American Airlines' employee suspended after row with passengers

rooster59

American Airlines' employee suspended after row with passengers

By Timothy Mclaughlin

640x640 (8).jpg

An American Airlines Boeing 757 aircraft takes off at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Roissy, France, August 9, 2016. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen/Files

REUTERS - American Airlines has suspended an employee after a video showed an altercation on one of its planes involving crew, several passengers and a crying woman carrying a young child.

An American Airlines employee violently took a stroller from the woman, hitting her with it and just missing her child, Facebook user Surain Adyanthaya said in a post accompanying the video he put on the site on Friday.

Less than two weeks ago, a 69-year-old doctor, David Dao, was hospitalised after Chicago aviation police dragged him from a United Airlines plane sparking international outrage and a public relations nightmare for the carrier.

American Airlines was investigating Friday's incident, which happened on Flight 591 from San Francisco to Dallas before the plane took off, Leslie Scott, an airline spokeswoman said.

The incident started over a dispute as to whether the woman could bring her stroller on the flight, Scott said.

Adyanthaya did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In his video, the woman with the child can be heard asking flight attendants for the stroller. A male passenger then walks towards the front of the plane and demands from the airline crew the name of the employee who took the stroller before he returns to his seat.

Moments later, another American employee, who Scott said was a flight attendant, enters the plane and the male passenger confronts him.

"You do that to me and I'll knock you flat," the passenger can be heard saying to the flight attendant.

The two then confront each other in the aisle of the plane and the employee can be heard challenging the passenger to hit him. The passenger eventually returns to his seat and the flight attendant leaves the plane.

"We are deeply sorry for the pain we have caused this passenger and her family and to any other customers affected by the incident," the airline said in a statement late on Friday.

The woman and her family were being upgraded to first class for the remainder of their international trip, it said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-22

United must be breathing a sigh of relief that this bad news is about a competitor.

I don't know what is wrong with the airlines these days. They all seem to be outdoing each other to see who can treat their passengers the worst.

23 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

United must be breathing a sigh of relief that this bad news is about a competitor.

I don't know what is wrong with the airlines these days. They all seem to be outdoing each other to see who can treat their passengers the worst.

The American carriers do seem to be the worst in terms of Cabin Crew service. I just do not even consider flying with them anymore. Too rude, too aggressive.

Here is a list of the worlds top 100 airlines last year as voted by global travellers. Delta is top of the US airlines at position 35, United at 68 and American Airlines at 77. Quite shocking really.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards/world_airline_rating.html

Edited by Andaman Al

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, and a Delta too...

A Delta Airlines Boeing 767-300, registration N394DL performing flight DL-221 from Manchester,EN (UK) to New York JFK,NY (USA), was enroute over the Atlantic Ocean when a passenger went to a lavatory and found a loaded gun. The passenger handed the gun to cabin crew, who in turn returned the weapon to the owner, a female US Air Marshal, who had forgotten the weapon in the lavatory. The aircraft continued to New York for a safe landing without further incident.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a7f1270&opt=0

Since when has it been permissible to haul a stroller on board an aircraft???

Why is this awful woman waxing hysterical cos of a stroller?    AND  she is upgraded to first class!!!!

How stupid of American Airlines.

This kind of puerile incident only encourages other whiners and moaners and hysterics to foment a problem, however minor, trying the patience of the flight attendants whose job these days is, quite frankly, the sh!ts.

This general sense of "entitlement" is spreading like a hideous cancer throughout society.  

3 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

The American carriers do seem to be the worst in terms of Cabin Crew service. I just do not even consider flying with them anymore. Too rude, too aggressive.

Here is a list of the worlds top 100 airlines last year as voted by global travellers. Delta is top of the US airlines at position 35, United at 68 and American Airlines at 77. Quite shocking really.

Garuda Indonesia is at #11???????????????

Miracles do happen, it seems...

