Some tourist visa holders being asked to show 20,000 baht in CASH when entering Thailand

webfact

This 20k is just a BS reason to deny people entry. Friend of mine has just been in the DM detention center and subsequently been deported on a valid tourist visa and he DID have the "required" 20k.....

They know most people don't carry 20k around and don't allow you to go to the ATM and showing overseas funds is not sufficient either, so that makes their case easy. But when you do have it, they still can throw you out, telling you to get a non-immigrant visa next time.

So meeting this 20k requirement will not save you when you're stringing too many TV's or visa exempts along............

Was this exemption or actual tourist visa?

Sounds odd, always been luck of the draw with the officer and how you behave. Sounds like he said something wrong and this can happen to anyone, anytime, 20k or not.

Asking tourists to show they have the means to support themselves is fair enough. I have read of reports though when a person without the cash has been refused the opportunity to go to the ATM to withdraw the required monies. That is utterly wrong.

Agreed ! Should be allowed to access atm..
I Bet the officer doesnt have 20 k on him!!

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, garvin123g said:

Agreed ! Should be allowed to access atm..

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

This is hilarious!

How many immigration officers would have 20k in their pockets? For what?

Is an IO = a tourist?

Would an IO also need to have a passport and a visa?

WOW! What thinking!! What tourists!!!

EDIT

Should anyone be surprised that the laws are tightening?

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1

Oh yes, Thailand's doing a wonderful job of destroying the tourist industry and anyone who's spending money in Thailand, i just wonder how long it's going to last before the next punters in the seat......... Looking on the bright side though, when it finally dawns on them that nobody wants to come to Thailand anymore, they might get their act together and stop closing the place down......... And remember, Thailand gives nothing in return for all the money spent by tourists and long termers........ Nothing........only an increasing level of BS ........ Both feet at once, good shooting ! 

• Like 1

This article refers mainly to land entries on multiple occasions . How many

"tourists" have multiple land border entries in a year?

The question answers itself.They are more than entitled to ask questions.

Love the folks with their nose out of joint here.......Go check requirements for Thais into your home country.

That's different  How  ???

7 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Go check requirements for Thais into your home country.

That's different  How  ???

Because they can apply for a passport after a few years stay in my country, can work in any job category they like, same as locals, for extremely high salaries, buy land, vote, have first world facilities, rights, etc.  More to the point all the questions are asked when applying for the visa so there are no last minute annoyances airside in the airport with no access allowed to an ATM, and a risk of being turned around and flown back home just because you don't have a certain amount of physical cash on your person.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Oh yes, Thailand's doing a wonderful job of destroying the tourist industry

This is pure, unadulterated,  hyperbolic nonsense  but I am sure you will inform us when Tourist arrivals are measured in 100's as opposed to Millions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I was responding to your post which is misleading .

It doesn't really matter in this case because the thread is NOT about 3, 6 or 9 month METV, NOR is it about married or retirement extensions, but about people who are not really tourists using 30 day entries and 30 day tourists visas for a lot of entries to Thailand per year. They are the ones complaining about having to show 20,000 thb on entry to Thailand.

Well said sir!

There is too much obfuscation in this thread.  People do not get their pockets picked because they are carrying (so called) large amounts of cash.  They get their pockets picked because they do not take sensible precautions. These people make airports a pick pockets paradise and this is nothing to do with Thai Immigration.

Why don't they target bus loads of Chinese tourists? Because immigration know they are tourists and not people trying to live (and perhaps work) in Thailand full time.

The bits about taxi drivers really lost me.

Every country has its own laws and customs.  You don't have to like them, but if you live there obey and follow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

Last year my mate ( a Pom) moved from Indonesia where he had been working back to the Old Dart. Took his Indo wife with him. You never saw such a <deleted>-storm of bureaucracy and legalese in your life. Every time he cleared an obstacle, they seemed to put two or three in his path.

Dare I say, welcomed with open arms, and where they give you money  and a house for doing so is a tad exaggerated?

It was meant as a rather tongue in cheek reply to a previous comment.  :wink:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

And who are the people most likely to have 20k in cash in nice new crisp 1000 baht notes? The very people they're trying to get rid of. 

Well, until they change the rules again. 

Well if they have got the cash they are less likely to have a problem.

Rule have not changed; only enforcement.  Enforcement powers are a tool which can be used if necessary.  Authorities have discretion as to when to use them.  Clearly immigration have decided it is time to deal with people who break or circumvent Thai laws.

No problem there.

• Like 2

Because they can apply for a passport after a few years stay in my country, can work in any job category they like, same as locals, for extremely high salaries, buy land, vote, have first world facilities, rights, etc.  More to the point all the questions are asked when applying for the visa so there are no last minute annoyances airside in the airport with no access allowed to an ATM, and a risk of being turned around and flown back home just because you don't have a certain amount of physical cash on your person.

