Items you think should be available here, but aren't.

Trujillo

6 hours ago, Surasak said:

Branston Pickle would be nice, if I could find a nice pork pie to go with it.

Both are available. Branston pickle available from Rimping and TOPS and certainly villa in BKK - TOPS also has, in the freezer section, mini melton mowbray pork pies, packs of six, courtesy of Waitrose with whom they product share.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

Yes, but western educated thais are more travelled and spend significant times abroad to immerse themselves in other culture compared to occasional tourists but even then, Insular americans aside, Even Europeans or Australians are more exposed to the cuisines of Southeast Asia than the Thais. Like there's all kinds of different high end Japanese / European restaurant in Bangkok but other Southeast Asian Cuisines aren't readily available here

I see things slightly differently. I don't know what the restaurant landscape looks like in Bangkok these days but I'd be very surprised if just about every ethnic food type is not represented, perhaps not to the saturation level you would prefer but I'm confident they exist. In Chiang Mai we have plenty of Vietnamese, Laos, Burmese, Chinese and Japanese restaurants as well as American, French, authentic Italian and others, for goodness sake, we even have British food ! As for Singaporean food, I have to admit I haven't seen a single Singaporean restaurant albeit nasi goreng for example (Indonesia) is available at several places.

2 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

I still have not been able to find a garden fork anywhere here

Two pronged forks are widely available but frankly pretty useless. It's easy to see why locals prefer to use the adze/hoe for that purpose, the ground is usually far too hard for most of the year to use a fork.

40 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

I still have not been able to find a garden fork anywhere here

unnamed.jpg

Yes.. Like finding chicken lips. Last year I hand carried a heavy duty stainless spade and a lawn edger back from UK. A fork is on this years list.

Some other stuff only available overseas - Or massively cheaper.

High quality 3 pin extension extension leads

High quality 4 socket power boards

Lawn weed killer

Stainless self drilling/tapping exterior screws

Decent dustpan and brush

Washing up brushes

Well cut T-shirts to fit a 46" chest

A torque wrench

Quality tea towels/hand towels

High thread count 100% cotton sheets

High quality kitchen and bathroom taps/faucets/showerheads - less than half price

Five zone electric induction hob - model not available in Thailand/ 40% cheaper than lower spec items available in Thailand

Countless car accesories/spares

Tile spacers ( they have them here now )

Quality socks

Shoes - size 46 ( more than one pair to choose from )

And the stuff you can't bring..

A decent choice of performance cars at a reasonable price.

Wine by the case.

1) Push broom can be found in Chiang Mai wit a plastic handle, which bent under normal pressure. I returned it for a new one, new one came with a very useful 6-inch sturdy hand useable scrub brush.

Thai people don't like push broom. Thai people like old style Thai one-hand broom, which is very effective, I own one. Store with straw up. Very efficient, 10 times more efficient than a push broom, and less work.

2) Windex is not in Thailand, Tops has a very good glass cleaner.

3) Cleaning paste for stoves, for my cooktop, I use water and green scrub pad. Water cut the abrasiveness of green pad. I dry with paper towel, then I shine up with glass cleaner.

For pots and pans, steel wool, except on Teflon and other coatings.

. For coated inside, Teflon etcetera, normal dish liquid, no-abrasive scrubbing, when see water stains, 10 minute soak in distilled vinegar. For metal outside, scrub with steel wool, don't let get dirty.

Edited by themerg

Ask Thai people, use your phrase and pocket Thai dictionary. Everyone understand hand gestures. When you hear mi mee, look on your own, you could find something that comes close to explain what you need.

Just now, themerg said:

Ask Thai people, use your phrase and pocket Thai dictionary. Everyone understand hand gestures. When you hear mi mee, look on your own, you could find something that comes close to explain what you need.

Exactly, I doubt there's very much at all that can't be had if you look and ask around.

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Nonsense, western education has nothing to to do with it, it's about exposure - my guess is that 99% of (educated) Americans wouldn't have a clue what those dishes are!

They do know what "Canadian Bacon" is however.

16 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Pdaz....a lot of the items you seek are in fact available here. 

I've thought of having a metal shop make a pitchfork. 

I've never seen a dog corkscrew tether for sale here...(again, have it made?):

dog-spike.jpg.9553cbe71d71082ea089e4be8de5aaaf.jpg

Forum history indicates that several members have had great stainless steel pitch forks made here.

Right, a lot of the things mentioned are truely available here, a high level of misinformation as is not uncommon.

If anyone is interested there's a shop in Chiang Mai, Hang Dong to be precise that stocks and sells Greenworks (US) battery powered garden tools such as leaf blowers, strimmers etc. - great quality tools.

Most retailers are only interested in making today's sale with what is in store.  They will not order in at most shops.  Prefer to say "Thailand mail me."

Same answer if they do not understand.  So many things are available here but the retailers lack the will to phone a supplier or look in a catalogue.  

Most retailers are only interested in making today's sale with what is in store.  They will not order in at most shops.  Prefer to say "Thailand mail me."
Same answer if they do not understand.  So many things are available here but the retailers lack the will to phone a supplier or look in a catalogue.  

Yeh, like those people in Walmart, Tesco, Target and the like always phone a supplier or check catalogs every time they do not have stock. Or do they?

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Suppliers 'pay' to get their products on the shelves... if a retailer phone them saying a customer want their stuff, they can negotiate the fee to get into store down. And most shop staff you talk to on the floors or even the store managers don't have the power to order things in on their own anyway

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

What I find frustrating is I will find a product I like and then when I go back to buy it again it's all sold out and stores never seem to re-order anything.  A few years ago I found a 2 seat dining set that was perfect for small condos--good quality table, very comfortable chairs that swiveled, good price.  Bought 2 sets but when I went back to buy again the store owner told they were very popular and all sold.  Well, hmm, if they are very popular and selling like hotcakes why not order some more? 

If you can't find it, improvise, keep looking, do without, OR find out what a Thai person would do. Don't be scared to talk to the locals. Use phrase book, dictionary, and hand and body gesture. Use basic Thai etiquette, no pointing with your hands or feet.

Motorcycle breakers. My little bike runs fine but it is "too old" for me to get replacement panels so it's held together with duct tape. Seems like everyone rides them into the ground then chucks them in the khlong.

Grout that doesn't discolour the first time the newly-grouted floor is washed and doesn't simply flake off a week or so
after the job's finished!

Never had those problems with any of 4 builds over 25 years.