gave us on average 13,5 km/l the Tritons running cost was just about the same over 50 000 km (excluding depreciation).

:cheesy:.....how you drive your mazda2....allways pedal to the metal...? I drive 18km/l with my 2016 mazda 2.......and not slowly slowly.

"It appears that Isuzu may also out because I think they don't offer an automatic transmission in a two door extended cab. "
Buy a manual one and convert to automatic. will cost you around 70K baht

Here's just my view. The Triton is a good pick up, good value for money. A friend of mine is an architect, does a lot of km per year and loves it. I have driven with him as a passenger and it's a nice vehicle, albeit he has the manual gearbox.

However just an aside. I wouldn't leave the decision about cars/pick ups to the wife. That's something I would decide myself. If it's mainly for the farm, I probably would go for an Isuzu, maybe a second hand one as it will suffer anyway from carrying the loads etc etc

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I'll introduce you to my missus...

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Yeah mine did too but I used it as leverage to get myself a second motorbike later on.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:31 AM, Ace of Pop said:

Never known a Thai Lady want a Truck for personal use unless she's a Tradeie.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

She is a farmer. She would not want to haul manure in a car.