Weather in Bangkok - it's getting tough

CLW

37 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Great food from just about any area of the world.  Good taxi service at very reasonable rates,  The best medical facilities in the area.  Immigration office with clear rules.  Air transportation to the world.  Top schools and education facilities.  The best choice of shopping in the country.  Abundance of good hotels.  Very reasonable rent outside of central areas.  Air conditioning that works on power that does not fail.  

Negatives there are - but overall it is normally a very pleasant place to live.

I'm almost convinced..  yes the taxis can be reasonable.. if they want to take you.. I understand being close to great medical service if you are expecting a heart attack..  and have lots of $$.. air transport.. well Swampy is only an hour away by air from any major town/city with an airport..  great shopping.. good if you spend a lot of time shopping.. good hotels.. yes.. but if you are living there presumably you don't spend a lot of time in hotels.. short time maybe.. cheap rent.. anywhere in the country outside central BKK and the tourist traps.. I live in a relatively small town.. no problems with electricity or internet..  For me I like BKK for the bookshops.. interesting food too..  watching the daily circus on the streets is fun.. but 3 days max for me.. different strokes for different folks.. as they say.. but I hate the smog and humidity and traffic.. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm almost convinced..  yes the taxis can be reasonable.. if they want to take you.. I understand being close to great medical service if you are expecting a heart attack..  and have lots of $$.. air transport.. well Swampy is only an hour away by air from any major town/city with an airport..  great shopping.. good if you spend a lot of time shopping.. good hotels.. yes.. but if you are living there presumably you don't spend a lot of time in hotels.. short time maybe.. cheap rent.. anywhere in the country outside central BKK and the tourist traps.. I live in a relatively small town.. no problems with electricity or internet..  For me I like BKK for the bookshops.. interesting food too..  watching the daily circus on the streets is fun.. but 3 days max for me.. different strokes for different folks.. as they say.. but I hate the smog and humidity and traffic.. 

Smog and humidity are exceptional this year - Bangkok is flat land so normally there is air circulation.  The traffic is indeed not a bright spot.  But at least these days most commercial transportation is not using diesel so much less black smoke in the air.  .

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In my view it has been a lot worse this year and have lived here continually for the last 25 years.  Thai wife agrees.

Where I live in Kalasin, last year we had about 10 straight days of over 40. Since then, until now, the weather has been great. Long wet season (unlike in 2015), (comparatively) cool winter and this summer has been mostly pleasant. Until now. My gadget showed Feels Like 45 at 9am today! This nasty stuff is very late in the season though, and the wet season is just around the corner.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Where I live in Kalasin, last year we had about 10 straight days of over 40. Since then, until now, the weather has been great. Long wet season (unlike in 2015), (comparatively) cool winter and this summer has been mostly pleasant. Until now. My gadget showed Feels Like 45 at 9am today! This nasty stuff is very late in the season though, and the wet season is just around the corner.

It was nasty all April here in Bangkok - normally there are showers along with Songkran but this year no showers and little festivity - just hot and humid all month.  

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes.. we have been lucky, haven't we?   Today was a stinker.. and tomorrow too form the forecast.. but cooler and a thunderstorm on the way.. I hope.. The early mornings are nice.. 

6 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I normally walk the 1 km to the Phra Khanong BTS. But when I stepped outside into the steam cauldron yesterday, I took a moto taxi. 

I feel better reading the comments.

I arrived here at Nakon Phanom yesterday and walked to the nearby "Tuesday" market. I really felt the heat walking back around 6pm.

I am also feeling better today.

For better or worse; I coughed up Baht 1,900 this morning for the first time.

This allows me to hang around the Mekong River for 60 days till end June.

The immigration lady at BKK said she is making a note in the system about my many "visits" for nearly a year.

The Air Asia flight was "just sitting" at Changi Singapore for an hour without a squeak of an explanation from the Captain. On the ground; the fly through counter lady declined my request..had to exit International & re-enter Domestic to add to the queue: to clear the security check points again.

I have 2 boarding passes on my mobile but did not help with clearance. Air Asia has fly through arrangements to Udon Thani but need to pay for 2 separate tickets to transfer here.

At least; a random staff was helpful with the boarding gate info which does not show up on the mobile.

Maybe print a boarding pass in the future assuming one tenth of China is not at the Bangkok Airport at the same time.

So..some of my baht helps to pay for the rust on the yellow submarine instead going to Tony at Air Asia this time.

My neighbour said today that the many ants around indicate that rain is on the cards.

I do miss the food and one two shopkeeper friends at Phra Khanong.

I did call the chicken rice owner with new year wishes..Sukhumvit 71..

So..looks like a KIV  for the Lao plans for at least 60 days...

I am thankful for all the useful stuff at this thaivisa site..life is sweaty but still ok.

