Events could make PM seek election, Prawit says

webfact

Events could make PM seek election, Prawit says
By The Nation

365e5f7db2f760a140d497328b074470.jpeg

File photo: Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan insisted he would not enter politics.

BANGKOK: -- Future circumstances could prompt Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to seek election, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said on Friday. 

Responding to a suggestion by politicians that Prayut contest an election, Prawit noted that the premier has said he would not enter politics, but might if circumstances proved compelling. It is a personal matter and up to him alone, the deputy PM said. 

Prawit said he had no idea whether he would support Prayut, his junior classmate at military school, if he chose to seek election. 

Prayut would know what’s best for him when the time came, he added.

The deputy premier insisted that he would not enter politics or help run the next government.

“If an elected government is formed, the National Council for Peace and Order would be dissolved,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319545

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-30

How clueless are these guys?

All they would do is split the Democrat vote by syphoning off the extremists.

Wherever Thaksin is, he is praying Prayuth runs just as fervently as Abhisit is praying he doesn't.

I for one hope he runs - I would love to know what Thais truly think of Prayuth, the Junta and their efforts.

What would a thorough drubbing at the polls of a military party led by Prayuth mean for the viability of a Strategic Council packed full of unwanted military men?

I certainly hope not, it would be a huge breach of faith if he did as he has constantly stated he does not want to do so. The next election has got to be for the people, not the army

3 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Wherever Thaksin is, he is praying Prayuth runs just as fervently as Abhisit is praying he doesn't.

I for one hope he runs - I would love to know what Thais truly think of Prayuth, the Junta and their efforts.

What would a thorough drubbing at the polls of a military party led by Prayuth mean for the viability of a Strategic Council packed full of unwanted military men?

it largely irrelevant.

the military has entrenched their power in their shiny new constitution.

any PM following Prayut will be well and truly hobbled.

3 hours ago, seajae said:

I certainly hope not, it would be a huge breach of faith if he did as he has constantly stated he does not want to do so. The next election has got to be for the people, not the army

Yeah, it would be their very first breach of faith.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

he would not enter politics, but might

That is as clear as charcoal.. Well done, we now have confidence in the future :clap2::whistling:

Please, someone, do something... Anything to stop this circus... 

4 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Absolutely mean nothing to them. they will just pick up their guns again,  get in their tanks and declare it all invalid and intimidate the population even longer with further restrictions on media reporting.  Peaceful demonstrations in Thailand won't work either as witnessed many times in the past that peaceful protest end up with people killed.

Only one way to kill a snake and that is cut its head off.

7 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Prayuth would not take part in an election unless it was fixed in his favour, so he is unlikely to get the slap that he deserves.

That leaves "other means".

Whichever "roadmap" they use, that is the nations destiny.

Edited by Enoon

18 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Absolutely mean nothing to them. they will just pick up their guns again,  get in their tanks and declare it all invalid and intimidate the population even longer with further restrictions on media reporting.  Peaceful demonstrations in Thailand won't work either as witnessed many times in the past that peaceful protest end up with people killed.

Only one way to kill a snake and that is cut its head off.

The snake's head goes a LOT higher than Prayut.  But yes, it likely will come to that.  One only needs to look at Thailand's past history of juntas that overstayed their welcome. 

3 hours ago, CantSpell said:

That is as clear as charcoal.. Well done, we now have confidence in the future :clap2::whistling:

Please, someone, do something... Anything to stop this circus... 

Like what ? A coup d'Ėtat from the coup d'Ėtat ???

8 hours ago, Smarter Than You said:

Do you think a Prayuth premiership post election would come with more freedom to criticise?

Tell you what, let's play some blackjack. I'll deal and decide which player gets what cards...

8 hours ago, seajae said:

Then I think you are being awfully naive.

You in turn can criticise me for being an arch cynic. We will just have to wait and see...

......if circumstances prove compelling.

Which of course they will.....just like the coup. The idiots that came out on the streets to support Suthep so as to justify the coup are so dumb they will be answering Dusit polls for a months of Sundays so that Prayuth will be

'compelled ' to throw his hat in the ring whilst rigging the election with so many constitutional fences that he will emerge triumphant.

Why bother you ask ?

Because , regardless of your parentage, nobody likes to be called illegitimate. These poor patriots need to feel the love .......even if it takes guns to force it on.

So this would be the huge breach of faith? The guy's been "breaching faith" since he said there'd be no coup -_-

21 hours ago, WhizBang said:

The snake's head goes a LOT higher than Prayut.  But yes, it likely will come to that.  One only needs to look at Thailand's past history of juntas that overstayed their welcome. 

I don,t know about the snake,s head being higher than that of Prayut, but it is definitely a LOT farther away, usually flitting around Dubai and elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I don,t know about the snake,s head being higher than that of Prayut, but it is definitely a LOT farther away, usually flitting around Dubai and elsewhere.

I don't know about distance but quite certain history of juntas do not feature Dubai. 

47 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Seriously, what are you talking about?

If he did run it would destroy his credibility, time to stand aside and let politics and all that that entails, good and bad, have another go, under the ever watchful eye of the leaders.

If he did run it would destroy his credibility, time to stand aside and let politics and all that that entails, good and bad, have another go, under the ever watchful eye of the leaders.

I rather suspect that his credibility was damaged when he failed in his (sworn) duty to the nation by willfully failing to ensure the security to allow a constitutionally mandated election could go ahead. It was further damaged when he denied that he would stage a coup before promptly staging one. It was finally holed below the waterline when after stating that he would not be Prime Minister he then appointed himself as, umh Prime Minister!