Faster Thai immigration handling for foreign travellers

webfact

Faster immigration handling for foreign travellers

Travel log 

cb7c47daef554ce787d197972940b43f.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Welcome news for international travellers as the Immigration Department installs an automatic passport checking system

The Thai Immigration Bureau is planning to install an automatic passport checking system for foreign travellers.

The first group to use the new system will be those with frequent visits, such as travellers from Hong Kong and Singapore, Pol Lt Gen Nathathorn Prousoontorn, Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau, said in Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (Tceb)’s newsletter.

The programme would later be expanded to countries with no-visa requirement such as Australia, New Zealand and some European countries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30321936

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-31

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Will they have a function where you can flash them your 20k baht in cash?

....and your travel insurance in german?

Wait, perhaps you can buy the travel insurance in the same machine???

Edited by chopin2

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

They'll install 10 machines but just open 2 to use at any one time, save electric...

After a short time some of the machines will need maintenance and fail to work, but nothing will be done. Just like the Tsunami warning system, the CCTV cameras in Bangkok, Airport Link and .......................

42 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You would think that the first group to use the new machines would be those on long visas or visa extensions, as they are the ones that Immigration have the most information about.

remember a couple years back when the US started to have these machines available to Foreigners. Those work if you enter on a visa exempt entry, but not necessarily if you have a visa. As strange as that sounds. 

Machines in Europe are only for European PPT holders. 

So I would understand if similar is applied here. but agree with all that it is a good step in the right direction. Lines can be annoying. 

Next the PCS coupled with an ATM?

Automatically checks your passport, prints the arrival stamp, takes 20K overstay deposit and an additional 20K for travel insurance from your bank account. 

Surely, this will increase tourist arrivals!

4 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Don't need to waste any resources, just ask Singapore how they do it and all travelers are happy because their systems are designed & planned with BRAINS!

The problem is these systems require trained personnel to use them, maintain them and upgrade them. A computer in the hands of an idiot is worthless!

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

This will only benefit short time visitors, but should definitely speed up the immigration queues.

If they install passport readers for everyone on a visa waiver -- even if just to do all the "work" take the picture, and give them a receipt with a code (route based on whether a follow-up is needed)... Then did the same thing for exit processing... You would be able to free up a lot of immigration officers to handle the current queues faster.

Seems to be inconsistent with recent reports of tightening entry conditions, eg  equivalent of 20,000 baht cash required, and proof of hotel booking/return airfare booking to get get 30 day Visa. Got in last time in April 2017 by the skin of my teeth, after grilling by Immigration Officer about why I entered the kingdom "so often", ie 3 times per year .....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Immigration Bureau is planning to install an automatic passport checking system for foreign travellers.

The first group to use the new system will be those with frequent visits, such as travellers from Hong Kong and Singapore

How about starting off with the whole ASEAN! 

1 hour ago, recycler said:

Waited 2 hours and 30 minutes at DMK coming back from Siem Reap Thursday evening and the queue was even linger when we left, it's an utter disgrace.

Late last year I came back from Singapore. Immigration at DMK and the short taxi ride home took longer than the flight...

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

You would think that the first group to use the new machines would be those on long visas or visa extensions, as they are the ones that Immigration have the most information about.

That would logically assume the electronic gates would be able to read and write information into the existing immigration database...

Visa Exempts are the easiest to process. On entry record all data, check against watchlist and admit if not banned, etc. On exit compare data and if it matches and is within 30 days, allow to exit.

I know for certain that the main immigration database and the 90 day reporting database are two completely separate entities. Updates on one system are not carried across to the other system. On this basis I suspect the electronic gates will not be integrated into the existing system, which would mean those with extensions of stay would still have to use manned counters.

However, if you took all of the Visa Exempts out of the queue for manned immigration counters then things would get considerably better for those on 90 day or 1 year extensions.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Only slightly connected to the topic: I remember reading that over 70s passengers are given preferential treatment at Emigration but do not know how to avail myself of this service.  Any assistance please?

I don't know more than what is in this link:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1856-suvarnabhumi-priority-lane-services

1 hour ago, OldPedro said:

Seems to be inconsistent with recent reports of tightening entry conditions, eg  equivalent of 20,000 baht cash required, and proof of hotel booking/return airfare booking to get get 30 day Visa. Got in last time in April 2017 by the skin of my teeth, after grilling by Immigration Officer about why I entered the kingdom "so often", ie 3 times per year .....

very good , you not one of their quality tourist """

If these machines are the same as the once used for Thai Passports and Permanent resident holders....get yourself prepared for some hassle. I am entitled to use these machines with my permanent resident status and it is horrible. Usually you have to scan your passport 2 or 3 times and start the process allover again. The ladies "helping out" with stupid farang who is not able to do it are just completing the mess. 

I am using theses scanners only when the queue at the counters is really, really long.

3 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The whole system need to be changed, just copy Singapore's or Malaysia's.

The average processing time for Malay Immigration is less than 30 seconds.

I've timed them on a few occasions.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Only slightly connected to the topic: I remember reading that over 70s passengers are given preferential treatment at Emigration but do not know how to avail myself of this service.  Any assistance please?

On arriving and approaching the passport check go to the far right hand side.  I just go over there and tell them "Old Mans Check in" and am directed to a line with usually on one in it.  I have one time unfortunately got behind a family that was AFU and it took a bit of time but this is the quick way.