How do Expats.......

swissie

6 hours ago, iancnx said:

Been here nearly 11 years.  Travelled far and wide throughout the country.  I see the xenophobia getting progressively worse during that period to a point now of being simply unacceptable, and the level of mindless violence akin to British and European football hooligans of the early seventies now prevalent everywhere (if you care to look outside of the expat elite bubble).  The minimum wage hike of 50% (200 baht to 300 baht) is filtering through to the rural community whose jobs have been priced out of the market and now have no work.  A substantial amount of Bangkok workers are retuning to the provinces in droves also because of no more work in the city - jobs disappeared due to the ridiculous unsustainable minimum wage hike.  This past year has seen over half of my local Village area tree's felled for more land to grow crops just so that these folk can eat.  The wood turned to new wooden shacks for more accommodation for the returnees, next to the crops, and the waste wood converted to charcoal.  The smoke pollution this past year has had a significantly adverse effect on all our family health.  99% of the rural community depend on Govt handouts in one form or another.  I don't know one family whose household debt is seeming unsustainable; poor buggahs have it secured against Land Title Deeds.  When the Elite come calling to be paid things might get tricky!  The level of poverty is starting to look like south Asia/Africa in many rural areas.  I have substantive experience of both.

My wife is a Thai Govt teacher in English of young adults; she see's the level of educational standard getting worse not better as promised by the ASEAN initiatives which, I believe, will leave Thailand bringing up the rear.

The strong Baht will prove a disaster sooner rather than later IMO.  Once reality sets in they will try their hardest to turn the super-tanker on a sixpence, but years will be needed to correct a grossly over-valued currency.  I guess it all depends on whether you believe the unemployment figures, GDP, and the balance of payments.... I don't! 

The value of the £ against the baht is killing all Brits I would suggest.

How do I see it.  A dire situation to be honest which I believe will come to a head sooner or later and the outcome politically cannot possibly be seen as rosey.  I am returning to UK at the end of this month with my family as a result and leaving behind a Baht 3m property I built myself, on my wife's land, as I have no chance of selling it.  It is my son's inheritance so no axe to grind there.  He will have a million more opportunities in life with a British education, even if UK are having to deal with there own set of problems.  My wife agrees with me..... clearly.

Good luck to all long-termers and I wish you well.

Hi Ian - If CNX means you are in the CM area, I am also in North Central Thailand, but just do not see anything like what you discuss in your first paragraph... Where I am, it seems totally full employment and people cannot find workers. I see no effect of any of the things you mentioned, near the opposite. In my village, if anything, I have been surprised at the wealth that is surfacing here as some relatives have become ill and are opting for private hospitals at no small expense and no griping either... I don't see or hear anything of government handouts... I don't see any desperate poverty, though I do see a slowdown somewhat for businesses, the mall not as crowded and such. I attribute some of that to people having bought cars on payment plans that maybe they could not fully afford or it is cutting into ability to spend... but in the past 15 years here, I have seen so many farmers buy and pay off tractors and vehicles and seem to be rather well off... at least, much more than before... any ideas? Can your area be that much different than mine? Are you in a poor area of Isaan? - - Any info appreciated. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Been here since end of 2005. – oops that's 11½ year now...:whistling:

Thailand is changing – it's same place, but different from the past; so don't "live in the past" – in general summin up it's changing to the better, IMHO; and especially compared to what my home country seem to change to, and what my friends back home says. This must mean "improve"

The part of LoS I've settled in – because something may be quite local – improve to the better in most ways; however traffic get more intense, so that shall count for negative, i.e. "worsen".

Thai inflation has been low recently, so that's positive, and money still lasts; however currency exchange rate has worsen, so that's at present negative, as retirement pension saving and government pension comes from abroad, and cannot be "just moved to" local currency – has moved little of the saving into Thai baht, so that counts positive; actually interest is not bad compared to "home" – so status quo or "little worsen"...

Political situation is as it is, and my opinion really don't count at all, and the future is unknown. However, the situation seems fairly stable at the moment, so shall also be counted in the positive points, whilst future is like it is, unknown. As I'm not that good in fortune telling. it'll be neither, nor...

