Unfriendly supermarket

madox66

I’ve been shopping at Friendship supermarket (Pattaya Thai) since 20 years. They have changed the parking lot and now you must stop motorbikes on the left side take a time and date stamp, have it stamped again by a cashier ( only if you buy something and your product isn’t out of stock) You cannot have a chat if you meet a friend because you’re going to run out of time and who knows what can happen.
I did all this this morning and when I left, I drove through the nearest entrance instead of the Exit way on the left. The security guard (hat, sunglasses and mask) jumped at me and hit me with full power on my left arm in a way to make me loose my balance, which I didn’t luckily. 
I stopped 3 meters away and then he ran again raising his fist so I just drove away because I am 70 years old and not trained to street fighting.
My arm is painful and I have a huge bruise starting to show…

What should I do ? Go to Police ? Have a medical certificate ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70 yo and you still don't know what Entrance and Exit are for ?

I hate people like you who drive wrong way! :post-4641-1156693976:

I nearly got a bike accident entering in my condo park when some delivery driver exited full speed just in front of me, by the Entrance access!

Edited by Pattaya46

9 minutes ago, champers said:

Bad luck you came accross a security guard who wasn't asleep. Or, perhaps you woke him up, hence his displeasure with you.

Yes, I think you're right because I didn't even notice him at first

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

I nearly got a bike accident entering in my condo park when some delivery driver exited full speed just in front of me, by the Entrance access!

Did you punch his face ?

Hire a bunch of highly pumped steroid tattooed and if possible drunk Brits, Aussies or Russians to give the unruly guard a good arm and face, massage!!!:shock1:.:cheesy:

Just kidding..sorry for what happened to you at your age, Sir, and wish you a fast recovery....

I would avoid the corrupt boys in brown with their golden wings, as some do manifest some aversion towards farangs, in Pattaya....they are perhaps a bit jealous of all the pussy and booze cocktails the farangs can afford?...whatever...

If you want to get even, I would alert the local and international press...it may give a lesson and teach one or two? Bad press would hopefully call expats to boycott the store, that assaults farangs on the slightest excuse?

No matter what you did, it does not excuse assault. Take a good lawyer, pictures of your wounds with a medical certificale. The lawyer (if good)  would definately know the strings and pehaps a good letter sent to the PM's office in Bangkok could also yield some incendiary results if you wannt get even, believe me...all depends on home much time, energy (and money) you are prepared to shell in ...

Edited by observer90210

They have to be the grumpiest group of staff I have ever encountered.

I asked to get some coffee ground and I was simply pointing to the setting on the dial and the girl who was one of the most miserable people I've ever met hit my are out of the way. I've never been back since

The way I am reading the original post is that you had gone beyond your "free" parking time and you were evading the parking charge by using the wrong exit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In these circumstances the guard was correct to challenge you, but wrong to punch you (IMHO).

If you complain to the police you could be in trouble yourself.

42 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

that's mean...

10 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

They have to be the grumpiest group of staff I have ever encountered.

Yes very grumpy staff only "bettered' by the mostly cranky and grumpy old men who shop at Friendship or the same low life geriatric types who sit outside the store with sour and resentful looks on their faces. 

Edited by zombie nights

They didn't used to bother about motorbikes so the parking lot was often overflowing with them, especially on the two market days. I agree with them treating motorbikes parking on their premises the same as cars, after all why should they provide free parking to people who are not even going to buy anything in their store?

The security guards there get very angry with people who try to abuse the system. They'd never get away with it in the West but, as many people say, this is Thailand and the rules are different. I saw a car a while back trying to drive out without a stamped ticket, two of the guards were screaming at him and kicking the side panel of his door. I'll bet he had a few nasty dents in that when he got home. I think the driver was probably scared witless as he drove off as fast as he could. Maybe you got off lightly with just a punch to the arm, though there's no excuse for violence IMHO. I'd just have a beer and forget about it if I was you.

And I agree with the other posters here, there's no excuse really for using the entrance as an exit, especially when you've been using the shop for twenty years!

Edited by Guderian

44 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The way I am reading the original post is that you had gone beyond your "free" parking time and you were evading the parking charge by using the wrong exit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In these circumstances the guard was correct to challenge you, but wrong to punch you (IMHO).

