"Uber" driver hunted down after Pattaya taxi drivers cry foul to police

webfact

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

"and take them to Moo Ban Chang for 240 baht."

I thought this was illuminating....the local taxi mafia would charge this from beach road to pattaya north bus station. 

Where is Moo Ban Chang? I am presuming it is not actually in Ban Chang as that would be a very cheap price.

2 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

So, capitalism was at full swing and a competitor won the hearts of the consumers only to be shot down by incompetent taxi drivers who don't understand the concept of business competition.

You'd be pissed off, too if you were paying as much as they do for protection from the popo, and you weren't getting protected.  The popo?  They're probably just as pissed off because the Uber guy isn't paying in.

Amazing how quickly they jump to protect those who donate to their favorite local charity!
If Uber drivers also donated to the charity of choice, I'm sure they could operate just fine. Run an honest business in an industry controlled by the likes of taxi thugs? I wish them luck!
For everyone I know, who doesn't have a vehicle of their own, Uber is absolutely the number one choice of everyone that I know here in Chiangmai and GrabTaxi next if an Uber driver isn't available.

Idiots !   The taxi drivers are the scammers here, no meter , just rip off prices. 

The good news is that UBER is paying the fines, its a part of the deal they have so the driver is back on the streets tomorrow.  You can't stop modern technology , not even in Thailand.  Ride sharing is not illegal in most countries. 

12 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

" Lovely " Company This " Eh ??

4 hours ago, Redline said:

Unfortunately, it's called capitalism

If you actually read the article it was just an automated price increase, totally out of the company's control on short notice. Non-issue.

Meanwhile taxis are refusing meter (also illegal), raping passengers, cutting off tourists' heads with samurai sword etc.

15 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Local cab drivers of pattaya,  Rip off boys 100%,  :bah:

So any competition is good as far as im concerned. :thumbsup:

They shouldnt even be here in the first place. What, just in last 5 years has the demand increased that much ?  They park all over the place on Beach and 2nd rd , pollute the sois with their camps. Then lie around outdoor restaurant patios smoking cigarettes all day. Not a coincidence you see very few customers in these places. I dont know who I dislike more these jerks or the moto taxis.

Negative Dept.

Edited by morrobay

4 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

Would Uber exist at all if the taxi drivers were doing their job and providing proper service....

It would because with Uber they have an incentive to give good service because you can give instant feedback on the app, and even complain and ask for a refund. 

Funny how the DOLT managed to get its act together long enough to send out a hit squad of mystery passengers to net so many dissident Uber drivers in Chiang Mai, yet seems singularly unenthusiastic about doing the same with the taxi - or in Chiang Mai, songtaew - drivers. Are they afraid of what they'll find - or of what they won't find?

Regardless, it's time they put the customer in first place, and did their job. 

It does not take the taxi mafia long to bleat to the police when the shoe is on the other foot.

They are their own worst enemies. If they had done a good honest job in the first place instead of trying to rip everybody off  & only taking the "juicy" fares leaving you hailing up to 10  taxis to get the meter on I might have some sympathy for them

Just now, natway09 said:

It does not take the taxi mafia long to bleat to the police when the shoe is on the other foot.

They are their own worst enemies. If they had done a good honest job in the first place instead of trying to rip everybody off  & only taking the "juicy" fares leaving you hailing up to 10  taxis to get the meter on I might have some sympathy for them

You EVER got the meter on on one of those Pattaya fake "taxi meter" cars? For real? A driver told me their "organization" strictly forbids that. 

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

They shouldnt even be here in the first place. What, just in last 5 years has the demand increased that much ?  They park all over the place on Beach and 2nd rd , pollute the sois with their camps. Then lie around outdoor restaurant patios smoking cigarettes all day. Not a coincidence you see very few customers in these places. I dont know who I dislike more these jerks or the moto taxis.

Negative Dept.

You forgot,  Pissing in the street,  a Bush   near a Rubbish  bin.

and im,    talking about the ladies. :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

12 hours ago, just.a.thought said:

Would Uber exist at all if the taxi drivers were doing their job and providing proper service....

Yes because local governments were raking in cash for the licenses as well

Early this month, a medallion — basically the right to operate a yellow cab in New York — was listed for $250,000 on nycitycab.com.

(We first spotted this detail on DonutShorts' twitter feed. It was originally tweeted by @tavit87.)

That's a stark contrast from 2014, when the value of a medallion was listed around $1.3 million.

Technology is bringing the costs down in many areas.  Time to learn programming I guess

Edited by Redline

THB 240 from Soi 7 to the Elephant village seems to be an appropriate price. I live around the Elephant Village and the usual fare by the "Pattaya Taxi Association" is NEVER below THB 500. 

Somchai went apeshit once he realized that some people drive passengers for half the money and the police was, of course, in the game and hence could not attend to the bashing going on between two certified, authorized and licenses bus drivers in Bangkok - namely route 151 and 27. 

It is high time to clean this place called Thailand up - and the bottle neck is usually on top of the bottle ;-)