Using Thai ATM card for cash withdrawal in Europe

Thank you for that. How can you know the exchange rate?  Is it the same exchange rate like the Bangkok Bank rate at this moment in Thailand? Does it show at the receive or at the ATM? Is there are maximum limit?

I have a SCB Debit Card (Mastercard) or so-called "HIP Card" and i have used it in UK, more to test it than anything else. In March this year, an SCB branch in Pattaya informed me that it now costs 220 Baht per transaction outside Thailand.

Not having been to Europe for a few years I went to my Bangkok Bank branch yesterday to ask for a new Union Debit Card that I had assessed as meeting my requirements. They were helpful and told me that quite a few Union card holder had complained about transaction problems when using the card in Europe but it worked fine around the Far East. They said that my Be 1st VISA Debit card was the most reliable method of getting cash from ATMs and paying POS bills.

I asked if I needed to validate it for use in Europe and on checking my record said no, it was already cleared, and I could take up to 50k per day ATM or POS.

The Be 1st Debit Card is 'chipped' which is why I got it many years ago when the Bangkok Bank were the only bank offering chipped cards. Yet, when using it at POS in Thailand I have never been asked to enter my PIN and the cashier never checks the signature. 

Yes,  the same here. 100THB charge plus rate of the day at the Thai end on a Be1st visa debit card. Just know that some banks in europe don't accept it, possibly down to them being a national/regional bank only and not international or internationally affiliated? (UK, Spain, France)

On 6/29/2017 at 8:44 PM, JohnC said:

I use my BBK visa debit card in UK , they charge 100 baht per transaction, exchange rate depends on the market rate on day of withdrawal.

Mine works fine at the local supermarket in Australia :smile:

Who charges the 100 Baht fee? Thai Bank or European/USA bank? Is there just one fee or two?  Has anyone checked this out by viewing their Thai bank account on-line?

When in Thailand the Thai bank charges 220 Baht fee and the home country may also charge a fee depending on the bank.

The typical 100 baht fee is by the Thai bank...call it their foreign transaction fee.

Now the ATM you stick the card in may also charge a fee....that fee would be by the ATM owner/operator....just like how Thai bank ATMs charge a Bt220 fee for a foreign card.

It never rains but it pours.

This morning a BKK Bank ATM in a local mall retained my ATM card. It completed the transaction, a cash withdrawal, and I got the money but the card never came out despite pressing CANCEL.

I went immediately to my BKK Bank branch around the corner and they just shrugged and said it would take a week to get the card back due to all retained or stuck cards being collected by the ATM cash replenishing team who forward then to a central point. SI explained that I am leaving for Europe in five days and want an ATM card to draw on my Thai Baht account and asked for a new card. Same answer, it takes a week because new cards come from a central issuer, They said that I could have a new Be 1st Debit Card cased on Union Pay which would work in most ATMs in Europe but said that many POS retailers did not accept it.

So, I had to take a Union Pay Card but have just found my first two problems.

A hotel in BKK that I booked early this morning using the now cancelled Visa Debit Card will bounce when the hotel tries to charge it. I went to their website and it offered an EDIT facility for the card originally used to book. But, it will only take Visa/Mastercard/ American Express so I had to use my wife's Visa Debit Card which was accepted.

Next I tried to amend my AMAZON UK account Card Details. Same thing; Union Pay  is not listed!

I can apply for a Visa Debit card from BKK Bank when I return but for now it looks as if I shall be having to withdraw cash in UK to pay POS purchases.

Comments please?

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
Add content:

• 2 months later...

I have over 1 .5 million baht in CIMB Thai bank Chiang Mai , have ATM visa card.

I would like to know if I can withdraw in the UK using ATM there .

If so ,what is the daily withdrawal maximum  .  i.e  can I take it all out there. same here 30k 30k 30k 10k  daily    and the likely exchange rate and charges.   and do I have to register my intentions here.

Thanks all. .      

8 hours ago, portly said:

I have over 1 .5 million baht in CIMB Thai bank Chiang Mai , have ATM visa card.

I would like to know if I can withdraw in the UK using ATM there .

If so ,what is the daily withdrawal maximum  .  i.e  can I take it all out there. same here 30k 30k 30k 10k  daily    and the likely exchange rate and charges.   and do I have to register my intentions here.

Thanks all. .      

Best to ask at the branch of CIMB where you have the account as they all seem to differ, or possibly look at their website?