Patong - The Wake

Patong2

Certain bars require certain types of girls…

The girls in the Aussie Bar in Bangla don’t humbug for drinks or chatter to you when the footy is on.

They are usually on the ball when you need a refill too, they get paid better than some other bars to NOT humbug.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

Regarding Soi Banzaan, that old half constructed building was pulled down a few years ago and they have done nothing about the narrowing of the street, which as you quite rightly say, causes terrible traffic jams at times. However I believe I read that this is a "private soi" so it doesn't come under the council's jurisdiction, hence the reason nothing is done about that road problem.

I thought I would update that piece of news with regards to the narrowing of the Soi and why nothing has been done about it since the building was demolished.

I had a look at it yesterday and when that abomination was being constructed, to accommodate its incursion into the Soi, the electricity providers installed two concrete "posts/pillars/pylons" to enable the power supply cables to circumvent the would-be building and now the electricity supply cables are supported by those, along with a whole myriad of other telecommunications cables. And they are actually in the Soi/road themselves, so to get the Soi back to a normal size, the posts would have to be removed/dug out and the cables rerouted, so that is quite a major job – – and because of this I can't see it ever happening.

Having said that somebody has decided to put some tarmac in the Soi where it merges with the "middle road" to at least make it usable now – – as for the rest of it, well it's still an abomination.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Perhaps it was because I was younger that I saw it with younger eyes, but now whatever it was has faded and I will consider moving out of Patong after I've done a bit more research as to what other area is less crowded and friendly, on Phuket – Rawai perhaps?

I'm in my 70's now and I still enjoy people-watching and the buzz of Bangla - I spend 50% of my life on Phuket and, although I could never live there, I ride into Patong six nights a week (there's a great band on in my local bar on Thursdays). I have a few  favourite bars and chat with a couple of the girls in Blue Lotus (and your favourite pole dancer) and tip them in cash but never buy lady drinks or takeaways.

It's going to be difficult to relocate - rents have gone crazy in the last year or so even if you’re well in with some locals (I am, fortunately) but I have recommended Kamala to you in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I'm in my 70's now and I still enjoy people-watching and the buzz of Bangla - I spend 50% of my life on Phuket and, although I could never live there, I ride into Patong six nights a week (there's a great band on in my local bar on Thursdays). I have a few  favourite bars and chat with a couple of the girls in Blue Lotus (and your favourite pole dancer) and tip them in cash but never buy lady drinks or takeaways.

It's going to be difficult to relocate - rents have gone crazy in the last year or so even if you’re well in with some locals (I am, fortunately) but I have recommended Kamala to you in the past.

I have been meaning to ask you for a while, aren't there any police checks between Patong and Kamala late at night...? 

I used to go to Kamala and even Rawai from Patong, the opposite of your direction, just once or twice a week for something different. But not for the past couple of years, as I heard there are usually many police checks nowadays, looking for you know what...! 

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

I have been meaning to ask you for a while, aren't there any police checks between Patong and Kamala late at night...? 

I used to go to Kamala and even Rawai from Patong, the opposite of your direction, just once or twice a week for something different. But not for the past couple of years, as I heard there are usually many police checks nowadays, looking for you know what...! 

There is invariably a check on beach road at Lama Park on the way home at 1am/2am but I have never been pulled over there.

I've recounted this in the past - Once or twice a week there is one on the approach to Kamala but, the only time they stopped me and asked if I had been drinking, I told them "Only beer, no whiskey!" and they were happy with that. They now wave me through once they recognise me with the occassional "Go Papa!".

There are (very few) advantages to being an old guy!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to see the problems you are having Xylophone.

We have had our share of mobility problems too and it definitely gives you cause to consider whether Patong is the best place to be.

Are in New Zealand for the past two weeks and already finding it cold (8C as I write this) and boring.

Stuck here for treatment for at least another 8 weeks and it is certainly not a long term option for us.

We will be happy when we get back to Patong.

The thing with Patong is there is such a variety of things that are interesting, challenging and even still exciting (if you find it still exciting to look at attractive women who dress to be looked at).

