Pattaya to Hua Hin Ferry Do you think 1250 Baht one-way is too expensive? Poll

fforest1

Pattaya to Hua Hin Ferry Do you think 1250 Baht one-way is too expensive?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

the fact that it doesn't allow cars (which to me is what "ferry" means, otherwise it is just a boat).

Unfortunately your restricted definition is uniquely yours.

fer·ry
ˈferē/
noun

1. 1.
    a boat or ship for conveying passengers and goods, especially over a relatively short distance and as a regular service.
    synonyms: passenger boat, passenger ship, ferry boat, car ferry;

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Because if you tick that it is reasonable you can't vote without answering part two even though that makes no sense.

Check the poll again. I fixed the problem by adding another choice for question 2.

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

The OPEX should not determine the ticket price.

The price should be determined by comparison with the alternatives vs. convenience and if the resultant demand doesn't cover the opex then it will fail.

Alternative is a bus(es) or a taxi.  Bus would be around 3-400 total one way (I'm guessing).  Taxi probably more like 3000+ but could take 3-4 (or possibly more).  Time wise the Ferry is probably a little quicker (depending on traffic could be a lot quicker).  So 5-600 pp for the ferry would be acceptable IMO, for the convenience.

Now if it were a car ferry, you'd need to compare cost of driving... perhaps 1.5-2 k for fuel (nothing else really matters).  Then a 1-way cost of the car should be perhaps 2.5-3 k, to include upto say 4 passengers. 

660 one way for me driving 330 kms in my 2,5 triton double this for return trip I can carry 5 people or more if in the pickup back area 

1 hour ago, garbolino said:

660 one way for me driving 330 kms in my 2,5 triton double this for return trip I can carry 5 people or more if in the pickup back area 

Fair enough, now include the price of buying that car. I agree with the poster that said for tourists it is an okay deal. I guess your average tourist may only take it one way. If I go to Pattaya with my friends and want to get to HH I would take it. It isn't too bad if the people you are going with pay their own fares.

Most tourists don't have a car and many would be willing to pay the premium to go on water. Water transport is almost always more than over land. The last ferry trip I took was from Bali to Gili islands ( a bit over 2 hours trip) and was something like 1,299 each way. Is it a tad expensive? Sure it could be said it is but a tourist isn't really going to be deterred by it.

If you are paying the tickets for your wife, FIL, MIL, SIL, BIL and a handful of their friends it is obviously much cheaper to pack them up in the back of a truck while that is still legal.

2 hours ago, garbolino said:

i could do the trip by road for 660 one way therefore just double this for round trip....i have 2.5 triton

And there's the rub.  The majority of Thai's ride scooters and 99% of (short time) tourists don't bring their car with them to Thailand.

I think 1250 is over the top, but I'd pay that in a minute to take a ferry (with my e-bike) from Khlong Toei pier to Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Chang, or just about anywhere to avoid that 1-2 hour traffic snarl getting out of BKK on a Friday afternoon, and back into town on Sunday afternoon.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I find the price ridiculous as is the fact that it doesn't allow cars (which to me is what "ferry" means, otherwise it is just a boat).

My only interest in this service would be not as a way to get to Hua Hin but as a short cut in driving to points further south - which of course only works if it takes car. Even with a car, 1200 baht would be overprices IMO.

Exactly. My only reason for using this service would be to travel south by bike. 

Big mistake running a ferry without bike or car access. 

I used the service last week from Pattaya to Hua Hin and was pleased to have lunch at Khao Takiab then return home in the knowledge that had I taken the bus I would be on the road for another approx 4 hours.

Great service but expensive.

15 hours ago, doctormann said:

Agreed that the road journey to Hua Hin is a PITA but you could get five people - maybe more - in a car.  What the car journey would realistically cost I haven't worked out - more than just fuel costs - but the ferry trip would cost 5 x 1250 Baht for the same number of people.  That's 6250 Baht - and that is far more than the car journey would cost.

All depends on how you rate convenience over cost, I suppose.  Also, don'r forget that if you go by ferry you won't have the use of a car at the other end so maybe not that convenient.  What we really need is a reasonably priced car ferry - dream on!

Maybe a van or extended SUV. You think you are going to fit five adult farangs in one car with driver? Where you gonna find four other cheap farangs for that crowded ride? Four would be uncomfortable, three may be the optimum number.

