McCain has blood clot removed, will recover in Arizona next week

rooster59

McCain has blood clot removed, will recover in Arizona next week

By David Morgan

640x640 (9).jpg

U.S. Senator John McCain looks on during a news conference in Kabul, Afghanistan July 4, 2017. REUTERS/Mohammad Ismail

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senator John McCain will remain in Arizona next week to recuperate from a medical procedure that removed a 2-inch (5-cm) blood clot above his left eye, his office announced in a statement on Saturday.

It was unclear how McCain's absence might affect a crucial Senate vote on legislation to dismantle and replace Obamacare, with Republicans so divided that the absence of a single "yes" vote could doom the healthcare bill.

McCain's office was not immediately available to comment on when the lawmaker would return to Washington.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell's office also did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how the healthcare vote might be affected.

McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, was resting comfortably at home in good condition after the Friday operation, according to doctors at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix. The hospital said tissue pathology reports would be available within the next several days.

It was unclear whether McCain would be available for a key Senate vote on healthcare legislation

Surgeons removed the clot during a minimally invasive craniotomy through an incision in the 80-year-old lawmaker's eyebrow.

"Thanks to @MayoClinic for its excellent care -- I appreciate your support & look forward to getting back to work!," McCain, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a tweet late on Saturday.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

It was unclear how McCain's absence might affect a crucial Senate vote on legislation to dismantle and replace Obamacare, with Republicans so divided that the absence of a single "yes" vote could doom the healthcare bill.

Actually, it is very clear. McCain absent plus two definite no votes already from Republicans, Plus 48 democrats = FAILED BILL.

McConnell will now delay the voting on the bill, sure as eggs.

Edited by Andaman Al

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

McCain's office was not immediately available to comment on when the lawmaker would return to Washington.

Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell's office also did not immediately respond to a request for comment on how the healthcare vote might be affected.

McConnell delays vote on Senate health bill again, as McCain absence leaves GOP short of the votes needed to advance measure

There you have it. The great American uninsured will remain in limbo because a single Senator is recuperating after (probably) private surgery.

Looks like the darned swamp draining pump is broke again so I can only advise Americans to look after yourselves out there since your politicians certainly don't care.

Overall, I like McCain, and wish him well.  Politically, however, he's getting fuzzy-brained like Reagan did in his sunset years.

One the up-side, McCain is leaning to doing what's right re; Trump-Russia imbroglio - which is commendable, considering his Republican congressmates are dragging their feet.   On the down-side, he interrupted a California Senator in two different meetings when the she was asking questions during congressional inquiries.  Each time, he shut down her lines of questioning because they were getting too close to the truth.  McCain wasn't even officially on those Congressional committees, but was instead invited to take part.  For shutting down the line of questioning (which, if allowed, would have proven Trump associates were lying to shield Trump), I wish McCain would retire, and let fresher thinkers take over.   McCain should be sent out to pasture.

2 hours ago, Scott said:

The Mayo Clinic is ranked as the number one hospital in the United States.  

Yes. And the regular, insurance-denied Joe can't just walk in and ask for a blood clot to be removed.

56 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Each time, he shut down her lines of questioning because they were getting too close to the truth.  McCain wasn't even officially on those Congressional committees, but was instead invited to take part.

Maybe that's why he was invited.

I don't always agree with McCain but he's one of the few republicans that I have any respect for at all. Wishing for his good health and recovery and that after that he does the right thing for the health of the American people, and helps kill the murderous trump-not-care bill. 

Edited by Jingthing

It always amazed me that someone could be called a war hero by virtue of the fact that they were taken prisoner. Not wishing to detract from his survival in probably unpleasant surroundings, I had always though that the definition of heroic deeds was the performing of highly dangerous maneuvers, at severe personal risk, in an effort to save comrades in desperate situations.

11 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

It always amazed me that someone could be called a war hero by virtue of the fact that they were taken prisoner. Not wishing to detract from his survival in probably unpleasant surroundings, I had always though that the definition of heroic deeds was the performing of highly dangerous maneuvers, at severe personal risk, in an effort to save comrades in desperate situations.

I think the 'war hero' bit was the fact that his conduct whilst under capture was as good as it gets in terms of staying resolute towards the USA and his men. He went the extra mile to make sure his men were safe rather than himself, all witnessed and stories recounted by grateful prisoners.

He gets street cred off me for that from me, no questions.

Edited by Andaman Al

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't always agree with McCain but he's one of the few republicans that I have any respect for at all. Wishing for his good health and recovery and that after that he does the right thing for the health of the American people, and helps kill the murderous trump-not-care bill. 

McConnell would be spewing if after delaying the vote for McCain, McCain did the right thing and voted against the Bill.

25 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

You sound just like Trump in July 2015.

