Video: Now you see it, now you don't - how tourist lost his phone in Pattaya

webfact

Oh for heavens sake- this happens all over the world ( it's the nature of the world we live in) . You go to a dodgy bar ( otherwise known as a knocking shop) and lose your  phone - am going to cry all night over this truly terrible crime that has happened to someone who wants to exploit the local poor population. 

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Her Brother.....maybe......:whistling:

Another possibility is the Omani guy was a tightwad or just an A hole. Didn't tip anyone while nursing one drink for several hours while trying to negotiate a ฿500 tryst. 

A decent bar with decent bar girls would advise the customer to take better care of his phone.

They might even see it happening and stop it.

Or if the punter is a <deleted>, then they and the bar might just let it happen.

Cops won't do anything unless paid. Complete twunts.

6 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

So you say.

Look at the bigger picture, girl behind bar, right in front of him, girl talking to customer, all see what's going on, like fish taking a bite of the bait, you can't be that blind, every opportunity, they will have a go, oh wait don't tell me, they are there to show you a good time for peanuts, look at the bigger picture mate, the bigger picture 

Edited by 4MyEgo

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Now while the Omani guy is dumb for leaving his phone on the bar, rather than keeping it in his pocket, why is the thief able to wander about selling fake goods? Every bar in town gets them every night. If the cops arrested them and seized the fake gear, the practice would soon stop, we could have a beer without being continuously hassled and the opportunities for theft like this would cease at the same time. Cops obviously being paid to turn a blind eye.

good old fashioned bar practice.  My dad owned a lounge.  As a kid it always amazed me as people sat down, put their cigs, lighters, car keys etc. on the bar "reserving their spot I guess".  Then over the years, as personal electronics came out, I remember when people were showing off their new cell phones back in the 90s.  Then lately as smart phones came out which many people carry in their hands or sticking out of their pockets, those quickly go on the bar top.  Well, to each his own.

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Now while the Omani guy is dumb for leaving his phone on the bar, rather than keeping it in his pocket, why is the thief able to wander about selling fake goods? Every bar in town gets them every night. If the cops arrested them and seized the fake gear, the practice would soon stop, we could have a beer without being continuously hassled and the opportunities for theft like this would cease at the same time. Cops obviously being paid to turn a blind eye.

Your Naive If they stopped  this sort of theft it would just pop up in another form 

19 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what i hate about Pattaya you get a stream of sellers one after another coming into the bars and pestering you, dont get that in Bangkok.

You so right! just spent a forced 3 months in Pattaya (long story) and the endless stream of hassle especially in low season as they hit you 3 times as much, I am amused however by  the Que of Indian watch sellers sometimes more than 10 in 30 mins each one believing their dud fake is better than all the other dud fakes . God I hate that dump!..unless of course Im up for a dirty weekend..........  :passifier:

Edited by InMyShadow

It occurs to me that since most of these types of phones have accelerometers and such in them, you could easily put it out as bait, rigged to beep and wail very loudly and flash it's light very and brightly if the thing were moved.  Catch the guy in the act?

It's not just Pattaya...
I brushed past a ladyboy in Bangkok a couple years ago as I was leaving the Sky train station... I had my phone on the Sky train but 5 minutes later down on the street it was gone...
The ladyboy being the only person that come close to me in the previous 5 minutes she must have got it from my top pocket as she brushed past....
I could not believe how easy it was done... very skillful pick pocket.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Maybe i'm missing a trick here but selling fake watches is illigal?

Of course not, if it were, they would have to close one-third of MBK in Bangkok :cheesy:      -   these are not Counterfeit Watches - They are "Authorized Replicas" so not exactly counterfeit - as told to me by a US Customs Agent in Bangkok some years ago.........of course, he said that with tongue in cheek  then said "....and if you believe that, I have a bridge in the Sahara I will sell you."  How they get around the Copyright law's is, they are not 'exact' copies with every detail exactly like the original.......so technically not Counterfeit.

I too wonder how it was so easy for him to do this with so many people even looking at him, this loos like "Training Film" showing you how they can easily steal your stuff.................

Edited by TunnelRat69

Another possibility is the Omani guy was a tightwad or just an A hole. Didn't tip anyone while nursing one drink for several hours while trying to negotiate a ฿500 tryst. 

Ehh what's that got to do with the watch seller anyway and not to mention you are stereotyping

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Look at the bigger picture, girl behind bar, right in front of him, girl talking to customer, all see what's going on, like fish taking a bite of the bait, you can't be that blind, every opportunity, they will have a go, oh wait don't tell me, they are there to show you a good time for peanuts, look at the bigger picture mate, the bigger picture 

Nonsense

I read years ago about this going on at outdoor cafes with tourists, I believe in Italy.

One or two young guys would approach a table of tourists. I don't recall the ruse - perhaps just to ask them some questions.

Meanwhile they would have a newspaper in hand, and lean on the table and cover a cell phone with the paper.

Then say "Bye" and take off before anyone noticed that the phone was gone.

5 hours ago, juice777 said:

Ehh what's that got to do with the watch seller anyway and not to mention you are stereotyping

Not stereotyping anyone can be a cheap charlie. When I used to drink I have seen many people get scammed, when the people were pleasant others would tend to intervene, when they were a$$*s others would have no problem looking the other way.  kharma perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...