However, B6250 may be the price. Bangkok to Pattaya car hires--car and driver--B1500-2000--that was June 2015. That's about 150km. Pattaya to Hua Hin is about 325km, a little more than double the distance. So B3000-4000 for Pattaya to Hua Hin--3 x B1250 equals B3750.  

Somebody has to have taken a taxi from Hua Hin to Pattaya recently--or am I the only one who enjoys the freedom to stop for a cold beer anytime you like. What was the cost? 

17 hours ago, pumpjack said:

PS.  one last thing,  the taxi drivers at the pier in hau hin take only 1 passenger from khao tapiak to hau hin a journy of approx 4 kilemetres,  they should be filling the backs of these taxis with 8-10 people and charge 100 baht ahead instead of being greedy and charging one customer 400-500 baht but its the stupid thai thinking which i can never get my head around

I think the official Bangkok meter rate is 35B for the first 2km, then about 5-6B per km. So an 8km journey (5 miles) should cost under 75B. That's for the whole taxi. Sounds like the military should be looking at the Hau Hin taxi mafia also.

http://bangkokhasyou.com/the-new-thai-taxi-meter-fares-are-here/

A taxi that can take 8 or 10 people in the back presumably isnt a taxi at all but a songthaew. A 4km shared journey in one of those should be around 10-20B per person, not 100B each. Land of scams indeed.

7 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

I used the service last week from Pattaya to Hua Hin and was pleased to have lunch at Khao Takiab then return home in the knowledge that had I taken the bus I would be on the road for another approx 4 hours.

Great service but expensive.

You went there for lunch only? Must be a good restaurant. I go to Bangkok for lunch on occasions but it's under 2 hours each way and only costs me about 1000B in total for fuel, tolls, and wear and tear. Or under 400B if I take the airport bus and the airport link.

18 hours ago, steve73 said:

// Now if it were a car ferry, you'd need to compare cost of driving... perhaps 1.5-2 k for fuel (nothing else really matters).  //

Real cost is far more than that; Probably by 2 or 3 times! Not including wear and tear in your car travel cost makes your comparison fully biased IMHO

12 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Big mistake running a ferry without bike or car access. 

Most ferries all over the world do not allow cars. Also don't forget this new line is on a temporary solution. They have announced 2 bigger boats (with cars!) to come, for when Hua Hin pier will be able to receive them.

The actual price seems ok to me, as I would probably use it just for 1 or 2 persons for a week-end, not for a full family or tribe.

My family went from Pattaya to Hua Hin last month on a week holiday. Considering that price 4 people x1250 x2 ways. That is 10,000 baht! It doesn't include transportation once you arrive...

Instead I paid for 2 tanks of diesel and drove...

I'd pay 1250 one way if the return was FREE. Who'd want to stay there (HH) anyway?

Rather like some bridges/ferries. eg. Penang  you only pay to get on the island never to leave it. That's how it was last time I did it 20+ years ago.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:32 PM, Suradit69 said:

Unfortunately your restricted definition is uniquely yours.

fer·ry
ˈferē/
noun

1. 1.
    a boat or ship for conveying passengers and goods, especially over a relatively short distance and as a regular service.
    synonyms: passenger boat, passenger ship, ferry boat, car ferry;

Pretty sure Sheryl grew up in the USA, as did I.  We always expected ferries to carry vehicles.  Could be a regional use of the term even within the USA?  (FWIW, I grew up in the Midwest.)

Most ferries all over the world do not allow cars. Also don't forget this new line is on a temporary solution. They have announced 2 bigger boats (with cars!) to come, for when Hua Hin pier will be able to receive them.

The actual price seems ok to me, as I would probably use it just for 1 or 2 persons for a week-end, not for a full family or tribe.

Suppose it depends on where you come from. In Europe all ferries are equipped to carry cars & bikes, and most of them even large trucks & lorries.

I have travelled from UK on an overnight ferry to Holland & Belgium with my bike for the equivalent of 3000 baht return. That includes a bed in a shared cabin!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is only 600 Baht to take the car on the ferry (including driver) from Donsak to Samui

And only 160 Baht for a foot passenger.

On that basis, the Pattaya HH ferry would appear to be overpriced.

On 5/9/2017 at 3:51 AM, anotheruser said:

The amount of people that say it is cheaper for them to drive and only consider petrol is unbelievable. You can take the ferry many many times for the price of a new Hilux and insurance.

