Red-faced over Blackface: Vogue Thailand fails with model channeling Grace Jones in blackface

webfact

On 6/2/2017 at 0:53 PM, Bluespunk said:

You want to know my view, then...

Well you know what to do. 

I would like to know your view about something

What if the Asian Woman who wore make up to resemble Grace Jones , which you consider to be a racist act, what if She had gone out and spent three days in the sum, getting naturally darkened, would you then consider that to be acceptable ?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I would like to know your view about something

What if the Asian Woman who wore make up to resemble Grace Jones , which you consider to be a racist act, what if She had gone out and spent three days in the sum, getting naturally darkened, would you then consider that to be acceptable ?

Read the thread. 

I've made my views very clear on how I feel about whitening up. 

There is a world of difference between getting a tan and the abomination that "blackface" is. 

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Read the thread. 

I've made my views very clear on how I feel about whitening up. 

There is a world of difference between getting a tan and the abomination that "blackface" is. 

OK, so, If a person wants to resemble some other person who has darker skin than themselves, they cannot use any make up, they have to get dark naturally in the sun or a sun bed 

Would they be allowed to use any sun creams or would that come under "make-up", so not allowed ?

Just now, sanemax said:

OK, so, If a person wants to resemble some other person who has darker skin than themselves, they cannot use any make up, they have to get dark naturally in the sun or a sun bed 

Would they be allowed to use any sun creams or would that come under "make-up", so not allowed ?

"Blackface" is an abomination. 

It has nothing to do with make up. 

"Blackface" use is paying homage to all the hate, prejudice and bigotry that lies behind it. 

One has to wonder what motivates someone to defend such racist practices...

Just now, sanemax said:

You missed my point .

(And it was also nothing to do with Western Woman in Saudi)

My point was about one person going to another Country and expecting them to live by the protocols of their own Country

And yet in your post you mention American women in Saudi. 

Go figure. 

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You have missed my point again .

I did explain my point in my previous post , which was in reply to you originally missing my point.

You missed my original point, you missed myself explaining that point and you missed my point for a third time, 

I do feel that it would be pointless trying to get my point across for a fourth time

I got your ''point'' and your example to back it was seriously flawed.

Your ''point'' itself was irrelevant to this topic, being attempt to link a racist tradition to an inaccurate claim, as I have pointed out to you.

Now while there are religious bigots who would enforce the veil, they are no better than bigots who would defend ''blackface''.

Edited by Bluespunk

On 5/31/2017 at 6:06 PM, Bluespunk said:

Nothing to do with PC.

The whole ''blackface'' thing is racist to the core.

Not always intentionally and I doubt it was in this case.

However the history behind it should be enough for any company realise that it is not a road to go down.

I'm astonished that in this case it was vogue...

That bloody R word again. 

It is only racist in western society because the PC brigade and media is goes out of its way to promote the R word.

why was it humorous when the Wayan brothers played white females in White Chicks???

Why acceptable that Johnny Depp played Tonto or Yul Bruner played an Asian or Anthony Hopkins played an Hispanic in Zorro.

People need to harden up.

21 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah, so it's some now.

Right...

"Blackface'' pays homage to a tradition rooted in hate wherever it happens.

No it doesnt .

There is no connection all between blacking up in the USA 50 years ago and Asians dressing up like Grace Jones (To pay homeage) in 2017 .

So your advice to the Asian lady who dressed up to resemble Grace Jones would to be to go out and lay in the sun until your skins darkens and resembles Grace Jones, but do not use any make up ?

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No it doesnt .

There is no connection all between blacking up in the USA 50 years ago and Asians dressing up like Grace Jones (To pay homeage) in 2017 .

So your advice to the Asian lady who dressed up to resemble Grace Jones would to be to go out and lay in the sun until your skins darkens and resembles Grace Jones, but do not use any make up ?

''Blackface'' use pays homage, intentionally or not, to a tradition rooted in hate and bigotry.

The advice you give about tanning is yours not mine.

I never made any such statement.

''Blackface'' and make up are not the same thing, as I previously told you.

My position has been, remains and always will be that ''blackface'' because of it's history is wrong.

42 minutes ago, Marley01 said:

That bloody R word again. 

It is only racist in western society because the PC brigade and media is goes out of its way to promote the R word.

why was it humorous when the Wayan brothers played white females in White Chicks???

Why acceptable that Johnny Depp played Tonto or Yul Bruner played an Asian or Anthony Hopkins played an Hispanic in Zorro.

People need to harden up.

No, it's racist because of it's roots in hatred and bigotry.

I've already condemned the movie you mention.

I never said Johnny Depp playing Tonto, a stereotype based in intolerance, was justifiable or right.

People need to stop using such bigoted stereotypes.

54 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"Blackface'' pays homage to a tradition rooted in hate wherever it happens.

I have no idea about what happened on USA TV 50 years ago

But , I do have some recollection of what happened on UK TV over 40 years ago .

