Prayut to visit the US next month

rooster59

Prayut to visit the US next month

By The Nation

a70ebb3f3ee5ad8fdd36a4260eb4e3c7.jpeg

PRIME Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha is set to pay an official visit to the United States in July that could focus on trade relations and intellectual property management.

According to an internal document circulated by the Secretariat of Cabinet, Prayut ordered the Commerce Ministry, Foreign Ministry and other agencies to prepare information for the premier during his visit to the US next month, a date for which has yet to be set.

The information will span bilateral economic, trade and investment dealings, solutions to copyright infringement and Thailand’s status in the Special 301 Report. 

The latter is the Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR)’s annual report that rates countries based on their protection of intellectual property rights.

Thailand has been put on the report’s “Priority Watch List” since 2007. That refers to countries that have “serious intellectual property rights deficiencies”, which require increased USTR attention.

Secretary-General to the Cabinet Teerapong Wongsiwawilas affirmed that Prayut’s order came during the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, and stressed copyright issues.

Prayut’s plan to visit Washington follows President Donald Trump’s introductory phone call to him in April, when the American leader invited the Thai premier to the White House.

The phone call was made almost a month after Trump ordered a review of America’s trade deficits, to clamp down on countries that allegedly abuse trade rules. Thailand is one of the 16 targeted countries.

A Government House source said earlier that the US is likely to keep an eye on Thailand in regard to intellectual property, currency management and purchases of military hardware.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30317099

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-03

This clown will totally be out of his league trying to talk to Trump. 

His best bet is to smile, nod, and try not to look too stupid, and let others do the talking for him. 

lol

Edited by Just1Voice

6 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

His best bet is to smile, nod, and try not to look to stupid, and let others do the talking for him. 

lol

I don't think so ...  Trump called him ... so it's obvious the US recognizes Thailand's Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha as the PM.   He has worked hard to bring Thailand back from the brink of complete disruption and lawlessness ....  

It's sad that you choose to stay in a place when all one see's is negativity ...  :wai:

37 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

His best bet is to smile, nod, and try not to look too stupid, and let others do the talking for him. 

lol

I think you have it wrong there, I think they are intellectual brothers. They also share similar ideologies, so the meeting should go well. The only caveat is Prayut's embarrassing attempts to speak English, but then again this may not the impediment that it could be with other leaders.

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It's sad that you choose to stay in a place when all one see's is negativity

But steven100, some might see it as reality.

Yes Trump did call him. He called him to reaffirm that the US was intending to critically review it's trading agreements with Asian countries including Thailand. That review will no doubt include the balance of trade between the two countries and duties and taxes charged on US imported goods.

Nonetheless in the spirit of goodwill he will probably invite PM Prayut down to Camp David for a round of golf. Prayut might need to get in a bit of putting and driving practice. Trump plays off a four handicap so he should expect a lot of Thai swearing, cursing and club throwing from Mr Grumpy.

Trump may also be evaluating the strengths of PM Prayut and look for tips on how to clean up the footpaths, reduce the road toll, how prostitution can boost the economy and how to improve the US education system. PM Prayut might even be asked for advice how to set up a daily fitness program for White House staff.

I wish PM Prayut a successful trip. He will need all the luck he can get so he better pack his favourite amulets.

"A Government House source said earlier that the US is likely to keep an eye on Thailand in regard to intellectual property, currency management and purchases of military hardware. "

Do you think the US will be concerned with the level of expenditure, or who they are buying from? The US doesn't seem to have a problem with military governments, as long as they are buying their guns from Uncle Sam.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I doubt that Donald  Trump even understands the words "intellectual property"  much less "balance of trade".

He probably thinks it is all a "liberal media did-information hoax".

All made up o discredit him.

Yeah, he got to be a billionaire by being an idiot, right?  People like you really shouldn't speak in public and show your ignorance. 

Edited by Just1Voice

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

lol

trump is the biggest league CLOWN on the planet.

I'm sure the Thai leader will receive no lectures about democracy, free speech, freedom of the press, human rights, and having elections. 

That isn't trump's thing.

His thing is buddy up with the world's authoritarian leaders (Putin, Duterte) and alienate traditional pro-democratic allies (Merkel, Macron). 

Edited by Jingthing

lol

I'm no fan of the PM, but it's Trump who's the real clown. And it ought to be interesting conversation considering neither knows much about international issues, and less about each other's country.

3 minutes ago, jerojero said:

I'm no fan of the PM, but it's Trump who's the real clown. And it ought to be interesting conversation considering neither knows much about international issues, and less about each other's country.

I'd be surprised if trump has even eaten a plate of Pad Thai. 

Hoping to see him CURTSY again though!

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

I don't think so ...  Trump called him ... so it's obvious the US recognizes Thailand's Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha as the PM.   He has worked hard to bring Thailand back from the brink of complete disruption and lawlessness ....  

It's sad that you choose to stay in a place when all one see's is negativity ...  :wai:

I actually thought you were joking! As your fellow countryman used the say on the tennis court ... " You can't be serious? " 

Edited by Nip

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

All one sees is reality. Kim heads a blatantly obvious hililary hichahorhip.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'd be surprised if trump has even eaten a plate of Pad Thai. 

Hoping to see him CURTSY again though!

No, you set the bar low with the curtsy...we know that's in his repertoire. I'm hoping for a real scandal...like a video of him wearing frilly panties. Something that will rock Ma and Pa.

30 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I doubt if you could find 100 non-Thai people in the U.S, and even less in other countries, who even know what Pad Thai is, smartass. 

You're joking, right?
Either that or you've never been to the U.S. or haven't been there for about 50 years.

Next ... 

27 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I doubt if you could find 100 non-Thai people in the U.S, and even less in other countries, who even know what Pad Thai is, smartass. 

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of Thai restaurants in America, and I doubt that they exist purely to serve Thais.

And Thai food is eaten throughout England, both in restaurants and as dishes served in pubs and snack bars. Naturally Pad Thai will be very popular, as many people try it when visiting Thailand and is extremely popular with tourists, as has been said many times.

How about this;

"Pad thai is listed at number 5 on list of World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go in 2011"

10 minutes ago, elwood said:

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of Thai restaurants in America, and I doubt that they exist purely to serve Thais.

And Thai food is eaten throughout England, both in restaurants and as dishes served in pubs and snack bars. Naturally Pad Thai will be very popular, as many people try it when visiting Thailand and is extremely popular with tourists, as has been said many times.

How about this;

"Pad thai is listed at number 5 on list of World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go in 2011"

Yes, Thais are a very tiny minority in the U.S. (Thaitown in LA an exception) so of course most Thai restaurants in the U.S. cater to non-Thais, and yes much of the food is badly bastardized (but not at all the places). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Americans

Cultural influence on America

Thai Americans are famous for bringing Thai cooking to the United States. Thai cuisine is popular across the country. Even non-Thai restaurants may include Thai-influenced dishes on their menu.

There are some very excellent Thai restaurants in the D.C. area and even a Thai neighborhood so if mr. trump would like to take a break from his usual fast food and steak with ketchup, it's there for him.

Edited by Jingthing

43 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

No, you set the bar low with the curtsy...we know that's in his repertoire. I'm hoping for a real scandal...like a video of him wearing frilly panties. Something that will rock Ma and Pa.

Ask the FSB (or whatever the KGB are called at the moment). They are rumoured to have the dibs on candid movies involving  Mr Trump.

8 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

lol

No nice  Be 1 clown talking to another They prob get on well

4 hours ago, jerojero said:

Trump might be the clown as you say but he is the President of the United States. Which is more than you are!