Will I be required to serve military service?

cotton23

On 24/07/2017 at 4:10 PM, chilli42 said:

I am assuming your birth was recorded in Thailand.  If you return, first thing you must do is get a Thai ID card ... by law you must have.  Don't worry about showing up for the military.  You are off the radar.  Nothing here is sophisticated enough to connect you to anything.  Simply don't register for the draft and they won't bother you.  Would only be an issue if you want to work in some government capacity.  Really a non issue for you.

To get a Thai ID card you must be registered in a blue Tabien Baan. The list of males eligible for conscription is created using the blue Tabien Baan database.

As such, by getting a Thai ID card (and therefore regustering in a blue Tabien Baan) you are automatically registering yourself for conscription.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:17 PM, p_brownstone said:

This is not at all what I am talking about.

In your earlier Post you wrote:

Ask your mother, if she recorded you in the House Register (your mother certainly knows what it is - the Thai writing would be ทะเบียนบ้าน); if yes, then your citizenship is still active and live - otherwise it expired and there is no problem.

However I absolutely contend that there is no way Thai Citizenship can "expire", regardless of whether or not he / she is listed on the Tabian Baan.

That said, I do concur with your point about children born to one Thai parent before 1991; my own daughter was born in 1983, mother Thai and I, British, was a Permanent Resident which, at that time, entitled my daughter to Thai Nationality. Unfortunately with all the excitement of the birth etc. we let the hospital arrange the Birth Certificate without checking and since they did not know I was a PR, I was just a Farang Father in their eyes - the Birth Certificate clearly stated "ไม่ได้สัญชาติไทย" - "Not entitled to Thai Citizenship".

It took several weeks of work with various Government Agencies to get the Birth Certificate amended to confirm that she was indeed entitled to claim Thai Citizenship - which she holds to this day together with both Thai and British Passports.

Patrick

You're correct; it all depends on the Thai birth certificate (which he cannot read most likely). If he is in the House Register (which is possible only if he was born as "Thai") then he's OK. Otherwise he would have to resort back to his birth certificate. But without registration in the House Register he would be not recorded anywhere, i.e. no military draft to be expected. 

Like you, I had the very same problem with my daughter's entitlement to Thai citizenship in 1996. The birth certificate said initially "ไม่ได้สัญชาติไทย", because we gave our children a first, a middle and obviously my last name. The middle name was not heard of by the Amphur hence they declared her automatically as "Non-Thai".
Took some intervention and paper proof (the Arrival/Departure Card has "middle name" shown also in Thai as "
ชื่อกลาง") which is issued by the same Ministry.