Do you also subscribe to the rumor that McCain, although injured, was allegedly captured by surrendered to village girls armed with AK-47's?

Edited by NanLaew

24 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

"...probably unpleasant surroundings..." you think?  Not a Hawk by any means but heroic deeds are well fulfilled under POW conditions. That said, we probably share the thught that the term, "hero" has been used to such a degree that everyne seems to qualify as a hero.

20 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I have no love lost for McCain , and I do agree that the term "hero" is thrown around too freely detracting from thase truly heroic, but your premise is wrong.        He is not termed a hero (justly or unjustly) for being taken a prisoner, he was called a hero because of the way he conducted himself while held prisoner.

What I said above was well known by Trump when he made the assertion you are now repeating .

You draw your own conclusion from that. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

McConnell would be spewing if after delaying the vote for McCain, McCain did the right thing and voted against the Bill.

It's really not at all that simple.

The vote would need to be delayed if ANY one senator was out of it.

They need every single vote.

Right now two republicans are firm nos, and about ten are on the fence, including McCain.

ONLY one more no and at least the current version of the senate bill is dead. 

McCain isn't any more important than any of the firm yeses or the ten on the fence. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I think the 'war hero' bit was the fact that his conduct whilst under capture was as good as it gets in terms of staying resolute towards the USA and his men. He went the extra mile to make sure his men were safe rather than himself, all witnessed and stories recounted by grateful prisoners.

He gets street cred off me for that from me, no questions.

John McCain's politics are not exactly to my taste either to say the least, but I wish him well. He is a class above the current snollygosters running the show in the United States. 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Right now two republicans are firm nos, and about ten are on the fence, including McCain.

ONLY one more no and at least the current version of the senate bill is dead. 

McCain isn't any more important than any of the firm yeses or the ten on the fence. 

Thanks for that synopsis. McCain's recuperation is probably giving McConnell more time to browbeat and cajole those other fence-sitters. Curiously enough, despite all the Trump 'swamp draining' rhetoric, it does sound like business as usual in Washington. Personally, I consider the current POTUS to be asleep at the wheel.

Edited by NanLaew

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes. And the regular, insurance-denied Joe can't just walk in and ask for a blood clot to be removed.

Maybe that's why he was invited.

My father had a rare blood disease.  I tried to get him into Mayo and he was refused.

7 minutes ago, Farma said:

Just saw some breaking news from his office that said he's been diagnosed with Brain Cancer

Wow.  Yes, breaking news.  Terrible news.  Let's hope for the best.  They're talking about chemo and radiation.  Yuck.  Survival rates are low.  It's the same kind of tumor that killed Ted Kennedy.

http://myfox8.com/2017/07/19/pathology-report-on-sen-john-mccain-reveals-brain-cancer/

McCain shouldn't have been re-elected last year, but Trump pulled him along with many other Republicans, which are part of the Swamp. McCain was a terrible candidate running against Obama. Many in the Swamp really do not care who wins an election because they are more interested in keeping their country club jobs and catering to the lobbyist/special interests and not the voters. McCain is part of the problem in Washington and not a solution. As a Vietnam Vet and Republican this will be McCain's last term. I do hope he has no complications from his procedure.

On 7/16/2017 at 5:52 AM, phantomfiddler said:

Jesus, you sound just like cowardly, draft-dodging Trump.  That wad of pampered cookie dough Trump on one of his best days isn't even worthy of wiping McCain's ass.  I'm no Republican (to say the least!) and while not a fan of McCain, at least he's done a modicum of speaking out against the recent madness and spinelessness in the GOP.  At any rate, at least have the decency not to refer to the five years of torturous hell that McCain endured as "survival in probably unpleasant surroundings."  I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you would've given them anything they wanted after about 5 minutes.

Screenshot 2017-07-19 17.30.52.png

Edited by Chou Anou

4 minutes ago, tomwct said:

McCain shouldn't have been re-elected last year, but Trump pulled him along with many other Republicans, which are part of the Swamp. McCain was a terrible candidate running against Obama. Many in the Swamp really do not care who wins an election because they are more interested in keeping their country club jobs and catering to the lobbyist/special interests and not the voters. McCain is part of the problem in Washington and not a solution. As a Vietnam Vet and Republican this will be McCain's last term. I do hope he has no complications from his procedure.

Do you have any use for facts at all?

Trump won Arizona by a 48.1 percent to Clinton's 44.6 percent.

McCain got 53.3 percent to his Democratic opponent's 41.2 percent.

In 2012 Romney got 53.5 percent of Arizona's vote to Obama's 44.5 percent.

11 minutes ago, tomwct said:

His health outlook is very dismal. Show a bit of empathy if you have that capacity. If not maybe just shut to #^<# up.