Health is still Okay, and I'm able to move around – can walk the soi-dogs that stick around the house, which in my case are beach-dogs – don't forget too much (had to re-read opening post twice only while writing my answer...:thumbsup:), and still get out for an exercise-dance a few evenings a week; so that sums up to count positive also. As I still feel strong and especially young – at least after one Red Bull gives me wings – I'll count it as "improve"...:biggrin:

In general extremely happy with my choice – have no desire for returning to where I came from, and don't even miss it for a short holiday trip – and I also have my family here; and that's probably the most positive and improving part...:smile:

Glad to hear your health is still okay. Could you tell us your plan if this changes?

Edited by anotheruser

I was lucky to be raised by my grandfather who fought in world war 2 and lucky to travel the world for work. My grandfather showed me the joy of living and the gift of life. He drank, slept with women (he loved my grandmother deeply but he was horney and she was not) smoked and laughed often. He only cried when he spoke of his friends who died fighting the Japanese. His advice was every day you live you win the lottery so have fun and try not to hurt or judge others. In a blink of the eye you are gone so do what you want to do and complaining is a waste of precious time. So in essence I may or may not be Thailand tomorrow but whenever I am I hope to have fun and not hurt others and enjoy all the pleasures of the world. Thailand has a lot of pleasures that are more easily accessible than the rest of the world at a lower financial cost and that is why I am here.  I don't worry about the government or politics or visas or being called a farang  or anything Thai because if it turns bad I know how to make it to Swampy and there are many places on the planet to live.  But not a lot of places on the planet where you have the freedom to enjoy the company of young beautiful women and that is something I truly enjoy.  I hope when I die that I die in the bed of a beautiful woman with a smile on her face and mine. ?

6 hours ago, iancnx said:

Been here nearly 11 years.  Travelled far and wide throughout the country.  I see the xenophobia getting progressively worse during that period to a point now of being simply unacceptable, and the level of mindless violence akin to British and European football hooligans of the early seventies now prevalent everywhere (if you care to look outside of the expat elite bubble).  The minimum wage hike of 50% (200 baht to 300 baht) is filtering through to the rural community whose jobs have been priced out of the market and now have no work.  A substantial amount of Bangkok workers are retuning to the provinces in droves also because of no more work in the city - jobs disappeared due to the ridiculous unsustainable minimum wage hike.  This past year has seen over half of my local Village area tree's felled for more land to grow crops just so that these folk can eat.  The wood turned to new wooden shacks for more accommodation for the returnees, next to the crops, and the waste wood converted to charcoal.  The smoke pollution this past year has had a significantly adverse effect on all our family health.  99% of the rural community depend on Govt handouts in one form or another.  I don't know one family whose household debt is seeming unsustainable; poor buggahs have it secured against Land Title Deeds.  When the Elite come calling to be paid things might get tricky!  The level of poverty is starting to look like south Asia/Africa in many rural areas.  I have substantive experience of both.

My wife is a Thai Govt teacher in English of young adults; she see's the level of educational standard getting worse not better as promised by the ASEAN initiatives which, I believe, will leave Thailand bringing up the rear.

The strong Baht will prove a disaster sooner rather than later IMO.  Once reality sets in they will try their hardest to turn the super-tanker on a sixpence, but years will be needed to correct a grossly over-valued currency.  I guess it all depends on whether you believe the unemployment figures, GDP, and the balance of payments.... I don't! 

How do I see it.  A dire situation to be honest which I believe will come to a head sooner or later and the outcome politically cannot possibly be seen as rosey.  I am returning to UK at the end of this month with my family as a result and leaving behind a Baht 3m property I built myself, on my wife's land, as I have no chance of selling it.  It is my son's inheritance so no axe to grind there.  He will have a million more opportunities in life with a British education, even if UK are having to deal with there own set of problems.  My wife agrees with me..... clearly.

Good luck to all long-termers and I wish you well.

I have found a surprising amount in your post to be the case and I live in Isaarn. Your post nearly sums up our situation. and what is happening here.

