Riot police ready for Yingluck supporters

webfact

Riot police ready for Yingluck supporters

By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

7e919722241be27677cfcc632e5294ad-atwb.jpg

Red-shirt leader warns unnamed group could cause trouble in crowd outside supreme court.

BANGKOK: -- HUNDREDS OF riot police will be deployed at the Supreme Court today as a large number of supporters are expected to show their support for former prime minister Yingluck Shinwatra, who will deliver her closing remarks in her trial related to the controversial rice-pledging scheme.

However, authorities do not have any other special security measures planned and the area in front of the court will not be designated as a controlled space, Army chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart said yesterday.

He added that the court had not requested special security measures and police in charge of both traffic and security would enforce normal laws to keep order in front of the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders. 

Police would deploy hundreds of riot control police, including female officers, to guard the area, Deputy Commander of Metropolitan Police Panurat Lakboun said.

Metropolitan Police yesterday called a special meeting to assess preparations to deal with the crowds of Yingluck supporters. 

Panurat said the former premier’s supporters had previously behaved and cooperated with police, who expected the same turnout as when she last appeared on July 21.

Meanwhile, red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn yesterday warned of possible interference by a group that intended to cause trouble.

“I don’t want to call it a third party. But it is possible that someone with malicious intent towards both Yingluck and the country might intrude and cause mayhem,” he told The Nation. “And you know it could even affect or extend the road map,” he added, referring to the junta’s “road map to democracy”.

Weng added that Yingluck’s supporters wanted to back their “beloved” politician and to offer her flowers, but they did not intend to pressure the court.

Pheu Thai Party politicians have also said they are ready to stand by Yingluck in her final appearance today. Wanata Muangsook, a former minister with multiple portfolios, wrote on Facebook yesterday that he would be at the court today along with his daughter Weerada Muangsook to give Yingluck moral support, despite the government’s warning that he should not attend.

Chaturon Chaisang, another key member of the Pheu Thai Party, wrote on Facebook on Sunday that he would also join people at the court today to support Yingluck.

He said he anticipated that the crowd of supporters would be larger than that which attended the final hearing in the case. But like Weng, Chaturon said he believed Yingluck’s supporters did not intend to pressure police, but only wanted to show their support.

“Any warning will unlikely affect people’s determination to be at the court [today] and on August 25, when the verdict is to be delivered, because it regards people’s free will and is not unlawful,” Chaturon said.

Yingluck is facing charges of negligence for allegedly failing to prevent corruption and irregularities in a rice-pledging scheme that was carried out while she was in office.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30322378

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-01

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

what is so funny about that?

It's funny because I believe the red shirts have already heeded the warning.

I think the media is making a mound out of a mole hill.

They are making it out to sound like a revolution or something ....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn yesterday warned of possible interference by a group that intended to cause trouble.

“I don’t want to call it a third party. But it is possible that someone with malicious intent towards both Yingluck and the country might intrude and cause mayhem,” he told The Nation. “And you know it could even affect or extend the road map,” he added, referring to the junta’s “road map to democracy”.

Hilarious, coming from Weng. "I don't want to call it a third party", in the interest of accuracy, I suggest you don't.

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, they know the red shirts reputation and they know the junta's. 

Both as bad as each other. 

The Junta's requirement in this is to keep the country's security and stability in tack.

The red shirts have a violent reputation as everyone well knows hence the prior warnings and the extra police.

Just now, steven100 said:

The Junta's requirement in this is to keep the country's security and stability in tack.

The red shirts have a violent reputation as everyone well knows hence the prior warnings and the extra police.

And for how long will they keep the country in tack ha ha?

Time for them to all retire and let some new blood onto the scenes. Old conservative men don't make peoples' leaders. Quite the opposite. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

I don’t want to call it a third party. But it is possible that someone with malicious intent towards both Yingluck and the country might intrude and cause mayhem,” he told The Nation. “And you know it could even affect or extend the road map,” he added, referring to the junta’s “road map to democracy”.

my prediction; this opportunity is just too good to pass up for the current rulers

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Kind of sounds like the result of the trial is already known doesn't it ?

They already decided she is guilty, probably know the sentence, and have started seizing her money/assets.

Whether she was right or wrong, she deserves a fair trial and an appropriate penalty if found guilty.

But we all know this isn't going to happen. I'm sure she knows too, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

i dont believe the riot police will be effective here based on their performance the past decade; and if the army is not waiting in the wings, then i think they are just stupid; we have seen rabble rousers planted in crowds before; people paid to escalate confrontations; would only take a few of them and the reds get Exactly what they want

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

Hilarious, coming from Weng. "I don't want to call it a third party", in the interest of accuracy, I suggest you don't.