Rather an oversimplification! Thais can't get visas to retire to western countries or get work permits. And it's far more difficult for them to get tourist visas.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, coulson said:

Was this exemption or actual tourist visa?

Sounds odd, always been luck of the draw with the officer and how you behave. Sounds like he said something wrong and this can happen to anyone, anytime, 20k or not.

Yes actual tourist visa

He doesn't need to have it.

I went to the ATM in the village this morning and drew out 20,000 baht to pay bills etc.

On the way home, nobody mugged me, we haven't locked or even shut the front gate for a few years and if I leave the money in a drawer it will still be there in a week.

Where do you live?
:):)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lyskamm said:

Thanks so much!

PS

Don't try Vietnamese Dong, you can't change it coz no-one wants it and you'll be paying for excess baggage to carry it. It's nearly 14,000,000 .

?

For serious posters the above is a joke.

Edited by overherebc

45 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

Well if they have got the cash they are less likely to have a problem.

Rule have not changed; only enforcement.  Enforcement powers are a tool which can be used if necessary.  Authorities have discretion as to when to use them.  Clearly immigration have decided it is time to deal with people who break or circumvent Thai laws.

No problem there.

I'm sure they can muster up 20k to have on them for the day.

If immigration are serious about cracking down, send the message onto the embassies and consulates to stop issuing visas to people with too many. It gives people the impression that entering will be no problem. It will save a lot of time and hassle having to go through this ridiculous charade of having to show 20k like that really proves anything. 20k is not a lot of money, but it's too much money for most people to be simply carrying on their person. 

Again, genuine tourists get caught up in all this nonsense and for what? 'Cos people in their paid positions aren't doing their jobs properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Rather an oversimplification! Thais can't get visas to retire to western countries or get work permits. And it's far more difficult for them to get tourist visas.

The issues in this thread don't happen to foreigners on retirement or with work permits. Once a tourist visa is granted Thais aren't then told to present X amount of cash on arrival without ATM access. 

Edited by jspill

The 20,000 Baht may well still be in affect, but it is hopelessly archaic, being written before everyone had cash cards, and Internet banking. I would not carry that amount on me in Thailand unless I was going directly from Bank to pay a bill, or to buy something such as this MacBook ... 30,000+ 

If the authorities can eliminate muggers and pickpockets from the population, then ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

The 20,000 Baht may well still be in affect, but it is hopelessly archaic, being written before everyone had cash cards, and Internet banking. I would not carry that amount on me in Thailand unless I was going directly from Bank to pay a bill, or to buy something such as this MacBook ... 30,000+ 

If the authorities can eliminate muggers and pickpockets from the population, then ok.

Enjoy your macbook... Great piece of engineering.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 0:25 PM, midas said:

I see nothing onerous about this whatsoever.

I mean just based on living a very modest lifestyle without any extravagance- I still can't see how any genuine tourist can make 20,000 baht last for more than a couple of weeks?:blink:

So, does one expect a tourist to carry in cash, enough money for their entire stay?.....What are ATMs for?

2 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Yes I did that once and never worked here. Plus many more long Trips after The big one around sout East Asia. To say no genuine Tourist won't Be affected by this is BS . And now I have been here for 3 years and still don't work here. If they don't want us here don't give us visas that's fair enough in my opinion. But all this denying people after you have got the correct Visa without proof is nothing short of Evil. I can't imagine how I would have felt if accused of working here and put in a detention cell when I thought I was going on holiday. THEY SHOULD BE DINENED WHEN APPLYING FOR THERE VISA. That happen to me once in London the guy just said go for 30 days instead. Still a hassle but at least I didn't end up in what I would consider hell for no good reason. Also in 17 years I only herd about this 20000 rule about a year ago they don't tell you when you apply for your visa. And saying it's OK because it's a law is just ridiculous if they don't tell you when you apply for your visa or after you get it. Especially when it proves zero and the amount of money is tiny for 3 months but quite a lot to carry in cash. Let's face it we all know why most people immigration officers and Thai border members who have got it in for people who say here on back to back Tourist Visas (who are not working) is probably jealousy or snobbery.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's not as though they are hiding the requirement for 20,000 to obtain a TrV.
This came up when I googled "requirements for tourist visa in Thailand"
Seems to me all this talk about the modern age etc is just hokum as apparently all the "switched on" people can't use google, LOL.

Documents required:
  • Passport or travel document with a validity not less than 6 months.
  • Visa application form (filled out)
  • One(1) recent 4x6cm. photograph of the applicant.
  • Round-trip air ticket or e-ticket (paid in full)
  • Proof of financial means (20,000 baht per person/40,000 baht per family)

Tourist Visa in Thailand | ThaiEmbassy.com

www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-tourist-visa.php
  • Like 1