Several injured as Aeroflot flight hits turbulence before landing in Bangkok

webfact

Several injured as Aeroflot flight hits turbulence before landing in Bangkok

REUTERS

BANGKOK/MOSCOW (Reuters) - Several passengers were injured on an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Bangkok when their Boeing 777 ran into "severe turbulence" 40 minutes before landing at the Thai capital on Monday, the Russian airline said in a statement.

The airline said the crew was unable to warn passengers of the approaching danger as the turbulence occurred in a clear sky.

"Several passengers were injured," the statement said.

The Airports of Thailand Pcl , Thailand's main airport operator, told Reuters that the Boeing 777 had landed in Bangkok, but said any other comment should come from the airline.

Aeroflot operates two flights a day from Moscow to Bangkok. Thailand is a top destination for Russian tourists, with many visiting the country's beach destinations.

(Reporting by Vladmir Soldatkin in MOSCOW and Cod Satrusayang in BANGKOK; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-01

Russia's Aeroflot Plane Hit by Severe Turbulence, Over 12 Injured

Russian Embassy in Thailand provides all necessary assistance to the Russian citizens who were flying by Aeroflot airlines from Moscow to Bangkok and were injured due to turbulence hitting the aircraft, a Consul on duty told Sputnik on Monday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — He added that there was no exact data on the number of victims among Russian and foreign citizens, as the list with passengers names were not specified yet.

Russia's Aeroflot airline plane was hit by short-term severe turbulence early on Monday. After the aircraft landed in Bangkok, all the injured passengers were taken to a hospital.

So far I can confirm that the aircraft was hit by turbulence, passengers got fractures, bruises and sprains, they are in hospital now. All necessary assistance is provided to them," the diplomat said.

Full story: https://sputniknews.com/asia/201705011053161863-aeroflot-thailand-turbulence/

-- Sputnik 2017-05-01

Some 20 people seriously injured as Aeroflot plane hits air pocket in Thailand

BANGKOK, May 1. /TASS/. At least 20 people were injured, some of them seriously, when a plane of Russia’s flagship air carrier Aeroflot has hit an air pocket while en route from Moscow to Thailand’s Bangkok, a Russian diplomat said.

"Those injured suffered multiple fractures. There are Russians and foreigners among them," the head of the Russian embassy in Thailand’s consular department, Vladimir Sosnov, said. "Apparently, those who were injured did not have their seat belts fastened."

The injured were taken to a hospital in Bangkok. Embassy employees have been sent to hospital to offer assistance, if required.

Russian ambassador in Thailand Kirill Barsky said a dozen of victims currently stay in hospital, two of them are being operated on.

An airport source told TASS that 25 people were injured, when flight SU-270 flew into "a zone of strong turbulence" while approaching the Thai capital.

"19 people were hospitalized. Other passengers received the necessary aid and refused from further treatment," the source said.

Full story: http://tass.com/world/944060

-- Tass 2017-05-01

At least 27 hurt in turbulent Aeroflot Moscow-Bangkok flight

BANGKOK/MOSCOW: At least 27 people were injured on an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Bangkok on Monday when their Boeing 777 hit an air pocket, the Russian embassy in Thailand said in a statement.

It said 24 of the injured were Russian nationals and 15 of them were taken to a Bangkok hospital for treatment. The other three injured were from Thailand.

The Russian airline said in an earlier statement that several passengers had been injured during "severe turbulence" 40 minutes before landing in the Thai capital.

It said the crew was unable to warn passengers of the approaching danger as the turbulence occurred in a clear sky.

"All the injured were sent to a local hospital with injuries of a different kind of severity, mainly fractures and bruises," the embassy said. "The reasons behind the injuries was that some of the passengers had not had their seatbelts fastened."

Full storyhttp://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/at-least-27-hurt-in-turbulent-aeroflot-moscow-bangkok-flight-8808850

-- Channel News Asia 2017-05-01

At least 27 hurt in turbulence on Aeroflot Moscow-Bangkok flight

REUTERS

r1.jpg

A still image from video shows passengers lying on floor and debris in plane cabin onboard an Aeroflot Boeing 777 flight from Moscow to Bangkok after it hit turbulence, May 1, 2017. MANDATORY CREDIT Provided by RR/Rostik Rusev/Handout via Reuters TV

BANGKOK/MOSCOW (Reuters) - At least 27 people were injured on anAeroflot flight from Moscow to Bangkok on Monday when their Boeing 777 hit an air pocket, the Russian embassy in Thailand said in a statement.