A walk at 6am along the beach is equal to anywhere in the world.

Supermarketing, restaurants and cheap eats are available easily.

We eat at many restaurants around the island and because of my wife's limited mobility choose places we can park close to the venue. Lots of choice of so many different tastes. 

A short walk down to Soi Sansabai and you can have a ringside seat and a good meal at Summer Breeze or The Yorkshire and others, to a constant parade of, dare I say it, the good bad and the ugly up and down the street for as long as you like.

Having spent periods of time living in places like Ko Khaeo and Cherngtalay, we just find them too quiet for our liking. Nice to visit but not to stay long term.

Patong ain't what it used to be, but it is still pretty darn good.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Your comments are well noted LL, and I know you recommended Kamala to me in the past, and I have been there quite a few times when I had friends who lived there, but it did absolutely nothing for me and I always considered it a "one-horse town". Also a couple of those friends have moved out and another one has died, so even less attraction for me to move there.

There was a time when I quite liked sitting in Smiley Ban watching the world go by, but that view is now blocked by the dancers at the front, attractive as they are! Also my other favourite bar in that Soi, Island Bar, is now no longer the same as it was, as it was sold out from under the previous owner by his then "girlfriend", when he was visiting his home country, so he returned to having "no bar". The perils of owning a bar in Patong!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patong2 said:

Sorry to see the problems you are having Xylophone.

We have had our share of mobility problems too and it definitely gives you cause to consider whether Patong is the best place to be.

Are in New Zealand for the past two weeks and already finding it cold (8C as I write this) and boring.

Stuck here for treatment for at least another 8 weeks and it is certainly not a long term option for us.

We will be happy when we get back to Patong.

The thing with Patong is there is such a variety of things that are interesting, challenging and even still exciting (if you find it still exciting to look at attractive women who dress to be looked at).

A walk at 6am along the beach is equal to anywhere in the world.

Supermarketing, restaurants and cheap eats are available easily.

We eat at many restaurants around the island and because of my wife's limited mobility choose places we can park close to the venue. Lots of choice of so many different tastes. 

A short walk down to Soi Sansabai and you can have a ringside seat and a good meal at Summer Breeze or The Yorkshire and others, to a constant parade of, dare I say it, the good bad and the ugly up and down the street for as long as you like.

Having spent periods of time living in places like Ko Khaeo and Cherngtalay, we just find them too quiet for our liking. Nice to visit but not to stay long term.

Patong ain't what it used to be, but it is still pretty darn good.

You also make some very good points Patong2, putting forward your view of Patong from NZ, and the thought of being in a place where it is 8° C now fills me with dread!

Yes, you are quite right, there are a lot of things to do in Patong and even in my "sick/poorly" state I have managed to get down to Big C to do a little shopping and many of the girls there know me from the years I've been shopping at the store, so I'm greeted with smiles and helping hand if I need it, which has been necessary after the fractured coccyx.

I had forgotten about the Yorkshire as a place to eat, although years ago I had a few good meals there, so must put that back on my list of things to do. However these days I do spend more time in my condo cooking my dinners, than eating out, but then again the options for eating out, as you quite rightly say, are manyfold.

As for a walk along the beach at 6 AM – – hmmmm, not for me I'm afraid, and anyway walking at this moment in time is "difficult", let alone at 6 AM!!

Thinking about it, the fact that I've had a rough four months, what with the motorcycle taxi accident, fractured coccyx, concussion and now Chikungunya, has quite probably clouded my view of the place, although nothing can take away the fact that the traffic here is bloody horrendous, not to mention dangerous, so perhaps I should have a rethink.

Having said that, it's probably time to have a look around down south, and not Kamala as mentioned in the post above, as I've never really explored the south, so that something I will put on my bucket list.

Meanwhile I'm hoping that things get better, although I'm not sure that I will ever be a regular visitor to Bangla again as I was only ever a regular visitor to a couple of bars, both of which were owned by friends, not to mention having a singsong at Red Hot, which I did enjoy!

