What is going on with the Thai baht ?

28 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

baht.png.eadbf8c9f84757b89ccd913562bc7a38.png

Actually the baht has been rising relative to major currencies, particularly the USD, which is why you get fewer baht for your foreign exchange.

More to do with sinking dollar, Trump, British elections, low to negative interest rates in western countries, etc ... all nothing to do with Thailand. 

Exactly right.  I don't understand how some idiot farangs in Thailand can blame the Thais because their home currency is weak.  In nearly every instance, if your home country's currency is weak relative to the baht, it's all about your home currency.  Duh!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, malt25 said:

"I've posted this many times in the past years, thankyou for your reply.  :w00t:"

Here's a clue.   Reptile.

I don't think you've mastered double entendres yet.

55 minutes ago, Acharn said:

That's funny, the exchange rate I get has the baht getting stronger against the US dollar. I don't remember the exact dates, but I think in April the rate was ฿35.50:$1. In May it was ฿34.31. A couple of days ago it was ฿33.85. The normal language is that the dollar is dropping -- it's getting weaker, because $1 buys fewer baht, its value is less. I have no idea why. My guess is it has something to do with Trump being president*.

Investors slowly realizing that the Fed may not actually be able to raise interest rates as much as they led markets to believe so the dollar is correcting a little. Add to that the emerging reality that Grand Clown Trump can't run the country by executive order, after all 555555 He can't get anything done.

Hardly Thailand's fault

Tomorrow Thursday is a key day

1/UK Election

2/FBI Director gives evidence about Trump

3/Key verdict on Euro economy by the central bank.

The USD is now lower than it was when Trump was elected.

The middle east is ganging up on Qatar over support for Iranian-backed terrorists which can force the price of oil and gas up.

International investors are moving into the safe haven of gold - its on a 7 week high.

The Euro and GBP will be volatile for some time to come.

So the poor old TBH is looking quite stable.

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Tomorrow Thursday is a key day

1/UK Election

2/FBI Director gives evidence about Trump

3/Key verdict on Euro economy by the central bank.

The USD is now lower than it was when Trump was elected.

The middle east is ganging up on Qatar over support for Iranian-backed terrorists which can force the price of oil and gas up.

International investors are moving into the safe haven of gold - its on a 7 week high.

The Euro and GBP will be volatile for some time to come.

So the poor old TBH is looking quite stable.

Or it could be that the USD:THB broke the 200 day moving average and went down to test the 200 week moving average, which it did today.

That's funny, the exchange rate I get has the baht getting stronger against the US dollar. I don't remember the exact dates, but I think in April the rate was ฿35.50:$1. In May it was ฿34.31. A couple of days ago it was ฿33.85. The normal language is that the dollar is dropping -- it's getting weaker, because $1 buys fewer baht, its value is less. I have no idea why. My guess is it has something to do with Trump being president*.

Yes. In fact the US dollar has weakened to its lowest since Trumps electoral win. Stock market may soon follow as Trump continues to falter in his economic change campaign promises like tax reform that significantly would favour corporations.

The question was not how did the chicken or the egg get here, or what laid the egg. It was simply, 'which came first'? Obviously the chicken. If the egg came first how would it have been incubated? The chicken came first, laid an egg, incubated it, and it hatched to create more chickens. Fertilization is another question.

4 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

The question was not how did the chicken or the egg get here, or what laid the egg. It was simply, 'which came first'? Obviously the chicken. If the egg came first how would it have been incubated? The chicken came first, laid an egg, incubated it, and it hatched to create more chickens. Fertilization is another question.

My dear Newbie. Apparently you didn't pick up on the clue !!! Save you going all the way back & rereading my original clue, it's "REPTILE"

However...

...the Baht has remained (inexplicably?) strong and stable through coups, protests, violence, bombings, drought, floods, long term airport and major intersection closures, political schemes and juntas which would severely depress other countries currencies.

The Baht is the Donald Trump of currencies! :biggrin:

Super Old Member;

I caught your clue the first time and appreciated it. Yes, some reptile eggs are incubated by heat generated from earth or mulch when buried. But, the question refers to chickens, not reptiles. If you're referring to an evolution from the reptile to the chicken, then again I appreciate your clue.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:16 PM, Berkshire said:

Exactly right.  I don't understand how some idiot farangs in Thailand can blame the Thais because their home currency is weak.  In nearly every instance, if your home country's currency is weak relative to the baht, it's all about your home currency.  Duh!

OK - then please explain why prices in supermarkets, not only in the so-called "Western Oriented" markets, have been rising so greatly.  Many imported products have gone up ten or twenty percent in this time frame where the baht is stronger and should be able to buy at a better rate?   Simply GREED ??  According to the government, there is virtually no increase in the cost of living here.

Edited by snooky
wording

5 minutes ago, snooky said:

OK - then please explain why prices in supermarkets, not only in the so-called "Western Oriented" markets, have been rising so greatly.  Many imported products have gone up ten or twenty percent in this time frame where the baht is stronger and should be able to buy at a better rate?   Simply GREED ??  According to the government, there is virtually no increase in the cost of living here.

Its called supply and demand . They will charge what they like. Or maybe the cost from supplier has gone up. So lets say the pound dives therefore importing is more expensive. Exporting becomes cheaper. They have to import certain goods to make there product so they put there  price  up to the buyer abroad. Which cancels out the cheaper exports.

