Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

1 minute ago, claffey said:

But surely there are better ways to do it rather than flinging yourself off the top of a high building... And yes I have witnessed people in the last stages of cancer. They fought top the end and were able to share a last few precious moments with their family. Their pain was reduced by morphine...

On jumping off a building, we agree.

In the end, even morphine doesn't work.  And I'd bet those people had good insurance...

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, claffey said:

As I said I am not religious. I am, however a family mann and would never do such a thing as I would always put the emotions of my family first...By the way this guy could've killed someone else if he landed on them. Also think about the people who had to clean up his body afterwards. 

Yes, it a real bad way to end it.. a stupid way. But that is what you get when you can't do it a legal other way. I also get that you would have to think of your family, but do you think your family would want you to live in pain every day and watch you suffer ?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You are real harsh, and a religious fanatic in my book. If euthanasia was legal he would not have to jump. He would have had time to consult with his family about this and end it in a civilized way. People don't end their lives because they are feeling well, they do so because they are in pain or have an incurable disease.

But what i hate most about your kind of people is that you limits others options, I can understand you not taking that option yourself. But why forbid others. Its their life and their choice. Now of course they should consult their family but in the end its their choice.

I am in no way religious. If you were such a liberal you could accept that I have another opinion. Do you have any family? Would you consider breaking their hearts in this way? Euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands and Switzerland. Why not just travel there and do it rather than flinging yourself off a high building and endangering others????

1 minute ago, impulse said:

On jumping off a building, we agree.

In the end, even morphine doesn't work.  And I'd bet those people had good insurance...

Jumping is just a real bad way to do it, if I ever had to do it (and could not get back to the Netherlands to do it). I would use drugs or something like that or carbon monoxide, and make sure that whoever found me knew ahead what was coming. Jumping is just a bad way.. that could endanger others. 

By the way, your generalisations of Americans and Christians are very narrow minded. It really astonishes me how people who live in a foreign country can be so bigoted and narrow minded. You would've thought that being immersed in another culture on a daily basis would open their minds to the world. Apparently not for some...

I am in no way religious. If you were such a liberal you could accept that I have another opinion. Do you have any family? Would you consider breaking their hearts in this way? Euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands and Switzerland. Why not just travel there and do it rather than flinging yourself off a high building and endangering others????

I can accept others having an other opinion, i can however not accept others banning it for other people. That euthanasia is available does not mean you have to do it. I could do it and you could not do it. You however are limiting other people their choices because you don't want it. I could get that if it impacted you in any way.. but how does allowing people euthanasia impact you when you wont do it yourself ?

I would of course travel there, but the fact that it is legal in the Netherlands does not mean you can knock on a door of a dr out of the blue and make an appointment to end it. Its a lengthy process and not easy for foreigners to do. You need to make arrangements when your still sound of mind. The doctors need to make sure your suffering and there is no real option anymore. Its not as easy as it sounds. 

By the way, your generalisations of Americans and Christians are very narrow minded. It really astonishes me how people who live in a foreign country can be so bigoted and narrow minded. You would've thought that being immersed in another culture on a daily basis would open their minds to the world. Apparently not for some...

I just seen enough abut American Christians to know they are even more fanatical than those back home. I am an atheist. If they were so liberal in the USA euthanasia would have been allowed. I have read news about American Christians killing abortion doctors so i got a pretty good idea about the kind of Christians over there. I have heard GW Bush talk about crusades... so it really sounds a lot that they are fanatics. 

May he Rest In Peace.

I can relate to why a man would do this for medical reasons.  have been having an emotional fight with this same thing for the past while. 

My bladder quit and I catheter every day and have constant pain that the doctors do not know why. Sometimes it makes it impossible to get around. My life is spent cherishing moments of no pain. Then today I think I had a mini stroke. I got out of bed could not use my leg arm or hand,had no control of the hand or arm. I felt dizzy and disorientated. took about an hour to feel normal. Ending it is present in my mind constantly.Today gave me great concern and made me realize I have to decide soon or I may have a stroke and be unable to do anything and be at the mercy of the medical field.

So I wish to ask robblok if non citizens of Belgium can go there and be euthanised?

2 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

May he Rest In Peace.

I can relate to why a man would do this for medical reasons.  have been having an emotional fight with this same thing for the past while. 

My bladder quit and I catheter every day and have constant pain that the doctors do not know why. Sometimes it makes it impossible to get around. My life is spent cherishing moments of no pain. Then today I think I had a mini stroke. I got out of bed could not use my leg arm or hand,had no control of the hand or arm. I felt dizzy and disorientated. took about an hour to feel normal. Ending it is present in my mind constantly.Today gave me great concern and made me realize I have to decide soon or I may have a stroke and be unable to do anything and be at the mercy of the medical field.

So I wish to ask robblok if non citizens of Belgium can go there and be euthanised?

I looked it up for you, it is possible under certain conditions. I will list those conditions.

- you have to see a Dutch doctor for a while as he has to assess your condition

- you have live in Holland for 4 months (that means rent something and be registered on that adres)

I can see how those steps are hard as they do require money.

I feel for your situation, I wish you a lot of strength and if there is ever anything i can do translations.. advice or anything like that I would certainly help you. 

Terrible way to go and without knowing the circumstances who is anyone to judge. RIP sir and condolences to your family who can hopefully understand the situation as hard as it may be.

1 minute ago, rhodie said:

Terrible way to go and without knowing the circumstances who is anyone to judge. RIP sir and condolences to your family who can hopefully understand the situation as hard as it may be.

It is always hard on families, and I really hope the guy has talked with them and / or left some explanation of his actions. I feel for the family its never good to lose someone. But do you want someone to be in constant pain to live on for them. 

10 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

May he Rest In Peace.