It said 24 of the injured were Russian nationals and 15 of them were taken to a Bangkok hospital for treatment. The other three injured were from Thailand.

Three Russians have undergone operations lasting several hours, Russian RIA news agency reported, citing a Russian diplomat in Bangkok. The diplomat cited doctors who say their lives were not in danger. Aeroflot also dismissed some media reports about spine injuries.

r2.jpg

A still image from video shows plane kitchenware and cabinet fallen over onboard an Aeroflot Boeing 777 flight from Moscow to Bangkok after it hit turbulence, May 1, 2017. MANDATORY CREDIT Provided by RR/Rostik Rusev/Handout via Reuters TV

The Russian airline said in an earlier statement that several passengers had been injured during "severe turbulence" 40 minutes before landing in the Thai capital. It said the crew could not warn passengers of the danger because the turbulence occurred in a clear sky.

"All the injured were sent to a local hospital with injuries of a different kind of severity, mainly fractures and bruises," the embassy said. "The reasons behind the injures was that some of the passengers had not had their seatbelts fastened."

Airports of Thailand Pcl, Thailand's main airport operator, told Reuters the Boeing 777 had landed in Bangkok, but said any other comment should come from the airline.

Aeroflot operates two flights a day from Moscow to Bangkok. Thailand is a top destination for Russian tourists, with many visiting the country's beach resorts.

(Reporting by Vladmir Soldatkin in MOSCOW and Cod Satrusayang in BANGKOK; Writing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Editing by Tom Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-02

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There's a reason I avoid Aeroflot like the plague. Lucky it was a 777 that didn't break into pieces.

Not sure if you can blame the airline or pilot but agree that avoiding Aeroflot is a good idea....... Took this same route myself 12 years ago and it was the worst flight of my life..... More than half the passengers were roaming around, almost deafening levels of noise from drunken passengers and the area by the toilets at the back there were about 20 people with some obviously smoking in the toilets and I'm sure a couple having sex in there too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have been in very nasty turbulence once and that was all it took for me to keep my seat belt on at all times other than when I get up to go to the toilet.

I hope the injured recover soon and airlines take notice. These sort of injuries have occurred before and will again.

Seat belts should be worn on a plane the whole time, other than when absolutely necessary.

lets hope airlines take notice?    they have been out 2 lunch or what?

10 minutes ago, cheechee said:

lets hope airlines take notice?    they have been out 2 lunch or what?

They were 40 minutes from landing, about to commence descent, last call for lavatory,  no weather in the area and the seat belt light was not on. Then they encountered clear air turbulence, which cannot be seen and cannot be detected by onboard radar.

Out to lunch? Airlines should take notice of what?

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Dunno if captain misread dodgy air approaching, but this can and does happen to any airline. People take seat belts for granted. 

It was a clear sky incidence the pilot and air control can't see it on radar. Normal turbulence occur in storm conditions which can be seen on radar and can be avoided. With the present technology on aircraft this type of turbulence can't be avoided.

I've flown Aeroflot quite a few times in the past. Started when they were still using Ilushin planes 12+ years ago, and only stopped flying them a few years ago, by which time their international sectors were all flown with new 777's. the reason I stopped using Aeroflot had nothing to do with the on board experience, but due to the fact that it's state owned and Russia murdered 196 of my countrymen in a single terror attack.

my experiences with Aeroflot were pretty good overall, from no alcohol served on board at all!, to almost guaranteed 3 or 4 seats per pax when sitting in the back. And from the video and mention of most victims being in the back of the plane, it appears a lot of these people might have been lying down. I used to do the same in Aeroflot in the back. Just take 4 empty middle seats and create a bed! However, Aeroflot crew wasn't bothered much by checking if you wore a seatbelt without a cue from the cockpit that turbulence was expected. Whenever I had an 'economy flat bed' I rearranged the seat belts, so that I could put on two when lying down, changing them back to normal configuration prior to landing. 

• Like 1

This is definitely not the fault of the airline because they constantly remind passengers to have their seat belts buckled. There is nothing they can do to stubborn passengers for not taking their advice. 

• Like 2