Time to step off the pegs?

Rhys

Well mates,

As much as I love riding a motorcycle, started with a mini-bike, Briggs and Stratton White Engine,  it may be time to step off the peggs...  Not riding very much,  don't particular like going fast anymore, now, going over 100K,  I feel uncomfortable riding on the streets.  It would be nice to trade it all in and just go back to a dirt bike, put it in the back of the track and find the trails.

This is the third such realization it may be time to step off the pegs...  Sorry Papa, thought it was a phase....

Well if you fell it that way, it is likely the way to go, step off the pegs and only stand on them on the trails.

Get a pick-up truck and truck the dirt bike out to the nice trails.

It is risky riding a bike here on public roads, the wrong place at the wrong time and you can end up in the statistics. 

I still love riding too much to give it up yet.

What's the big deal?  Sell your bike and take a break from riding if the fire has gone out- if you don't miss it, then it was the right decision- if you do miss it, buy another bike.  Losing enthusiasm for something isn't uncommon, and going bikeless for a while isn't an irrevocable decision.

I came to that realization a couple of years ago. A miraculous escape from certain death. Coming around a bend, full lean (for me) and a pickup coming straight at me fully in my lane. Haven't done a long ride since.

It has nothing to do with my health or ability, I just don't trust the drivers here.

Had many close encounters. Still amazed every time I look in the mirror that I am still alive.

Bought a CRF last year - as an addition to the fleet. Idea was to explore the roads less travelled, get into the remote parts of the North. Got mine with knobbies and bought a set of 17's from new. Never used the knobbies.

I now like the pace of riding - the almost non existent traffic, the remote spots to take a break, eat a little, snap a few pics.

Since I bought it, the Dyna and the CBR have gotten very little use. Altho when I return to Singapore it won't be on the CRF !

But I understand where you are coming from. Lived balls to the wall my whole life - quite enjoying the quieter life now. But I would not quit riding unless health forced that decision on me. But give consideration to where - and what - you ride. I have found many spots it would be a real chore to get to with the HD or CBR.

Like here ...

Bridge.jpg

21 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds like pretty normal road riding to expect here on occasion.  :biggrin:

I know what you're saying, similar things had happened hundreds of times before to me. But this time it felt like lights out, and something changed after that. I just didn't want to do it anymore.

Yes those moments can be a life changer.  Not a week goes by where I don't mutter (Rather loudly), at some ignoramus dipshite who puts my life at risk due to their crap driving.

Ones heat rate increases exponentially to the potential damage these idiots may cause. And I don't call this a thrill either.

I like riding bikes but it can be stressful at times. Luckily I've only had to stop once in the last 3 years and get off the bike to regain my composure when a pickup truck nearly rear ended me. I had to run the red light or he would have gone over the top of me.  Scary stuff.  Luckily the way was clear or it would have been lights out.

Trail riding sounds good. Did that lots in my teenage years. Fun times

Just go slower. Sit there at 80/90 ie 50-55 mph taking the sights and sounds and smells in. Take in the surrounding scenery. For this to be pleasant you need the correct type of motorcycle. Something olde, vintage and classic or something like one of the new Enfields or a Yamaha SR 400. Most good fun, don't be in a hurry or planned daily mileage limit.

Back in the day, we never went super quick anyway, because i never rode with people who had Jap 4 multis. Out on a run, cruising speed was 70-80 mph. Now, out here it's more like 110-120 kms per hour, but i'm quite happy sitting on the Guzzi at 100 per too on B roads.

Just go slower. Sit there at 80/90 ie 50-55 mph taking the sights and sounds and smells in. Take in the surrounding scenery. For this to be pleasant you need the correct type of motorcycle. Something olde, vintage and classic or something like one of the new Enfields or a Yamaha SR 400. Most good fun, don't be in a hurry or planned daily mileage limit.

Back in the day, we never went super quick anyway, because i never rode with people who had Jap 4 multis. Out on a run, cruising speed was 70-80 mph. Now, out here it's more like 110-120 kms per hour, but i'm quite happy sitting on the Guzzi at 100 per too on B roads.

Agree! That's why I bought a Scrambler Sixty2.

Here in Pattaya I ride the pcx just about everyday, downtown errands or to some restaurant I want to check out. 

This gives me an enormous fell of freedom I rather not be without. 

I only been out on my Versys once this time home from work, 50km in total, making me thinking, should I sell it?

However when I manage to get out on it, it puts a huge smile on my face, picking the places to accelerate hard very very carefully.

No, I keep it for now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2017 at 4:38 PM, papa al said:

If papa did not

have motorcycling to keep sharp,

the mind, would go south.

;-)

[Haiku}

Gives us a Tanka,  Papa...  include a metaphor in line 4...personification in line 3, and throw in the end rhymes...

Edited by Rhys

On 5/23/2017 at 7:52 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

Here in Pattaya I ride the pcx just about everyday, downtown errands or to some restaurant I want to check out. 

This gives me an enormous fell of freedom I rather not be without. 

I only been out on my Versys once this time home from work, 50km in total, making me thinking, should I sell it?

However when I manage to get out on it, it puts a huge smile on my face, picking the places to accelerate hard very very carefully.

No, I keep it for now.

Well, I'm doing that now...last long ride, shoulder, and hands hurt... only riding an hour...  Yes, when I look at the bikes, I do smile....