When I built our houses way back when, there was nothing but empty fields adjacent and opposite our house. We live on the fringe of the village in a reasonable area. We have the banks, 7-11s, A Big C etc so not right in the sticks anymore. However, this last two years, adjacent and opposite us, is exactly as you have described above has occurred!

Men are returning from Bangkok and planting farms and living in shacks on the land. It is not even THEIR LAND , it belongs to the government but they are occupying it like free tenancies and bringing the cattle with them. They are all returnees from the cities. All the farms they are building are ramshackle isaarn style affairs. It is a lot more untidy with cattle dung all over the roads now and more tak taks up and down.

I don't mind as all our land and houses are either walled or fenced in and I have little contact with the locals apart from a smile and hello when I am off to exercise. I have noticed a big increase and a lot more calling at our gate with various deals and opportunities to put forward to my other half in attempts to borrow money. I feel that pressure is also part of the reason she wants to be away from Thailand.

We are looking to relocate after 20 plus years in Thailand (in business and semi retirement) back to the UK for the next 10-15 years.

I think the UK is as it always has been, if you are in a good area, it's fine, if you can cope with the lousy weather. We are looking at York, which is fairly affluent, and my other half is pushing me strongly now to go.

We are looking at a home and business near the city which is good for us. I am happy as well as I have an elderly mother I need to see more of who is  in declining health and two children who are grown up but need a bit of help and direction.

I am not going to start Thai bashing although I can think of quite a few issues here but what is the point, the government will not address them, they never do. Somebody earlier mentioned ASEAN. Well, isn't that just a meeting of the biggest collection of despots, tyrants, juntas, Mafia leaders, in the region??? Who do we have? Thailand's junta! Hun Sen, Duterte in the Philippines and the rest of them. What a bonnie bunch!

ASEAN will achieve nothing as an organization as they are toothless in power and shallow in commitment. All countries in SE Asia are too afraid of giving any ground to their neighbours or terrified of losing out on anything.

.We have substantial houses and land here but we will lock the main house and family live in the other two so it is not a problem. We are the same as other posters, we could never sell and get the money back.

We will holiday back here twice a year and maybe review the situation in 10 years or so. Well, that is the plan.......!!!! I hope we can.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I have found a surprising amount in your post to be the case and I live in Isaarn. Your post nearly sums up our situation. and what is happening here.

When I built our houses way back when, there was nothing but empty fields adjacent and opposite our house. We live on the fringe of the village in a reasonable area. We have the banks, 7-11s, A Big C etc so not right in the sticks anymore. However, this last two years, adjacent and opposite us, is exactly as you have described above has occurred!

Men are returning from Bangkok and planting farms and living in shacks on the land. It is not even THEIR LAND , it belongs to the government but they are occupying it like free tenancies and bringing the cattle with them. They are all returnees from the cities. All the farms they are building are ramshackle isaarn style affairs. It is a lot more untidy with cattle dung all over the roads now and more tak taks up and down.

I don't mind as all our land and houses are either walled or fenced in and I have little contact with the locals apart from a smile and hello when I am off to exercise. I have noticed a big increase and a lot more calling at our gate with various deals and opportunities to put forward to my other half in attempts to borrow money. I feel that pressure is also part of the reason she wants to be away from Thailand.

We are looking to relocate after 20 plus years in Thailand (in business and semi retirement) back to the UK for the next 10-15 years.

I think the UK is as it always has been, if you are in a good area, it's fine, if you can cope with the lousy weather. We are looking at York, which is fairly affluent, and my other half is pushing me strongly now to go.

We are looking at a home and business near the city which is good for us. I am happy as well as I have an elderly mother I need to see more of who is  in declining health and two children who are grown up but need a bit of help and direction.

I am not going to start Thai bashing although I can think of quite a few issues here but what is the point, the government will not address them, they never do. Somebody earlier mentioned ASEAN. Well, isn't that just a meeting of the biggest collection of despots, tyrants, juntas, Mafia leaders, in the region??? Who do we have? Thailand's junta! Hun Sen, Duterte in the Philippines and the rest of them. What a bonnie bunch!

ASEAN will achieve nothing as an organization as they are toothless in power and shallow in commitment. All countries in SE Asia are too afraid of giving any ground to their neighbours or terrified of losing out on anything.