9 hours ago, HenryPattaya said:

I just flew ANA Bangkok New York return how they get rated number 5 is beyond me 

we are waiting for the reasons why you said "how they get rated number 5 is beyond me".  Otherwise what you just said is quite meaningless not a clue, Henry of  Pattaya.

please, we are waiting

You have to ask how she got the stroller past the gate attendant? If there was a problem, it should have been dealt with at the gate and not on the plane.

American domestic airlines.......they have to be the worst in the world. It's employees first and customers last. They really make you understand the term "Cattle Class" because that's how they treat you.

I used to drive everywhere, even if it meant a three day journey rather than be subjected to rudeness and insults by the airline staff.

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

You have to ask how she got the stroller past the gate attendant? If there was a problem, it should have been dealt with at the gate and not on the plane.

American domestic airlines.......they have to be the worst in the world. It's employees first and customers last. They really make you understand the term "Cattle Class" because that's how they treat you.

I used to drive everywhere, even if it meant a three day journey rather than be subjected to rudeness and insults by the airline staff.

I've only flown with American carriers from UK to US and back. All business class trips. Worst service and much lower than other international airlines. Cabin crew were mostly curt, lazy, inefficient and just didn't want to serve their customers. I take the point from the earlier poster - union power and some long serving seemingly bitter employees who really don't give a shit about the customer or their company.

Flown all over the world based in Dallas, Texas. American Airlines is the worst airline in the world and I am executive platinum on AA and want to support them. Best to get Bose headphones and never speak to the American flight attendants. 

Arabian airlines are the best in the world. Cathay and Singapore pretty good also. British Airways poor like American.

Japanese and Chinese airline crews are great but Chinese passengers are not.

Airlines are a people business and the union-management fights have ruined all the American based Airlines except Southwest Airlines.

If you hate your job and you are in the service industry do us all a favor and quit and let someone have the job that wants to serve the customers. 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Why is this awful woman waxing hysterical cos of a stroller?    AND  she is upgraded to first class!!!!

This kind of puerile incident only encourages other whiners and moaners and hysterics to foment a problem, however minor, trying the patience of the flight attendants whose job these days is, quite frankly, the sh!ts.

This general sense of "entitlement" is spreading like a hideous cancer throughout society.  

Strollers are usually allowed through the gate and then taken when boarding the plane and stored. It's not really the woman's fault if correct procedures weren't followed. And you are completely lacking in empathy if you expect a mother travelling with very young twins to be aware of every step if the professional staff aren't doing their jobs correctly. 

In the video the airline employee barges right through and almost knocks the child again as he confronts the passenger sticking up for the woman.  Completely indefensible on his part whatever the situation. 

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Garuda Indonesia is at #11???????????????

Miracles do happen, it seems...

Garuda's turnaround happened a while back - in the last decade at least. Foreign management brought in, new aircraft, training regime overhauled - they have been at the top of their game for quite some time

4 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Strollers are usually allowed through the gate and then taken when boarding the plane and stored. It's not really the woman's fault if correct procedures weren't followed. And you are completely lacking in empathy if you expect a mother travelling with very young twins to be aware of every step if the professional staff aren't doing their jobs correctly. 

In the video the airline employee barges right through and almost knocks the child again as he confronts the passenger sticking up for the woman.  Completely indefensible on his part whatever the situation. 

You're quite right....I have no sympathy (or empathy) for this whining woman who has no dignity whatsoever.  I can't imagine a woman of 40 or 50 years ago bawling like this when some little thing in her life goes wrong.  Imagine if she  had to deal with bombs dropping in WW2 London or 1970s Hanoi.

Let me know (no, don't ) why we should cut this woman a special deal...

My thoughts are with the airline staff.    I don't know what people expect from the airline.   Many of these flights are 1 + hours.   They are packed with people, with seldom a spare seat.  They come by with refreshments.   It's nothing much more than a bus flying in the sky.   

Some lady decides to bring a stroller on board?   Can you imagine the damage that would cause if it were bouncing around in a rough landing?   Can you imagine the amount of space it would take in the overhead bins, if it even fit?