I will end by saying thank you for your words of encouragement and for giving me a different and positive view of Patong. Good health my friend.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

IMHO, you should never close this thread Xylophone!  It's very interesting to read about the changes (good and bad, mostly bad it seems), in Patong and on Phuket Island.

I left Phuket some years ago and have been bouncing around mostly in Burma and Laos for some years.  But as I approach my UK retirement age next year (66), I have been trying to find somewhere to live in Thailand that I can afford, and which is beneficial for my health.

As we get older, realistically it's all downhill as far as health is concerned.  I was forced to visit the UK last February for some cancer tests, and I did seriously consider returning to live in the UK.  However, my pension income would only allow me to rent some dingy room, and I would be condemned to 'waiting to die' in said room.  Since my bad luck (if you can call it that), would see me living to 99 years old, the thought of 33 years in that room put me right off returning to the UK!

I have been sounding out living in Krabi and currently am in Koh Lanta.  But both locations have very high humidity levels ('cos the clouds from the sea can't get over the hills behind the coast).  So it's not very nice (for me).

I can't afford to rent in Phuket, but perhaps next week I'll drive over to Takua Pa or north Khao Lak and see what I can rent.  The sea breeze in those locations makes for a pleasant temperature.

My ex-wife #3 is still managing her small airport hotel, but it makes no profit to speak off, mainly because of the competition from other hotels and guesthouses (which didn't exist when I built it in 2012).  We are very good friends, and it maybe that she throws in the towel and comes to live with me and perhaps opens a small food business/stall. 

Note that #3 ex is the sane one, #2 ex who is completely mad has offered for me to live with her again in Phuket, but I would rather slit my wrists!!

I hope you get over your accident and fever Xylophone. If you need any help getting off the loo, then I can send mad ex #3 over to help.... 🙂

Thank you for your kind wishes Simon43 and I do remember your posts from way back when you were building your "hotel/guesthouse" in Phuket – – such a shame you had to leave it.

If ex-wife number three is still managing her small airport hotel, is there any opportunity to move into a room there to act as a handyman or suchlike?? Just a thought.

For the record, there are rooms (Thai style, but clean) available in the likes of Nanai Road for around 5000 baht per month, and probably less, and provided one stays away from the likes of Bangla and a couple of the other roads which are more like nose to tail traffic jams, then maybe things will improve, if indeed that's what you want.

Whatever transpires, I wish you all the very best in your endeavours Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

go live at turtle beach with Steve Rosse

FYI:
its very easy to live on phuket island with less than $1,000/month ( even for 2 of us) 
we eat well, dont drink or bar hop and mostly cook at home

2 minutes ago, hansgruber said:

After all this time it's funny how nothing really changes at all.  If it does it always for the worst.  

Hmmm, hansgruber, I think you are about right with that comment, and I will agree with the fact that "if it does it's always for the worst".

I can't think of much that has improved over the years I've been here, if anything, and certainly there are areas which have become worse, if not pitiful now: –

– The heavy traffic which is nose to tail on some of the roads.

– The condition of the roads themselves, which has become downright dangerous in places esp for m/c drivers.

– The policing which was always poor, but is now laughable to non-existent, and this allows poorly maintained vehicles on the road, motorcycle drivers with no helmets (both Thai and farang) and downright dangerous drivers.

– Patong Hill, after the slip was repaired, coming from Kathu to Patong is a dangerous joke because once it rains the Toyota passenger vans cannot get any traction and slip back onto the cars behind, and sometimes skew sideways. Of course poor driving techniques don't help one bit.

– The tour buses are full of ill mannered Chinese who can make life a misery when trying to shop. Visa free trip?

However, one thing which seems to have improved is the fact that in talking to a Tuk Tuk driver to ascertain the cost of a trip from one side of Patong to the beach road, he told me that the cost of every trip within Patong was now 200 baht, which surprised me and is a far cry from being ripped off in the past for a short trip!! A bright spot in the darkness here!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1