.We have substantial houses and land here but we will lock the main house and family live in the other two so it is not a problem. We are the same as other posters, we could never sell and get the money back.

We will holiday back here twice a year and maybe review the situation in 10 years or so. Well, that is the plan.......!!!! I hope we can.

A lot of people don't have those options and aren't as smart as you. Where will they be in 20 years?

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Glad to hear your health is still okay. Could you tell us your plan if this changes?

I'll presumable try with one more Red Bull, and if that don't work, I'll change to Shark...:biggrin:

For Backup, my lovely girlfriend has promised to take care of me when I get old :wai: – however, she begin to talk about, that she might get old before me...:shock1:

So, so far I need to plan on my genes shall provide me good health :thumbsup: – and longevity, so I can take care of my lovely girlfriend...:smile: 

16 hours ago, iancnx said:

Looking at today's exchange rates it seems the £ may be emerging from the ICU and returning to the general ward - though it may suffer a relapse at any time. However, even at 44.5 THB it is a long way from the relative comfort of even a year ago, when it stood at 50+. Here's hoping for a swift return to health.

14 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

It's getting expensive here in BKK , some food and drink prices are more expensive that the US, as for the future I can see a lot of empty condos up for sale. 

Your biggest monthly expense is usually housing.  Unless you're living in a rundown trailer park in the US your housing cost is likely much cheaper here whether you rent or own.  And, if you think BKK is getting expensive, what might it be like in America?  Not just for housing but for routine things like doctor and dentist visits, etc.  Pardon the pun but the price of some meals going up is pretty small potatoes--especially when you can eat pretty well for around 100 to 200 Baht in a lot of places.  As for the empty condos, one billion Chinese a short plane ride away.  My latest condo sale, this month, was to a young Chinese family.

I have almost 50 years experience regarding Thailand and things Thai.  It certainly has changed since my first visit and some for the better and some for the worse. I still enjoy life in Thailand and will never leave although if I was single and looking for a retirement place- I would consider other options along with Thailand . Here are my thoughts on life in LOS and the future.

- Immigration issues are much better now than when I first came. At one time it was very hard to stay in Thailand more than 15 days but the different Visa options now are many and apply to a cross section of people.  In the future we will see less Westerners staying long term because they will be unable to meet the financial requirements and as more Thais become educated- less foreigners will be needed as management. In addition, other countries are providing more opportunities to stay long term with less hassle.

-Thai people are much the same as far as being friendly but the life of the poor is much unchanged. People in rural areas away from the tourist trade are much friendlier and willing to help. However, Thais in general are exhausted from work; travelling to work or home and trying to improve their lives. The education system has not improved and is bogged down by the civil service system that refuses to adapt.

-Economic development has helped mostly the rich and has pulled some into the middle class but nowhere near enough. The minimum wage is too low to actually improve people's lives as the cost of living has gone up considerably and will continue to go up. Jobs for the uneducated have dried up because of the  minimum wage increase and the exploitation of the rich. These workers have been replaced by imported labor who will work well below the minimum wage so the Thais return to their village and try and live off the land and find some support from family.  A succession of Thai Governments have become oblivious to this and don't really care but there is a dangerous undercurrent building that will eventually have to be dealt with. The Red Shirts exist for a reason and eventually their complaints have to be heard.

-Tourism at the 60 Million level is absolutely unsustainable and will never occur. At the present 32 million level -the strain is already showing.  There is also a backlash from Thais who are 'irritated' at being brushed aside while the powers that be cater to foreigners instead of their own people.  A perfect example is the Bangkok Administration policy of removing street vendors except in tourist areas. Does the Government really expect poor Thais to eat in a restaurant at minimum wage salary? In addition, allowing a 99 year lease of land by foreigners denies access to poor Thais for land and a chance to advance.