No, not at all, I just bought a croissant and was out in 5 minutes. By the way, I don't think there's a sign telling you not to get out this way. Anyway, you cannot evade the parking charge if any because there is another guard for the motorbikes and he would not let you go if you didn't give back the stamped ticket.

I go there to shop.

The service there is efficient and business like.

I much prefer that than fake smiles, wais, and "have a nice day" plastic crapola as in my home country. 

I didn't notice a new girl working as a cashier that is unusually friendly in a genuine way.

Charming but it can't last ... 

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I park there when I go to the market because it is a secure lot.  Never had a problem with anyone.

Market = Bua Khao market (Tue/Fri)?

And that's why they introduced the ticket/fee system.

I had to happen.

It was so crowded that as a Friendship customer you were lost.

A free unlimited parking on private premises in Pattaya is unthinkable in the long run.

Did anyone state what the allowed free time is and the fee when overdue or no shopping?

(previous poster was faster)

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

23 minutes ago, madox66 said:

No, not at all, I just bought a croissant and was out in 5 minutes. By the way, I don't think there's a sign telling you not to get out this way. Anyway, you cannot evade the parking charge if any because there is another guard for the motorbikes and he would not let you go if you didn't give back the stamped ticket.

In that case I think you have good cause to make a complaint to the police - or at least complain to the management of the store.

dear sir/madam. I was shopping today the 13/06/2017 for less than 45 minutes upon leaving I vas asked to pay Bath20.00 for overstay I refused and was punched in my stomach by one of two parking officials this now have made me think I will not shop here again and I will tell my friends about this treatment and I belive you will lose a lot of customers if you do not do anything about it.

I found the above from an online article about the market.

Sounds like there may be an issue with aggressive security guards.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

I would avoid the corrupt boys in brown with their golden wings, as some do manifest some aversion towards farangs, in Pattaya....they are perhaps a bit jealous of all the pussy and booze cocktails the farangs can afford?...whatever...

I doubt that very much, most of the women I see Farangs with wouldn't be very high on the desirability scale to most Thai men

Complain to the store manager. It's a family operation and there is a younger manager who obviously was schooled in the United States.

If you have a good-sized bruise to show, I'm pretty sure that they don't want the parking guards to injure their customers...

Yes, better go during the night as there is no security guard and anybody can park without ticket.

I hate their stupid day time procedure.

Why paying security guards if they are not able to know who just came and parked, but block the cars of people who are not customers ?

A ticket is a hassle for customers but only stupid local people cannot understand this.

At the same time, you are an old man who parked too long for what you bought and then wanted to leave by the entrance.

Then you are wondering why problems happen ?

At your age on a motorbike you will also wonder why a car killed you maybe ? But let me tell you a secret: it will be too late to wonder !

In matters like this, violence by parking lot attendants or guards is unacceptable, and they should be charged with assault.  Resolving a dispute using violence is barbaric and uncivilized and violent people should be locked-up in prison since their behaviour is unacceptable to normal society.

If there is a dispute about money, or non-payment of parking fees, even in Thailand, there are legal processes to recover debts.

Edited by Banana7

For some reason I initially thought this thread was about a supermarket in Chiang Mai - I was kind of shocked to read of such an issue up there, extremely shocked to hear of the abundant disregard for someone else and the readiness of the security guards to use violence. I then noticed that this thread was in fact Pattaya based which immediately made sense...

It seems to me that these events and similar are not infrequent in areas such as Pattaya, Patong and Samui where in contrast to other areas of Thailand in general the locals seems to hold an elevated level of disregard toward foreigners when compared to other areas. 

OP: What can you do? Firstly, complain to the Store Manager. If he promises no action, don't shop there again... and, of course, use the correct exits !

7 hours ago, Broken Record said:

I doubt that very much, most of the women I see Farangs with wouldn't be very high on the desirability scale to most Thai men

Then perhaps we don't go the same hooker bars in Pattaya:cheesy: or the same social venues in Bangkok, either on the lower or upper scale socially speaking...

I've seen quite a lot of real hotties....hot by any country's standards!!!!....but then it's all a matter of taste, obviously....no hard feelings and have fun...!!

Edited by observer90210

5 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

At the same time, you are an old man who parked too long for what you bought and then wanted to leave by the entrance.

Then you are wondering why problems happen ?

At your age on a motorbike you will also wonder why a car killed you maybe ? But let me tell you a secret: it will be too late to wonder !

but was it reason enough to punch a guy who could be your father?????????