You have a point, but for me my 2004 Chevy truck has only 55k kilometers on it, looks and runs like brand new. I guess I could add in an oil change and 500 baht worth of rubber too. It is not like we do it every week. I am not buying a new truck for a vacation.

35 minutes ago, smccolley said:

You have a point, but for me my 2004 Chevy truck has only 55k kilometers on it, looks and runs like brand new. I guess I could add in an oil change and 500 baht worth of rubber too. It is not like we do it every week. I am not buying a new truck for a vacation.

But what percentage of Thai's and (even more importantly) what percentage of short stay tourists have cars or pickups they can drive?

I can sleep and eat in my own Asoke apartment for around 1000 baht a night.  Yet, within a stone's throw there are dozens of thriving hotels charging 3000-8000 a night and successful restaurants where it costs 1000 baht just to eat dinner. And strangely, the more expensive ones seem to be MORE crowded.  Maybe they're onto something?

Edit:  In fact, from a strictly math standpoint, if they're 1/3 full at 1250 baht, how full would thy have to be to make the same revenue at, let's say, 300 baht?  How great would that be for passenger comfort and repeat business from moneyed passengers?  (Or use your own recommended pricing and utilization percentages to run your own numbers...)

Done the trip from Hua Hin to Pats quite a few times. Its a pretty easy drive. Costs? About 1000 baht in fuel both ways plus as many stops as you like. I have one so am extra 1000 baht tops. Thats against 5000 baht plus taxis. For me 6-800 in total. Time is similiar considering 30 min to get to Takiab + 1hr before recommendation + 2hr trip + taxi in Pats which could be 30 min so 4hrs. Thats about the same as an average trip by road maybe a little quicker. When you add the possible cancellation due to weather events so I would need to find alternative way home or pay another hotel it's just not worth it. The fare needs to be around 500 baht imo.

14 hours ago, smccolley said:

It's kind of the same thing as a home improvement channel on youtube. they show you how to make a magnificent table for under $50. The catch is they have over $100,000 of tools on hand to do it. 

On 5/7/2017 at 10:10 AM, Fulwell53 said:

Of course old  expats are going to baulk at paying anything. Come to another country and they dont want to pay a cent other than for alcohol and other things available in bars.

And your point is.??  :)

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

It's kind of the same thing as a home improvement channel on youtube. they show you how to make a magnificent table for under $50. The catch is they have over $100,000 of tools on hand to do it. 

Plus, people just add up the cost of fuel, forgetting that's a small portion of the total cost of owning and operating a vehicle.  There's depreciation, maintenance, insurance,  finance costs, living in a place where you have a parking spot and on and on.  It still may be cheaper than the cost of the boat ride, but not as cheap as some folks make it out to be.

And they all seem to remember that one trip where they made it in 3 hours, forgetting about all the other times when they got stuck in traffic for 2-3 hours just getting through Bangkok.

Plus, people just add up the cost of fuel, forgetting that's a small portion of the total cost of owning and operating a vehicle.  There's depreciation, maintenance, insurance,  finance costs, living in a place where you have a parking spot and on and on.  It still may be cheaper than the cost of the boat ride, but not as cheap as some folks make it out to be.

And they all seem to remember that one trip where they made it in 3 hours, forgetting about all the other times when they got stuck in traffic for 2-3 hours just getting through Bangkok.

Depreciation? No, my vehicle bought used & has actually increased in value.
Maintenance? 20 baht for a bulb.
Insurance? 300 baht.
Finance costs? None, paid cash.
Parking spot? Free

And on and on? Please elaborate?

For me, fuel is largest cost of owning a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

28 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

And on and on? Please elaborate?

For me, fuel is largest cost of owning a vehicle.

Beginning on Jan. 1, 2016, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:

• 54 cents per mile for business miles driven, down from 57.5 cents for 2015
  • 19 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes, down from 23 cents for 2015

The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile. The rate for medical and moving purposes is based on the variable costs.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/2016-standard-mileage-rates-for-business-medical-and-moving-announced

Given that the cost of gasoline generally runs $0.10-0.20 per mile at current US gas prices (IRS says $0.19 for all variable costs), the experts would say you're either not adding it all up, or you're very frugal on the maintenance.  

In any case, you're probably not their target demographic...  Just like the  3000-8000 baht hotels in Asoke don't cater to me since I live there anyway- for about 1000 baht, all in -including food.  But they seem to be doing fine.

Archived