-Having gone through a succession of Governments and coups- the only thing I can comment on is that it affects hardly any foreigners and unfortunately hardly any Thais.There have been massive improvement in roads and highways but huge increases in traffic due to easy loans which have indebted people who cannot afford them. The 30 Baht health scheme has been a big positive but expats also need a health scheme they can buy into such as the Thai Social Security system. Life in the countryside is much the same.  Any big industrial project heads for Rayong or Chonburi while Issan gets nothing. and the population base increases in Issan which long term could mean possible unrest. There is a huge imbalance in incomes in Thailand much like we see in America and the UK.

-Thai society like much of the World has broken down for a variety of reasons. There is a lack of role models except useless movie stars and singers that contribute little to society. There is a breakdown in the education system with little guidance on morality; adherence to societal norms; critical thinking and preparing students for real life situations. At the same time, the family unit is not cohesive; parents absent trying to make a living and no real guidance . In addition,  adherence to the teaching of religion have been degraded by poor role models in the way of clergy and a replacement by social media which contributes little to a realistic life view.

-I don't fear for my future as a foreigner in Thailand but I do fear for the future of Thai society and my family as members of society. Thailand actually has the resources to become an economic powerhouse and raise the income levels of its poor and middle class but I am not sure it has the will to do the changes necessary to accomplish it.

13 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I have almost 50 years experience regarding Thailand and things Thai.  It certainly has changed since my first visit and some for the better and some for the worse. I still enjoy life in Thailand and will never leave although if I was single and looking for a retirement place- I would consider other options along with Thailand . Here are my thoughts on life in LOS and the future.

- Immigration issues are much better now than when I first came. At one time it was very hard to stay in Thailand more than 15 days but the different Visa options now are many and apply to a cross section of people.  In the future we will see less Westerners staying long term because they will be unable to meet the financial requirements and as more Thais become educated- less foreigners will be needed as management. In addition, other countries are providing more opportunities to stay long term with less hassle.

-Thai people are much the same as far as being friendly but the life of the poor is much unchanged. People in rural areas away from the tourist trade are much friendlier and willing to help. However, Thais in general are exhausted from work; travelling to work or home and trying to improve their lives. The education system has not improved and is bogged down by the civil service system that refuses to adapt.

-Economic development has helped mostly the rich and has pulled some into the middle class but nowhere near enough. The minimum wage is too low to actually improve people's lives as the cost of living has gone up considerably and will continue to go up. Jobs for the uneducated have dried up because of the  minimum wage increase and the exploitation of the rich. These workers have been replaced by imported labor who will work well below the minimum wage so the Thais return to their village and try and live off the land and find some support from family.  A succession of Thai Governments have become oblivious to this and don't really care but there is a dangerous undercurrent building that will eventually have to be dealt with. The Red Shirts exist for a reason and eventually their complaints have to be heard.

-Tourism at the 60 Million level is absolutely unsustainable and will never occur. At the present 32 million level -the strain is already showing.  There is also a backlash from Thais who are 'irritated' at being brushed aside while the powers that be cater to foreigners instead of their own people.  A perfect example is the Bangkok Administration policy of removing street vendors except in tourist areas. Does the Government really expect poor Thais to eat in a restaurant at minimum wage salary? In addition, allowing a 99 year lease of land by foreigners denies access to poor Thais for land and a chance to advance.

-Having gone through a succession of Governments and coups- the only thing I can comment on is that it affects hardly any foreigners and unfortunately hardly any Thais.There have been massive improvement in roads and highways but huge increases in traffic due to easy loans which have indebted people who cannot afford them. The 30 Baht health scheme has been a big positive but expats also need a health scheme they can buy into such as the Thai Social Security system. Life in the countryside is much the same.  Any big industrial project heads for Rayong or Chonburi while Issan gets nothing. and the population base increases in Issan which long term could mean possible unrest. There is a huge imbalance in incomes in Thailand much like we see in America and the UK.

-Thai society like much of the World has broken down for a variety of reasons. There is a lack of role models except useless movie stars and singers that contribute little to society. There is a breakdown in the education system with little guidance on morality; adherence to societal norms; critical thinking and preparing students for real life situations. At the same time, the family unit is not cohesive; parents absent trying to make a living and no real guidance . In addition,  adherence to the teaching of religion have been degraded by poor role models in the way of clergy and a replacement by social media which contributes little to a realistic life view.