Parents with infants, those in wheel chairs and others who need assistance in boarding (along with first and business class passengers) are allowed to pre-board the plane.   The stroller is taken away at the plane door, usually, and then stored in the baggage compartment.   

Do people like her have no idea what it costs to delay a flight?   Do they have to inconvenience all the other passengers?   Talk about a silly sense of entitlement.   

10 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I don't want to generalize, partly because the US airlines and laws the airlines must deal with are so different with what other countries have.  Age and pretty looks discrimination?  ha!  Not in thailand.  They can hire who they want. Having said that, I do love when I fly to Asia on an Asian airline. I love EVA.  I always had a fine time on China Air.  Twice of my 14 trips I made the trip on American carriers. Pure crrap.  Thankfully, on I think it was American, the flight connected in Japan, and at that point we transferred to a JAL plane and crew.  Night and day difference.  I even watched the cabin crew go in and periodically clean the bathrooms.  And this was a coach flight.  Now when I fly the elite class on EVA, it is pure joy.  I look forward to the flight and the pretty and pleasant attendants.

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And the passengers are out to provoke the worst out of them!

11 hours ago, blazes said:

I'm with you. They were gate-checking her stroller, which would have been available on the walkway when disembarking. Are the crew supposed to wave their magic wand and manufacture space for that stroller, and her oversized backpack, and all the other crap brought onboard by passengers who can't fathom the rules?

The male passenger who intruded should have been arrested for threatening crew. Probably wasn't arrested because the crew were aware of the recent United incident.  I also agree with the person who said the gate staff need to up their game. Why are they allowing boarding when the plane is oversold? Why was the mother not told clearly that the stroller would have to be gate-checked?

15 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

That Gate Agent must be fired ASAP.

The Captain or FO standing there was a tool as well.

I thought the employee who struck the woman with the stroller, and who challenged another passenger to a fight, was a gate agent - I'm not an AA flyer. Evidently he is (was?) a Flight Attendant. While he has been suspended, and the union is defending him, he clearly must be fired. ASAP.

Passengers are allowed to bring various stuff down the jetway like strollers, where it is then left (outside the aircraft) where it is then brought down to the hold (and returned at the destination). People are allowed to utilize this stuff even to get onto the aircraft and FAs usually help, and then bring it back outside for them. It's kind of part of their service. This FA evidently lost it, got upset, got violent.

To me it seems like employees are the ones who are showing the signs of strain. Whether the mother was "right" or "wrong" honestly doesn't matter, IMO. It's how the matter is/was handled by the airline. Assaulting the mother with the stroller is probably not the best way to handle the matter?

Seems like a lot of opinions on here based on NO story.  Like the flight attendant said, we don't even know the story and see nothing on the video but a hysterical woman crying over something.  Would be nice if when a story is posted on TV there would be enough information to make a judgement rather than some article from Reuters that tells nothing. Must be a slow new day.

12 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Seems like a lot of opinions on here based on NO story.  Like the flight attendant said, we don't even know the story and see nothing on the video but a hysterical woman crying over something.  Would be nice if when a story is posted on TV there would be enough information to make a judgement rather than some article from Reuters that tells nothing. Must be a slow new day.

Agreed. Hysterical woman ranting on about a stroller.  What was she going to do? Push the baby up and down the aisle??

Then we have a Steven Seagal type ["I really wanted to be a warrior"], who instead of minding his own business, decides to be a knight in shining amour [probably to boost his own ego] and interfere in something even after being told "you don't know the full story." He should have been re-allocated.

Sorry, no empathy this morning.

How many more American airlines are there - just wondering how long it takes for these carriers to get the message. 
Why is staff so mean and repulsive? They must be completely stressed out when the report on duty first thing - how sad is that! 

Strollers are expensive.

She may well have been under the impression she wasn't getting it back.

She may have been in shock after being assaulted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk