What do they use to clean a wound ? Betadine ? Is it worth going to a small local clinic ?

Hello,

When someone has to clean a wound and change the plaster daily, what to use ? Betadine ?

I am asking the name of the products used in Thailand and that we can find in drugstores.

But maybe small local clinics can do it well ? I just need to find one not too  far, and in case I cannot go, I would like to know what I should use to do it myself.

Thank you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, as cooked says.

Depends on the severity of the wound on whether you'd want to treat it yourself.

One time I was cut and had a lot of blood on a baht bus and stopped in a pharmacy and they actually administered the first aid there. Surprising. In that case I could treat at home.

But if you're asking, perhaps you've got a severe wound.

Don't want to take too many chances in the tropics. 

correct ..... depends on the severity of the wound ... 

will it heal itself  ?

will it require stitches  ?

use betadine, or dettol to kill any germs ....  cotton wool and bandage and plaster.

Don't risk not going to get it checked for the sake of a few hundred baht ...

a few baht could cost you alot more if it's severe and infection sets in ...

Deary me, I get cuts and stuff all the time and  certainly don't go to the doctor every time I get a wound. I only ever went once to a hospital for a wound and that was after nearly chain sawing a finger off. Twelve hours after it happened, I needed to finish the job.

You clean the wound first with copious amounts of sterile water, can be a saline solution. Then apply bentadine or another antiseptic. You don't use bentadine for cleaning, most good pharmacies sell bottles of sterile water for cleaning.

Kills all bacteria, fungus, viruses we have here in Thailand.

If used immediately on cut or scratch a great antiseptic.

not intended to put on large wounds or infected wounds.

Also remember betadine does kill new skin growth.

Again a disinfectant and antiseptic use on small cuts scratches , best there is .

Large wounds, deep wounds or puncture wounds go to the hospital.

Animal bites put Betadine and GO To The Hospital immediately.

Betadine is the best there is for it's intended purpose, keep a small bottle handy. 

Thank you, doctor is met already. I am asking about daily wound "maintenance" in case I am lazy to go to a clinic (also because it's boring to take a shower often with a wound and I don't want to show myself dirty anywhere 555).

Ok so standard betadine shower :-) and plaster. Nothing special.

What I always wonder is why we always cover wounds when they actually "dry" better with air flow ?

I guess its to avoid bacteria, but is it stupid to say that I like to let it dry in aircon room few minutes daily when I am at home ?

Thank you again.

So finally I started to read and of course my ideas were wrong:

http://woundcaresociety.org/do-wounds-heal-faster-when-exposed-to-air

Edited by bangkokairportlink

I had a minor operation a couple of years ago, and had to return to a well-known hospital every day for a month to clean the wound and change the dressing. They used Betadine to clean and sterilize every day. I guess it worked, since there was no further infection. I always have Betadine at home and use it for everything from insect bites to cuts and scrapes.

It's good stuff.

Edited by gjoo888

Deary me, I get cuts and stuff all the time and  certainly don't go to the doctor every time I get a wound. I only ever went once to a hospital for a wound and that was after nearly chain sawing a finger off. Twelve hours after it happened, I needed to finish the job.

Tough but stupid

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, cooked said:

Just raised pre-nanny state. I knew a Swiss farmer that broke his eg and didn't go to the doctor.

Just like a friend of mine, who had a cut after a accident with a taxi in Vietnam. He was flying back to England the next day so did nothing, thought will go to the hospital back home. Got in a come in the plane, intensive care in England and died. 

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Just like a friend of mine, who had a cut after a accident with a taxi in Vietnam. He was flying back to England the next day so did nothing, thought will go to the hospital back home. Got in a come in the plane, intensive care in England and died. 

So he didn't clean or sterilise? I'm not pretending to be a tough guy, some of try to look after problems by themselves.

I had some wounds that required daily dressing for a week or so following minor surgery at a major international hospital.

The nurse in the area, whose job was to do dressings, gave some tips on what to do, and we (the GF) did it at home after the first day.

He (the nurse) first cleaned the wound thoroughly with sterile water, then applied Betadine diluted by the same water ( full strength Betadine is very strong and not really required), lastly, before bandaging, he covered the wound with an anti-bacterial ointment (Bactex or similar).

Before the bandaging it's best to place a gauze dressing over the wound (Bactigras).

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

You clean the wound first with copious amounts of sterile water, can be a saline solution. Then apply bentadine or another antiseptic. You don't use bentadine for cleaning, most good pharmacies sell bottles of sterile water for cleaning.

I just throw the stuff on wipe affected area with cotton wool throw a bit more on then iether plaster or sterrie strip dependent on size and depth of cut.

Remember to keep your tetanus shot up-to-date, too.  You should have one every 10 years.  Tetanus bacteria is found in soil and enters the body through wounds.  It is found in all parts of the world, but is most common in warm, humid climates.  

2 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

I had a minor operation a couple of years ago, and had to return to a well-known hospital every day for a month to clean the wound and change the dressing. They used Betadine to clean and sterilize every day. I guess it worked, since there was no further infection. I always have Betadine at home and use it for everything from insect bites to cuts and scrapes.

It's good stuff.

Everyday you paid the hospital robbers just to clean your wound ?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

I had some wounds that required daily dressing for a week or so following minor surgery at a major international hospital.

The nurse in the area, whose job was to do dressings, gave some tips on what to do, and we (the GF) did it at home after the first day.

He (the nurse) first cleaned the wound thoroughly with sterile water, then applied Betadine diluted by the same water ( full strength Betadine is very strong and not really required), lastly, before bandaging, he covered the wound with an anti-bacterial ointment (Bactex or similar).

Before the bandaging it's best to place a gauze dressing over the wound (Bactigras).

Best reply of the thread ! Thank you ! This recipe seems the best, but I am not sure that any local clinic will do is so well. So I might end doing it at home !

3 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Everyday you paid the hospital robbers just to clean your wound ?

Depending on the location of the wound and the hospital, this can be a good idea.  There are just some places on your body where it's impossible to change your own dressing.

In the U.S. I had complications with a surgical wound in a place I couldn't see very well.  Someone from Visiting Nurses came to train my mother in how to change the dressing daily.  She got tired of making a cross-town trip daily and tried to train my husband, who proved to be untrainable.  Finally, we decided to train him to hold a mirror, so I could see the wound and change my own dressing.

Soap and sterile water  followed by saline soak .... local Thai dental powder works extremely well to dry and promote healing and prevent infection... can alternate bandage 2Xs daily and use honey to promote healing, directly on the wound.

If available, Calendula tincture 1:10 for cleaning, if deep wound, use as overnight compress. Can alternate with salt water soak/compress. Once healing is certain, use calendula ointment on plaster.

9 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Betadine ?

I am asking the name of the products used in Thailand and that we can find in drugstores.

Is that still an open question?

The equivalent to Betadine is this (antiseptic for wounds):

0001205__30cc.jpeg

You can get it about everywhere (often also in mom&pop shops) in different sizes and it is dirt cheap. It's the absolute first thing applied at home when someone has a wound/graze.

The label in Thai is just a transcript for "Povidone-iodine", the same basic substance as in Betadine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Povidone-iodine

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Blue wound alcohol cant remember name available at most mom an papa shops cleans wound. I always have plasters a bottle of the stuff and some sterrie strips at home. 

It is called Alcohol LPSOFF and costs about 35 baht a bottle at almost any pharmacy.