-I don't fear for my future as a foreigner in Thailand but I do fear for the future of Thai society and my family as members of society. Thailand actually has the resources to become an economic powerhouse and raise the income levels of its poor and middle class but I am not sure it has the will to do the changes necessary to accomplish it.

Excellent post.  It's certainly true about big industrial projects going to the Chonburi/Rayong region.  The largest chunk of the government's economic development money seems to be earmarked for the Eastern Economic Corridor--something like 1.5 trillion Baht according to some reports. 

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Hi Ian - If CNX means you are in the CM area, I am also in North Central Thailand, but just do not see anything like what you discuss in your first paragraph... Where I am, it seems totally full employment and people cannot find workers. I see no effect of any of the things you mentioned, near the opposite. In my village, if anything, I have been surprised at the wealth that is surfacing here as some relatives have become ill and are opting for private hospitals at no small expense and no griping either... I don't see or hear anything of government handouts... I don't see any desperate poverty, though I do see a slowdown somewhat for businesses, the mall not as crowded and such. I attribute some of that to people having bought cars on payment plans that maybe they could not fully afford or it is cutting into ability to spend... but in the past 15 years here, I have seen so many farmers buy and pay off tractors and vehicles and seem to be rather well off... at least, much more than before... any ideas? Can your area be that much different than mine? Are you in a poor area of Isaan? - - Any info appreciated. 

I live in a very rural area 5 hours drive from CM.  7 yrs here. My first 3 yrs in CM in the Elite Expat Bubble.  I give a truthful account of what I see here.  CM and its growth I would suggest merely supports my assertions that the poor really are getting very much poorer, and the Elite, a small minority overall, simply don't give a rats bottom.  The day of reckoning will arrive.  Some good posts above.  Good discussion.  Different points of view.  For mine, I am living smack bang in the middle of it. 

Post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

More government controls on foreigners.

More xenophobia towards foreigners.

More gouging of foreigners.

Higher cost of living.

If I keep digging in this pile of horseshit long enough I might find a pony!

But I doubt it!

We have lived here for 2.5 years.  Will we continue to do so? HMMMM.

Have met a few scam artists - but they exist in every country.

Virtually all the Thais we have met have been very friendly and helpful - yes even my tuk-tuk driver.

We know there is rampant corruption, but, then again think of TB (Tony Blair) in the UK and you will see what I mean.

Love living here, climate, food scenery and the people.  We have made many friends here both Thais and other visitors to the country.

My only gripe is that I would love a part-time job (I am 62 and have worked in the UK for 44 years) but the obstacles to even voluntary work is mind-blowing.

The financial situation is disheartening - the £ is way down on a year ago.

The visa situation is depressing - as we are not married we have to prove an income of 1.6m baht - difficult at the moment.

Yes we chose to live here but Cambodia with its easier visa requirements and the ability to work there without restrictions does beckon.

An interesting thread which I, for one, fully appreciate.

I have been coming here for visits/work for a long time and living here 4.5 years. 

The government here seems set on a strange path where civilian rule leads to mayhem that the military then feels the need to sort out. Such stop start changes help no one overall. Then again, look at the UK, USA and France and what they are voting in!

Visas here are a conundrum. The last two years have been fine with my multi entry visa and because i travel ourside Thailand for work, the 90 day visa run has had no real impact on me. I can see this weeing me off, however, if the day ever dawns that I retire. Staying here on a permanent basis but having to traipse to a border every 90 days strikes me as a childish imposition. I see the very long term visas will probably have the 90 day duty too.

Driving will be an ongoing problem I have no doubt. Being crashed into twice in a month has done nothing for my affection for my fellow road users here. I see a lot a decent, courteous and safe driving here that gives me hope. Then I see ten year olds in charge of a motorbike ... with their younger siblings as passengers. You all know the rest. Very few governments are really serious about car and traffic management and this government is no different. The police are not helping here either as bad drivers, uninsured drivers, motorcyclists without helmets ... all thrive here.