Yes, every year I feel it warmer, but I am smart enough to understand that every year I am older, and that people always feel heat more when getting older. Not rocket science, just need to use one's brain for something else but eat and poop.

49 minutes ago, abab said:

Yes, every year I feel it warmer, but I am smart enough to understand that every year I am older, and that people always feel heat more when getting older. Not rocket science, just need to use one's brain for something else but eat and poop.

Actually believe most of use feel the cold more when we age - I run aircondioning at 29c these days

8 hours ago, MrNeilThai said:

Stay  in AC at all times if possible. Also know that Hot season is ending soon. The rainy season will come next which is much more comfortable.

The world as we have known it for the last millennium is truly changing.The susceptibles will state that "it is between the ice ages and it will reverse to be as before".True that it will keep reversing to some degree but it will not reverse to as it was and will only get hotter in many places and have colder climate in others.As an old fart I am pretty well stuck where I am but for you younger people that can afford to set up somewhere else you should start inspecting other places and planing to live there.Oh yea don't buy a house close to the shore line....DJ

4 hours ago, franck1972 said:

And always remember, it's better 1-2 months of heat here than 4-6months of ugly cold humid weather like in most western countries.

Precisely.  Every time I get sick of sweating, I remember I could be scraping ice and snow off my car in the half-darkness, bundling up in so many clothes I can barely move, clomping around in heavy boots with wet salt-ruined floors, hoping I don't hit ice and wreck my car (or that someone else doesn't hit ice and wreck my car), dealing with dry skin and a persistent cough, being vitamin-D deficient, going somewhere and having to carry a coat/hat/gloves around, tromping through miserable snow, not looking nice because it's too bloody cold not to be bundled up in a sweatshirt and such, on the colder days hoping my car starts and feeling the poor thing's joints as stiff as a 90-year-old's, oh and did I mention freezing my arse off every bleeding day???

I'll take the heat, thanks.

(I haven't seen the temp above about 38 or 39... I was expecting a lot hotter, thought I'd read up to 43 at least was normal this time of year?  Wasn't everyone saying thi shot season wasn't supposed to be so bad as others recently?  This is my first hot season here so I wouldn't know.)

Edited by Katia

Scorching in Chiang Mai, and very humid too, worst I can remember for years. There is going to be one helluva boom when the rain arrives, not too long I suspect! Today has been the worst for years, don't have aircon only fans so it is like being in a fan oven, just want to get away from the heat but sadly the lam yai need watering but at least I can soak myself in the filthy ground water I pump up!

While I don't like  the absurd humidity, I just returned from a visit to my sister in the North East USA. I was there a month and the only time I did not shiver was when I was in the hot shower. I'll put up with a few more weeks of heat...my only regret is that we really did not get any sort of winter this year due to the freak storms which brought flooding to the South and kept the heat over BKK. Last year was more normal, cool winter and hot summer. 

Hot weather in April yes so went back home on the 26 now to a 10c during the day and -5c during night a little change I might say a lot more enjoyable  to wear warm clothes.

Have fun in the beautiful land of smiles.

I don't live in Bangkok, but we have pretty much the same weather in Nakhon Sawan, high temps maybe one or two degrees higher than BKK. Last year was a lot worse during the heat wave, most of the month of April. Just have to suffer through it until the monsoon shifts and the rainy season starts. As for perspiring after showering, when I was stationed in Washington, D.C., I learned to just adopt the attitude, "Well, that's the way it is." Just don't even try to get dry. And don't ever, ever comment, even to yourself, "Wow, it's hot." Keep your thoughts focused on other things.

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In my view it has been a lot worse this year and have lived here continually for the last 25 years.  Thai wife agrees.

It's your age, your getting older and that you're going to feel.

I'm 80 and still walk a few km every day, hot or not.

Hot weather is not bothering me, freezing temps in my homecountry is.

Cold feet and layers of clothing, brrrr!

My dogs, who are not that old, beg to differ.  They are requesting fan earlier every day.  

As you said it is the cold that we fear in our senior years.  But this year it has been a sauna.

To add to the refrain . . . Last night with a friend at W District. It was so hot and humid (humidex of 42C at 10 pm) that we were swimming in our clothes. We couldn't take it anymore and just got up and went home early. I can't remember doing that before, and I've lived in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Phnom Penh and Bangkok in the hot season.  

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

On 5/3/2017 at 1:31 PM, Razzler1973 said:

I live in Dubai and I call this 'a pleasant day', you damn lightweights! :P

It is funny, I have no problem walking around in this weather - in the middle of the day.  I noticed it was a little warmer recently, but within reason.  I do live in AC (27C/28C) and it feels absolutely freezing the first 5 minutes after I am at home.... but I don't feel uncomfortable outside while walking around.....