Accident video: Who's in the wrong?

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm voting for a 80/20 split where 80% of the blame goes to the pedestrian. She failed to look and made no effort to reduce her risk by speeding up; she sauntered nonchalantly across. However the biker should have been prepared for anything hidden by the car he was passing. I wonder if he hit the horn? One fast step and she would have cleared him...

Lane splitting is legal here, so he was not in the wrong, but when you block your view of the road in any way, you need to prepare for what you could not see coming into your path. He was not speeding, seemed to hit the brakes quickly (although seeing the vid at normal speed is needed to judge that properly).

The guy with the helmet cam is to blame.  No video, no argument on social media.

She was jaywalking, not paying attention to oncoming traffic and not in any hurry to get out of the lane.  He had the last clear opportunity to prevent the collision by steering around her.

So I still blame the guy with the helmet cam.  Weren't they declared illegal a while back?

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, ezflip said:

If people want to play the blame game. How about this? Option #3 - Blame the city for not providing enough areas where pedestrians can cross in safety.

They wouldn't use them. I'm always seeing locals crossing busy dual carriageway underneath a pedestrian bridge.

Too lazy to walk up steps I assume, or maybe face loss.

Here is my answer as having a association with the Department of Transportation, licensed to operate all commercial vehicles and certified to teach and test commercial drivers, also obtain my motorbike training from the California Hwy Patrol. 

A year ago there was another video very similar with a guy crossing in a diagonal manner and the motorbike hit the pedestrian even while going the wrong way on the wrong lane. Yet people responded very similar here?

First, before someone say this is Thailand and that is right,  I'll give you the Thai explanation.  As noted, there are very few and far crosswalk for pedestrians. Here pedestrian do not have the right away that explains in Pattaya, 120 million baht spent on light crosswalk they are only being used by the pigeons sitting on top. If one actually stop someone would run into you from behind.  In general, drivers wouldn't give you a inch if it meant costing them their lives and in general most drivers have learn to use their vehicle as a weapon to intimate others.

The pedestrian have learn to basically jaywalk in a diagonal manner as they move forward, leaving their back exposed to being hit, thinking or taking for granted others should take care of me.  Due to there not being crosswalk even if there were one, the proper way to cross or jaywalk is to slowly move forward STRAIGHT AHEAD, just like crosswalk are painted, to allow you to look both direction constantly.  Maybe I got a death wish but I do this all the time to see if it works and since I'm writing it must work. Here you can never take anything for granted, even when you are 90% in the right you still need to be on guard.

To conclude, both are at fault,  the motorbike driver had plenty of time to slow down or stop but instead moved closer to the sidewalk where the pedestrian was headed thinking they could pass her before she got across. Seen this move hundred of times a day running around town in Pattaya, no patients and every inch counts.  The women fault, was she crossed in a diagonal manner more concern with getting to the exact spot she intended instead of getting across safely. Safely would have been crossing straight looking both ways before she got on the sidewalk, whether it was the spot she intended to be.  Get across  first safely and walk to your spot or destination.

Based on the video, if the law was applied as it was intended,  a vehicle is a weapon whether it is a motorbike or car, steel feels no pain a human being does and that being said, the biker should have just let off the gas that itself would have slow the bike enough for the accident not to have happen.  When Thailand start to teach driver that is the case these self inflected accidents will continue.

Edited by thailand49

A few things, but first the woman is in the wrong for jaywalking. That said the biker was driving directly into the sun and he was driving slowly for the conditions. It actually appears as though he is trying to avoid her at the last moment as it looks like he is moving to the left, he can't move right because he knows there is a car on his right rear.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

It's not safe to cross a road anywhere, not even on a crossing.
She should have got a move on instead of just ambling across & kept checking both ways as she walked.
The motorcyclist must have seen her but didn't seem to do much to avoid her.

Both dumb!

3 hours ago, Guitar God said:

I'd say it's my fault. It's always my fault. A drunk truck driver high in yaba could hit my parked car in my garage behind a locked gate and it would be my fault. 

Ah, so you're THE farang who is always wrong. Suits you, Sir!

7 hours ago, ezflip said:

If people want to play the blame game. How about this? Option #3 - Blame the city for not providing enough areas where pedestrians can cross in safety.

But when walk bridges are provided they still prefer to walk across the road...to much trouble to walk the long safe way.

So many times have I seen drivers get out of their car then amble across the road amid traffic. It's almost as if they are two different people, one that will 'bomb' along the road and respect no one while the other seems to think that as a pedestrian, they own the road too. Absolutely no road etiquette at all. 

For me it's look like the car let walk the woman and the motorbike overtook the car on the left side. It's faster as the car and in really him must have seen the woman soon enough in the street. 100% the fault of the motorbike driver. Never drive faster as you can controll and see everything. And if you overhaul someone it can be something in the front what you can't see before.

Edited by snowgard

The Honda crv moved to the right to avoid the lady as she crossed the road. The motorcyclist undertook the crv so was unsighted as to the lady crossing and going too fast with no clear view.

The ladies mistake was not continuing to look left, if she had she would have seen the <deleted> motorcyclist.

Edited by edwinchester

Well, she isn't crossing at a pedestrian crossing, but then motorcyclists in particular have no idea why the black and white stripes are there. And he appears to be passing the car on, as is usual, the wrong side, leaving no room for manoeuvre. What can't be determined is his speed, either before or at point of impact.

She wasn't looking in the direction of the oncoming traffic
The bike hit at low speed and she landed on her butt 98% her fault 2% to the biker for not being able to avoid her or stop quick enough (very difficult)

I blame the motorbike first. These imbeciles fly between cars and wherever they want, making it very difficult to judge. Try turning on your signal too shift lanes and 100 of these A-Holes come flying up between the lanes. Thais cannot drive. Period!

Motorbike driver at fault. Happens all the time, trying to cross a road and the motorbike hidden behind a car passing it on the left and not seen by pedestrian. In Pattaya there are no safe crossing for a pedestrian even at a traffic light.