"Applying make-up and eating while driving quite alright" says top Bangkok cop

webfact

"Applying make-up and eating while driving quite alright" says top Bangkok cop

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A top Bangkok traffic cop says it is quite alright to apply make-up or have a snack while driving a car.

Jiraphat Phoomjit - deputy director of traffic at the metropolitan police - was commenting on TV after online reports that women drivers caught doing their faces could be sent to jail for a month.

There were rumors circulating online that a new regulation forbid both make-up and food for drivers.

But Jiraphat said it was not like the ban on mobile phones.

It was quite alright to eat or put on make-up - but drivers should wait until it was safe to do so.

Such activity could still fall into the category of negligence but was not specifically forbidden like the use of phones.

People should wait until a red light or being slowed up in a traffic jam before applying a lick of face paint or taking a bite to eat, he said.

He confirmed to PPTV that there was no truth to the rumors that women would be fined 2,000 baht or even sent to jail for a month.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-28

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ratcatcher said:

"It was quite alright to eat or put on make-up - but drivers should wait until it was safe to do so."

Based on that comment, presumably the use of mobile phones is OK, when it is safe to do so.

No, read the article, there was explicit legislation which forbids using mobile phones while driving but there is no such legislation regarding make up or eating, therefore it's only illegal if it comes under dangerous or negligent driving.

I watched a good documentary about how people cannot multitask. When I say multitask, I mean literally do 2 or more things at the same time. Brain can't do it.

When driving, your concentration should always be fully on what you're doing - driving. In a country where most people have had no formal driving lessons, I'd say it's absolutely imperative that they give 100% concentration to driving and nothing else. 

The first thing my missus does when she reaches a red light is pull out her phone. I always remind her that Facebook can wait. She always asks "What's the problem? The light's red". Wait for the light to go green and most people aren't concentrating and take a few secs until they start moving. Another reason traffic is so bad. 

People in power really need to know when to stop and think before they speak. 

To me this is an abuse of power (   Jiraphat Phoomjit - deputy director of traffic at the metropolitan police )  people will think well what the hell  the bla bla of traffic says  so I suppose it`s ok to do these things while driving, cretin.

In Australia if you just hold  even if switched off a mobile phone,and the police see this they will fine you.

36 minutes ago, wprime said:

No, read the article, there was explicit legislation which forbids using mobile phones while driving but there is no such legislation regarding make up or eating, therefore it's only illegal if it comes under dangerous or negligent driving.

Same in Australia but there is an offence of failing to have proper control of a motor vehicle.  This offence covers eating, reading the paper, combing your hair or applying makeup etc etc etc

1 hour ago, tonray said:

But what if you are only using the phone to talk about what you are eating ?

Please, come on. 

We all know the proper etiquette regarding food is to photograph it and post the pictures online... 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Think he maybe just saying that,so people do it and get caught and fined,

otherwise why would he say such a stupid comment.

regards worgeordie

Why would he make such a stupid comment?

Before I answer that I'm going to have to review the laws on libel here again. 

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

"It was quite alright to eat or put on make-up - but drivers should wait until it was safe to do so."

Based on that comment, presumably the use of mobile phones is OK, when it is safe to do so.

Same as big cop who said, yes by the law cars must stop at pedestrian crossings but it would be nice if pedestrians waited until there's a break in traffic so it doesn't disturb the traffic, specific comment in regard to a crossing on Ramkamhaeng Road which carries enormous volumes of traffic 12 - 14 + hours a day. 

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

What a complete and utter idiot? With a mentality like this from someone who is supposed to be enforcing road safety, is it any wonder we have such carnage on the roads?

yeah it fits with the general reputation of the thai police

In the days before mobile phones I can remember following a lady driving a car erratically in Chiang Mai. She was driving slowly but weaving from side to side. I thought she might be drunk but when I finally managed to pass the reason for her driving became apparent - she was breast feeding her baby!