Tourist visa rejected could it be racism?

METV's which you mentioned you had were intended for and I thought can only be gotten by people in their home countries.   You seem to indicate you haven't gone home much and just went from country to country.  In this day and age where many people do have money and means, it still can seem odd to immigration that you never went home, or don't seem to go home to work, etc.  You may look to them like an itinerant worker, or you may not have given very clear or concise answers to the questions you were asked.  Just how do you support yourself?  What were you doing in those other countries? 

"I had been living in Thailand and had gotten a multiple tourist visa. "

You were abusing tourist visas, and the IO(s) was/were able to suss that:  

"When I flew in BKK over the weekend the immigration officers asked me a bunch of questions implying that I was living in Thailand"

Game, set, match.   Nothing to do with race; you just didn't hear what you wanted to hear.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

I will then say I had experiences with dating and with taxi drivers in my time in Thailand to get the feeling there is some racism in Thailand and I believe that extends to immigration officials. I am just not sure what else can explain the reason I was denied entry. The immigration officials were asking many questions hinting towards working here or why here  I was here so long  I am a pro trump american so its not like I am trying to play the victim card but I honestly do not know what else to think.

Well now you made the slip.  Do you really think they knew you were a pro trump american or that had anything to do with things

i have had to attend court in thailand this year and again in october for the third time, the last time i entered about six weeks ago i was looked at closely as came in that time on a visa exempt the officer asked me my reasons for coming to the kingdom and after some time let me in, i only stayed 3 weeks and left. this time i have a two month visa and a letter from the court am now worried that i will be denied entry . i did not want to come back but the judge said i had to appear and apologised to me for the inconvenience. if i am denied entry who holds sway the immigration department or the courts in thailand 

late last year and extending into this year i had a six month multiple entry visa.

Edited by heybuz
more info

11 minutes ago, heybuz said:

i have had to attend court in thailand this year and again in october for the third time, the last time i entered about six weeks ago i was looked at closely as came in that time on a visa exempt the officer asked me my reasons for coming to the kingdom and after some time let me in, i only stayed 3 weeks and left. this time i have a two month visa and a letter from the court am now worried that i will be denied entry . i did not want to come back but the judge said i had to appear and apologised to me for the inconvenience. if i am denied entry who holds sway the immigration department or the courts in thailand 

late last year and extending into this year i had a six month multiple entry visa.

"who holds sway the immigration department or the courts in Thailand "

Neither, actually.

7 hours ago, lkv said:

I'm not doubting that people get grilled at a certain numbers of visa exempt entries or some getting rejected to prove a point perhaps.

This has made it to the UK papers. The way it has been reported though has made them to back off about the 20K requirement. They don't want to actually scare genuine tourists off.

But this has become a drama extended to all sorts of legally issued visas (including SETV), and let's just say, being polite here, that I am skeptical about some of those reports.

I personally know 4 people that were denied, including the Ed visa guy with 25k 

• Like 1

Some ridiculous nitpickery over the OP using the word 'living', that just means existing. He's allowed to use the METV for 9 months if it's designed to allow that length of time for him to exist here.

There's no visa abuse here. Immigration are concerned with people working illegally, not people using one visa for the maximum allotted time. The issue isn't 'living' whatever that means.

People show Thai bank books at consulates as proof of funds when applying for visas, and condo rent contracts... they aren't told oh you look like you're 'living' here because you have a bank account and live in a condo.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jspill said:

I personally know 4 people that were denied, including the Ed visa guy with 25k 

Spill break down the demographics of these 4 lads for us? 

I noted one lad in IDC was some kind of fighter and had a bit of an online showreel.  Interested to know the commonalities of the 4 guys you know?

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Spill break down the demographics of these 4 lads for us? 

I noted one lad in IDC was some kind of fighter and had a bit of an online showreel.  Interested to know the commonalities of the 4 guys you know?

All in their 20s

US, French, German, white

One Asian, Hong Kong

12 hours ago, lkv said:

You should read some of "I got denied entry" posts from 2014. I was looking at one and it was similarly worded to one I have seen recently. I will not divulge the specifics, but I do have strong reasons to believe they were written by the same person. Now and back in 2014. Different usernames obviously.

Now some have started having more posts (around 30), to create the impression of genuine posts.

Then, there are some with a high number of posts that have always supported paid options, threatening us that "the time has come". 

Loads of misinformation here, getting harder to navigate to the truth, but we are getting there.

Oh, do people really have that much free time on their hands, and pick this form of entertainment to get their rocks off??

• Like 1

I have never heard of racism being given  as a reason for a refused airport entry and suggest the IO  had other reasons to refuse entry .

I know they can be fussy at times but they still have to have a valid reason or what they consider to be a valid reason to detain and deport

a US passport holder and we have not been given the 'official reason ' for refusal

36 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
46 minutes ago, the guest said:

They don't have to give you a reason. TIT

They always stamp the official-reason in the passport of the person rejected.  Whether that reason has any relation to reality is a separate question.

I would qualify this just a bit. According to procedure, they are supposed to provide the reason(s) for denial in writing, as well a stamp in your passport. However, invariably at land borders, and sometimes at airports, proper procedure is not followed (sometimes to the benefit of those denied, I might add).

• Like 1

I am the OP of this thread. Let me clarify the specific reason I was denied by immigration was that I didn't have the 20k in funds. But that was bullshit because I had that much baht on my person.

My whole point in bringing this experience to Thai visa is just to share my experience, and given how I was treated I surmised that I was being discriminated against based on my race, because I have other friends of European decent with an American passport (same passport as me!) who have been in Thailand for like 18 months consecutively on multiple tourist visas. This is why I think the immigration official was discriminating because she had no right to deny me entry into Thailand when other guys I know have been in Thailand longer on tourists visas. 

Have any of you spent time in  the inside of a detention center? It was a horrible experience. 

194385.jpg

• Like 1

You might be right.

You might be wrong.

No way to ever know for sure.

Another case in point that sovereign nations always have the power to enforce their immigration policies based on any criteria they like, and "fairness" has very little to do with it. 

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a off topic political comment

If anyone has ever been in the search and detention area at lets say LAX, it is full of middle eastern, asians, etc.  Not many white folks.

I think it is more profiling then racism attitudes.

Yes, who knows but I think people from certain areas of the world now are looked at more closely.

Maybe it is all a good thing considering, maybe.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califoniadreaming82 said:

My whole point in bringing this experience to Thai visa is just to share my experience, and given how I was treated I surmised that I was being discriminated against based on my race, because I have other friends of European decent with an American passport (same passport as me!) who have been in Thailand for like 18 months consecutively on multiple tourist visas.

Other folks for years, actually - but sometimes they, too, get put in detention - if they didn't find out that entering at airports with a longer-stay history on TR/ED/Exempt is now like playing roulette.  Just last week - a Dutch and a German went through what you did - more others before - almost all Euros.  Some were in there even longer than you were.
We are ALL foreigners, to them - and because some of us stay longer, this clique wants us out.

Edited by JackThompson