My daughter is just about 2 years old and i fear for her sanity as her village dwelling grandmother and other relatives have already registered her as Buddhist in their village and they started to indoctrinate her before she was even a year old. We moved house because of that. I know this is a Buddhist community and whilst I really have no time for deities and faiths and religions, it is obvious that my daughter will face these things at school. My point is, I want no one to assume that she is a devout Buddhist, at the beck and call of anyone with a parade in mind. Mrs Todlad will help me out here and save our daughter from the grasp of the in laws but she is a Buddhist although she acepts my position!

2 minutes ago, todlad said:

An interesting thread which I, for one, fully appreciate.

I have been coming here for visits/work for a long time and living here 4.5 years. 

The government here seems set on a strange path where civilian rule leads to mayhem that the military then feels the need to sort out. Such stop start changes help no one overall. Then again, look at the UK, USA and France and what they are voting in!

Visas here are a conundrum. The last two years have been fine with my multi entry visa and because i travel ourside Thailand for work, the 90 day visa run has had no real impact on me. I can see this weeing me off, however, if the day ever dawns that I retire. Staying here on a permanent basis but having to traipse to a border every 90 days strikes me as a childish imposition. I see the very long term visas will probably have the 90 day duty too.

Driving will be an ongoing problem I have no doubt. Being crashed into twice in a month has done nothing for my affection for my fellow road users here. I see a lot a decent, courteous and safe driving here that gives me hope. Then I see ten year olds in charge of a motorbike ... with their younger siblings as passengers. You all know the rest. Very few governments are really serious about car and traffic management and this government is no different. The police are not helping here either as bad drivers, uninsured drivers, motorcyclists without helmets ... all thrive here.

My daughter is just about 2 years old and i fear for her sanity as her village dwelling grandmother and other relatives have already registered her as Buddhist in their village and they started to indoctrinate her before she was even a year old. We moved house because of that. I know this is a Buddhist community and whilst I really have no time for deities and faiths and religions, it is obvious that my daughter will face these things at school. My point is, I want no one to assume that she is a devout Buddhist, at the beck and call of anyone with a parade in mind. Mrs Todlad will help me out here and save our daughter from the grasp of the in laws but she is a Buddhist although she acepts my position!

The 90 day report does not necessarily mean a trip to the border.  Here in Phuket we can just urn up at either of the immigration offices with our paperwork.  In some area of the country it can also be done on-line.

2 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

The 90 day report does not necessarily mean a trip to the border.  Here in Phuket we can just urn up at either of the immigration offices with our paperwork.  In some area of the country it can also be done on-line.

Or done by mail in some areas.

But this is off topic.....

Back on topic please.

22 hours ago, gamini said:

if you compare Thailand with other places, it still the best place to retire.. "I don't mean places like Pattaya or Phuket. I've been here long time and I and I wouldn't live anywhere else. We did leave Thailand about 20 years ago and  emigrated to Australia. We stayed about three years it was very disappointing , so we returned to Thailand. It does also matter where you live in Thailand has some nice places.  Where we live now there are about 200 expats, Nice beach, good food and very friendly Thais.

I guess that you went to live in Alice Springs  or some similar place . 

22 hours ago, iancnx said:

I should add that I have been married 7 years on an Annual Extension for those 7 years.  7 years of annual stress of not knowing if I can remain, and reporting every 90 days has taken its toll, of course.  I won't dwell on the well rehearsed points........

I am not in this situation, but think that it  a very unfair situation where a man married to a Thai with a Thai family has to go through  this stress of not knowing how much longer he has with his family and having to report every 90 days. The government really should have some compassion for men in this situation.  Also let long term married men own their land to build a house. Where are the human rights here .

2 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I did not know that but i suppose that's because i have never had to do it yet. I do find that our local immigration people are friendly but there are times when theur answers are noy so revealing.

I will ask about the 90 day report specifically next time i go there

1 hour ago, oldsailor35 said:

I am not in this situation, but think that it  a very unfair situation where a man married to a Thai with a Thai family has to go through  this stress of not knowing how much longer he has with his family and having to report every 90 days. The government really should have some compassion for men in this situation.  Also let long term married men own their land to build a house. Where are the human rights here .

If you let married guys own their own houses what happens if they divorce? Thailand isn't going to allow a way for a Farang to own his own place potentially with no Thai in on it. 