People blacking up was done in entertainment programmed , comedies and cabaret .

Wasnt done as any race hate .

Whether it was acceptable or not isnt the point, the point that is was done as entertainment and humour  .

Numerous other groups of people who dressed up to, as well 

Just now, sanemax said:

I have no idea about what happened on USA TV 50 years ago

But , I do have some recollection of what happened on UK TV over 40 years ago .

People blacking up was done in entertainment programmed , comedies and cabaret .

Wasnt done as any race hate .

Whether it was acceptable or not isnt the point, the point that is was done as entertainment and humour  .

Numerous other groups of people who dressed up to, as well 

See the part of my quote you chose to respond to for an answer to this.

It applies.

18 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

'

I never made any such statement.'

So, what it your stance on that ?

Would you find it acceptable if an Asian Lady to got a natural sun tan in order to resemble GJ ?

(Please do not reply with "Read the thread , I answered that", because you havent )

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

See the part of my quote you chose to respond to for an answer to this.

It applies.

So, You say something , I reply disagreeing and you say exactly the same point again .

That has happened numerous times in this thread .

Just now, sanemax said:

So, You say something , I reply disagreeing and you say exactly the same point again .

That has happened numerous times in this thread .

No, you've repeatedly tried to defend this use of ''blackface'', and that's what it was.

Despite the fact you must by now know it's history of hate and prejudice.

I've made clear I don't think it was intentional, yet you seem not to care if it was or not.

That's what's going on here.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Despite the fact you must by now know it's history of hate and prejudice.

I've made clear I don't think it was intentional, yet you seem not to care if it was or not.

What I am saying that maybe blackface does have a history of hate and prejudiced in the USA (I do not know, but, I will take your word for it )

But in Thailand there is no such history or prejudice .

I do believe that you, as an American , just cannot comprehend that all Countries are not the same as the USA , they do not have the same history as the USA and other Countries have different outlooks to Americans .

A Thai dresses up as a Jamaican and an American says "You cannot do that" because of what happened on American TV 50 years ago .

Who the hell do you guys think that you are . going around the World , telling everyone else what to do ?

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What I am saying that maybe blackface does have a history of hate and prejudiced in the USA (I do not know, but, I will take your word for it )

But in Thailand there is no such history or prejudice .

I do believe that you, as an American , just cannot comprehend that all Countries are not the same as the USA , they do not have the same history as the USA and other Countries have different outlooks to Americans .

A Thai dresses up as a Jamaican and an American says "You cannot do that" because of what happened on American TV 50 years ago .

Who the hell do you guys think that you are . going around the World , telling everyone else what to do ?

A: I'm not American.

B: It doesn't matter where the history of hate started, such is the prejudice and bigotry behind ''blackface'' that it is unacceptable to use anywhere.

C:I never said anything about dressing up, ''blackface'' isn't dressing up. It's paying homage to hate.

D: I will always speak up when I see hate celebrated.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

C:I never said anything about dressing up, ''blackface'' isn't dressing up. It's paying homage to hate.

You still havent answered the question .

If the Asian lady had got a natural suntan by spending three days in the sun, in order to resemble Grace Jones , would you find that acceptable ?

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You still havent answered the question .

If the Asian lady had got a natural suntan by spending three days in the sun, in order to resemble Grace Jones , would you find that acceptable ?

I have already said that tanning and ''blackface'' aren't the same thing.

I've already said if someone wants to tan that's their choice.

Do you retain any information from posts that don't say what you want to hear?

Edited by Bluespunk

9 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Edited by sanemax

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I would like to see how Bluespunk, breaks down the subtle difference between makeup and racism.

At what point do you cross that line?

We need to know because our wives might be racists.

Nonsense

Oh and if you want to know how I would answer something have the courage to quote me.

Edited by Bluespunk

Wouldnt  allow me to comment .^

I did ask you a question, which you didnt reply too.

I then asked you again , and you said that it was my opinion and not your opinion

I then asked for your opinion and you then said you already gave your opinion and that I dont listen , you then gave your opinion (for the first time) .........and Im now confused 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Go back further in the thread...

Plus

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

7 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I would like to see how Bluespunk, breaks down the subtle difference between makeup and racism.

At what point do you cross that line?

We need to know because our wives might be racists.

Here is the rules :

You Wife can wear White make up or darken herself by natural sun tanning, BUT, she isnt allowed to wear dark make up , thats racist

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Here is the rules :

You Wife can wear White make up or darken herself by natural sun tanning, BUT, she isnt allowed to wear dark make up , thats racist

Who said that?

I know I didn't.

I did however say ''blackface'' and make up aren't the same thing...

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do you agree with it or not though?

(I will answer that for you "Re read the thread")

Do I think that it is racist to use make up?

Dear Lord, you are getting desperate in your defence of this instance of using a racist tradition.