Feel for you. People don't realise the pain some have to endure. Good luck and I hope you can find relief by some miracle. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

It is always hard on families, and I really hope the guy has talked with them and / or left some explanation of his actions. I feel for the family its never good to lose someone. But do you want someone to be in constant pain to live on for them. 

I think you missed my point. 

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just seen enough abut American Christians to know they are even more fanatical than those back home. I am an atheist. If they were so liberal in the USA euthanasia would have been allowed. I have read news about American Christians killing abortion doctors so i got a pretty good idea about the kind of Christians over there. I have heard GW Bush talk about crusades... so it really sounds a lot that they are fanatics. 

I think you'll find that the euthanasia laws are more driven by lobby money from Big Pharma, who make tens, if not hundreds of billions of dollars on end of life care every year.  The longer they can keep their customers alive, the more $$$ they make- irrespective of the quality of life they can provide- or whether it's their drugs or their lobbying that actually keeps them from dying.  Of course, they have to co-opt the Christians to push their agenda because it just wouldn't look good for them to tell us the real reason.

Any politician who goes against Big Pharma $$$ can pretty much look forward to being voted out on their next election by a candidate with real, real deep pockets.

Edited by impulse

1 minute ago, impulse said:

I think you'll find that the euthanasia laws are more driven by lobby money from Big Pharma, who make tens, if not hundreds of billions of dollars on end of life care every year.  The longer they can keep their customers alive, the more they make- irrespective of the quality of life they can provide.  Of course, they have to co-opt the Christians to push their agenda because it just wouldn't look good for them to tell us the real reason.

Any politician who goes against Big Pharma $$$ can pretty much look forward to being voted out on their next election by a candidate with real, real deep pockets.

Maybe your right, but fact remains that without the Christians and their view people would be free to end it. Now in the USA ending your life is easy (i mean with so many guns around). Still I feel that some pil would be more merciful. People should be free to make their own choices (if sound of mind). 

I agree that big pharma would lose out if people could do euthanasia so its reasonable to suspect they lobby against it. 

>>If that's the case here, it's a good cautionary tale that failing to plan for life's financial problems here in LOS (or anywhere for that matter) can actually result in an early death.  <<

He was 67 years old  .Hardly early .

1 minute ago, anto said:

>>If that's the case here, it's a good cautionary tale that failing to plan for life's financial problems here in LOS (or anywhere for that matter) can actually result in an early death.  <<

He was 67 years old  .Hardly early .

Don't say that to all the octogenarians posting here.  They'll lynch ya- if only with words.

As he did this in public, I feel free to comment. Seems they deliberately want to rub it in everyone's face doing it this way. I've never understood the apparent misanthropy behind it, unless they are genuine misanthropes.

Why not just get some tools out, make it look like he was doing some DIY, then give himself a blast of the mains? Or go hiking on a mountain and accidentally-on-purpose slip over the edge? No one will know it was suicide. No public spectacle. No legacy of bad feeling for anyone at all.

Some people really have reached the end, no doubt. But I imagine most suiciders are going through an internal debate with themselves and succumb to an impulse. Nobody likes to lower their standards, but that may be all that's necessary in most cases.

1 minute ago, ddavidovsky said:

As he did this in public, I feel free to comment. Seems they deliberately want to rub it in everyone's face doing it this way. I've never understood the apparent misanthropy behind it, unless they are genuine misanthropes.

Why not just get some tools out, make it look like he was doing some DIY, then give himself a blast of the mains? Or go hiking on a mountain and accidentally-on-purpose slip over the edge? No one will know it was suicide. No public spectacle. No legacy of bad feeling for anyone at all.

Some people really have reached the end, no doubt. But I imagine most suiciders are going through an internal debate with themselves and succumb to an impulse. Nobody likes to lower their standards, but that may be all that's necessary in most cases.

Maybe because those things you suggest are not guaranteed to kill someone. Personally i feel the whole jumping thing is real bad. It puts others at risk and makes a mess. Other ways are better however might be harder to do. That is why its such a shame its illegal. 

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not many hi-rise buildings in the Shires.

Edited by JaseTheBass

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

How is it not a fact ?, 70% of the Americans are Christians, if they were not against euthanasia nothing would stop it. 

Give it a rest about Americans 

Many threads on TV turn in USA comparisons

This is a Thai forum, not a USA Christian forum 

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Give it a rest about Americans 

Many threads on TV turn in USA comparisons

This is a Thai forum, not a USA Christian forum 

Oh dear.. guess someone is sensitive, I had a go at my own countries Christians too (they are the ones opposing even more liberal measures). Just hate it when people limit others choices based on religion. Its normal for us to compare stuff with our or other countries. I guess your one of those people who thinks their country is perfect and any criticism is blasphemy. I often say bad things about my own or other countries don't take it so personal. 

3 hours ago, shady86 said:

I noticed lately many foreigners especially Westerners choose to commit suicide here lately. Is it common in their own country or they find it easier to take their own lives here?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thousands of people are comitting suicide every single year in every single country. Unfortunatelly :( 

1 hour ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Don't these aholes understand that there are people walking below who they could land on?

also, what about kids who maybe around to see them splat?

I wonder where his Thai gf was ....  and his mobile and cards.

Was there any witness,  many strange things happen in Thailand as we all know.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Its normal for us to compare stuff with our or other countries. I guess your one of those people who thinks their country is perfect and any criticism is blasphemy. I often say bad things about my own or other countries don't take it so personal. 

Yes, but nearly every thread someone will reply with "In America blah blah blah" and the discussion turns to the USA .

I have nothing against the USA, just get bored with the constant comparisons on a Thai centric forum

At least sometimes make some comparisons to China or Japan , Ecuador or some other place sometimes