On 6/9/2017 at 5:05 PM, snooky said:

While you make a valid observation, I don't see what this has to do with the currency exchange rate between Thailand and your home country.  But if I can make a similar comparison, you ever notice how the price of oil/jet fuel has gone down quite a bit in the past several years, yet the cost of airfare remains the same or keeps going up?  It's like that.

>Since UK decided to follow stupid idea to leave EU the Thai baht will go down in one direction. 

Oh yes, its just terrible in old Blighty.

The fastest growing economy in the G7

Unemployment half that of our neighbours in Europe

A 50% drop in youth unemployment

Exports booming like crazy

I don't know how much more of this we can take!

I would keep swiss francs as a reserve currency...stable, strong and not subject to extreme fluctuations. The Euro is predicted to rise during 2017 if one was to belive the financial gurus of the EU, they claim that the economical situation has improved and thus the European Central Bank will not lower it's interest rates any more. Consequently, if one was to belive the magic phrases of the European Central Bank, the Euro is expected to get a bit stronger during 2017....but considering that none of these glamorous financial superstar's predicted the americain financal disaster a few years ago, god knows if they are worth to trust????

Berkshire said:

But if I can make a similar comparison, you ever notice how the price of oil/jet fuel has gone down quite a bit in the past several years, yet the cost of airfare remains the same or keeps going up?  It's like that.

As I mentioned, simply GREED!

On 2017-6-6 at 11:51 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Since March it has been dropping like a rock. Any ideas, news, predictions?

Quite the opposite really, if it was dropping like a rock, then I'm sure it would make a lot of folks on TV very happy!

THB is way too strong in my opinion and for no good reason.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:29 PM, Skeptic7 said:

However...

...the Baht has remained (inexplicably?) strong and stable through coups, protests, violence, bombings, drought, floods, long term airport and major intersection closures, political schemes and juntas which would severely depress other countries currencies.

The Baht is the Donald Trump of currencies! :biggrin:

You weren't here in 1997, were you?

5 hours ago, Acharn said:

You weren't here in 1997, were you?

Yes and remenber it well and fondly. Can't wait for history to repeat itself!

That event has been discussed and explained ad nauseam, which leads me to the question...what does that event have to do with my post? Nothing in my post can be disputed and never even slightly hinted that the THB held up during the Asian Financial Crisis. Every event that was mentioned was post 1997-1998 by a LONG shot. So asking again...what does 1997 have to do with my post? :coffee1:

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, t8769 said:

>Since UK decided to follow stupid idea to leave EU the Thai baht will go down in one direction. 

Oh yes, its just terrible in old Blighty.

The fastest growing economy in the G7

Unemployment half that of our neighbours in Europe

A 50% drop in youth unemployment

Exports booming like crazy

I don't know how much more of this we can take!

Yes, the fastest-growing G7 economy - a breakneck 2%. Wow! Slow down, I'm getting light-headed

Exports? Exports of what? Weapons to those champions of human rights, Saudi Arabia??

18 hours ago, Mattd said:

Quite the opposite really, if it was dropping like a rock, then I'm sure it would make a lot of folks on TV very happy!

THB is way too strong in my opinion and for no good reason.

My God !!! Some people simply can't or won't get it.

The baht is not too strong. The currencies many TV members derive their incomes in are too weak with well-documented good reasons like quantitative easing, historically low interest rates, anaemic economic growth and insane levels of debt.

Thailand's central bank doesn't set policy to make farang pensioners or other long-stayers comfortable.

The days where farangs can rely on unjustifiably favourable exchange rates to carry them in Asia or elsewhere are very much numbered.

>Yes, the fastest-growing G7 economy - a breakneck 2%. Wow! Slow down, I'm getting light-headed

Perhaps time to seek medical attention.

Yes, we have one of the best performing economies in the world, and the second best in the Europe, along with very low unemployment levels and high investment. Our economy is indeed booming. Only Germany is performing better.

>Exports? Exports of what? Weapons to those champions of human rights, Saudi Arabia??

Saudi Arabia is receives a small portion of UK exports, of which weapons are a portion. 

1 minute ago, Thai Ron said:

My God !!! Some people simply can't or won't get it.

The baht is not too strong. The currencies many TV members derive their incomes in are too weak with well-documented good reasons like quantitative easing, historically low interest rates, anaemic economic growth and insane levels of debt.

Thailand's central bank doesn't set policy to make farang pensioners or other long-stayers comfortable.

The days where farangs can rely on unjustifiably favourable exchange rates to carry them in Asia or elsewhere are very much numbered.

I would agree if it was only related to GBP or USD, however it is not exclusive to these currencies, so what you are saying is that every other currency trading against THB is weak and that is why THB appears strong???

A strong THB does actually benefit certain parties, no one is suggesting that the Bank of Thailand is trying to ruin folks retirement!!!

For many of the reasons you mention above is why the THB should not be strong, especially the debt, Thai's still have access to borrowing money very easily, my ex. wife has just managed to purchase a new Honda HRV at just over 1m THB with 750k of that on finance, she has no job and it was unsecured, this is not untypical of here.

Exactly what happened in 1997 when the crash came to Asia, spending cash that doesn't exist.

The Thai economy is not exactly booming, Military Junta in power, lower income tourists, rice exports way down etc. etc.