On 4/29/2017 at 6:30 PM, OmarZaid said:

As I see it, ex-pats who stay will need to accommodate a changing mindset and general dumbing-down of Thais  due to the extremely inadequate educational malaise and moronic TV programming. City dwellers will be marooned in Islands of ever growing jealousy and malice behind the unlearned smiles. These are the most dangerous places in the not too distant future because of the lack of communal restraints that accompany anonymity. So beware! I say this because the Thai male is becoming increasingly ostracized in his own land by policies and personal inadequacies that prevent the genuine ascendance of dignity to hold dominion in his heart. Traditional ways are becoming hollow rituals without the moral meaning and guidance they once held, which means the fabric of this society is  degenerating due to the above cited programming and inadequate education. Thus, the gang mentality under top-dog administration will prevail at street levels once the present 70+ year-old generation dies off.

This being said, the constructive thing to do is to learn some Thai, not make enemies, stay close to traditionally strong families, do not offend folks in authority, and do not rely on the 'gated community' mindset. Those days are coming to an end, except for the privileged few who really don't deserve them.

Expats are dealing with a new generation of Thais that have been distanced from the ancient moral patterning that gave them the authentic 'land-of-smiles' folk-soul that withstood their enemies. Now one sees desperation everywhere, disguised by empty outward forms. My wife (of >10 years) and I live in a semi-rural setting. At her  prompting we just put iron bars on all points of entry because she 'cannot trust' the community not to produce some thieving jerk who will knock me on the head just because I am white and we have what he/she will never get. Not only that, but the number of widowed/divorced & single women who would scheme just to compromise me for some form of traditional pay-off is substantial.

I do not overly concern myself with worry over these matters, but I do note them and take them to heart. Nonetheless, I prefer living here and doing what one should intelligently do to maintain civilized boundaries and restraints. For that matter, I make it a point to let everyone know that we maintain good relations with local police, communal chiefs, government officials and immigration officers, etc. I attend weddings, and all funeral with due respect, and go to Temple on all special occasions. My wife is also a highly respected retired teacher who knows (taught or taught with) most of the elders, middle aged parents and their children. For the unintelligent, I highly recommenced Pataya and another drink.

All the best.

You could really use a trip to Pattaya and a drink. Cheers?

On 4/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, kenk24 said:

All boils down to over population... In 1974 Pattaya  was a dusty dirt road with some bungalows... it would have been impossible to imagine then what it is today... your predictions sound more like what I would call likelihoods.. 

I think you've got the date wrong, I think you may 1954. In 1964 Pattaya was a lovely place. the sea was crystal clear.. There was no pollution and every weekend most of the diplomatic corps and expats working in Bangkok came there. I was working in Bangkok. I went down there every single weekend where I shared a bungalow right on the beach. We had wonderful diving and spearfishing and a great restaurants and a beautiful new hotel with a disco. there were no girly bars or bar brothels like now. But what really have destroyed Pattaya is the lowlife riffraff, pimps and criminals who made it their home

On 4/29/2017 at 6:30 PM, Monkeyrobot said:

It's getting expensive here in BKK , some food and drink prices are more expensive that the US, as for the future I can see a lot of empty condos up for sale. 

You have a point about prices in Bangkok but this has always been true.

Likewise people have always been seeing lots of empty condos up for sale.........in the future. i have been waiting a long time to see this.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:30 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Improve:

Granddaughter (rattling my nerves) will leave the house next year :smile:

State pension due in 3 years, drain on savings close to zero.

Worsen:

Company pension since this month, fixed Euro(!) amount, no increase.

Seemingly unstoppable price hike for imported deli.

Old bones getting tired.

Tourist herds spoiling my interest in travel.

More and more traffic. No more fun in driving.

Uncertain:

Politically all is good that does not end in bloodshed (or forced exodus).

Euro.

Steady as she goes captain. 

Just now, The Dark Lord said:

Thanks El G my old mate, I did not realise you cared!

There are some on here I care for and some I am scared of. The later is starting to outnumber the former. I do not want to be the last gentleman left standing.