Sounds a lot like Charlem speaking about a third party when it actually were his own supporters who did the misdeeds.

Guess Weng, fears that some elements in his own bunch will start trouble and wants to deflect the blame already. 

7 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

i dont believe the riot police will be effective here based on their performance the past decade; and if the army is not waiting in the wings, then i think they are just stupid; we have seen rabble rousers planted in crowds before; people paid to escalate confrontations; would only take a few of them and the reds get Exactly what they want

I am sure they would not mind a few more martyrs for the cause, its happened before you know put some black shirts in a crowd let them fire at the army and voila martyrs. 

Yingluck's supporters show her solidarity in front of Supreme Court

By Kasamakorn Chanwanpen 
The Nation

d6953c2650cd4ee70348ca3b20d34cb8-atwb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of supporters for former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra gradually gathered in front of the Supreme Court to give her moral support Tuesday morning when she will deliver her closing remarks in her trial related to the controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Yingluck is facing charges of negligence for allegedly failing to prevent corruption and irregularities in the rice-pledging scheme that was carried out while she was in office.

42e849526905b2a36854c6f649b42e50-atwb.jpg

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders is set to deliver a verdict in the case on August 25.

The supporters arrived at the court early today morning at around 5am. 

Key Pheu Thai party leaders also went to the court namely Sudarat Keyuraphan, Watana Muangsook, Surapog Tovichakchaikul, Nuttawut Saikuar, Tida Tavornseth and Weng Tojirakarn.

Yingluck is set to arrive at the court around 8.30am. Her lawyer said her closing statement has 20 pages and cover six aspects.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322420

thenation_logo.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I wonder if Suthep and his mates will turn up to represent the Junta

So far Suthep (not a nice person xenophobic and all) and his mates have not sought confrontation, the reds however in the past sought up and bommed shot and killed yellows. Unless you can show me some links where yellow went to red meetings to confront them. I can give you Trad, the recent shutdown of BKK where the yellows were a stationary target of the reds. I can't remember (but maybe you can) instances of the reds having a demonstration somewhere with yellows showing up and committing violence. 

Edited by robblok

Just now, Eric Loh said:

More likely Issara Buddha as the Supreme Court was near to his previous 7 months stomping grounds.  

Eric, you seem to know a lot.. could you give me an example of a place the reds were mobilized and stationary where the yellows went out to confront them ? I can only think of places like Trad where the yellows were and got shot and bombed. As you probably know more about yellow crimes then I do I am sure you can name a few. 

30 minutes ago, rtco said:

Hey Steven100 are you getting paid by the Junta? It sounds like based on your'e continuous pro-Junta diatribe. A suggestion ... take off the rose tinted glasses and maybe you will see the truth.

the truth is that Thailand is alot more stable with someone in charge who can control fighting parties as has been witnessed in the past ....  quite simple really. :coffee1:

She is heroic and tremendously calm and resilient and history will look back at this and weep. I have great respect for her and all the Thais I know are aghast at her treatment and they all wish her well against this tirade of hate from the Junta (and it seems from a few ill-informed TVF posters who really do think this is about RICE :cheesy:  ).  

Edited by binjalin

Crowd control police stationed overnight at Supreme Court before ex-PMs appear

By Kasamakorn Chanwanpen 
The Nation

cfb9b6bf228d3d6b170bd07842833bd4.jpg

Police were stationed at the Supreme Court on Monday night ahead of two court cases involving high profile figures, including three former prime ministers.

A police source told The Nation that officers were ordered to stay overnight at the court on Monday and Tuesday. 

Hundreds of crowd control police from the Metropolitan Police Bureau were deployed at the Supreme Court to keep peace and order. Fences were installed in front of the court’s entrance.

On Tuesday at 9.30am, the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders will hear a closing statement from former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra in her trial linked to the the controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Yingluck was charged with negligence for allegedly failing to prevent corruption and irregularities in the scheme carried out while she was in office.

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders is set to deliver a verdict in the case on August 25.

On Wednesday, it is scheduled to deliver its verdict in a case involving two former PMs and two former police chiefs for alleged malfeasance after being held responsible for the fatal police crackdown on yellow-shirt protesters on October 7, 2008.

The four defendants are former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, his then deputy Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who is also an ex-PM, former national police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan, and former Metropolitan Police commander Lt-General Suchart Muenkaew.

The incident left two demonstrators dead and 470 injured

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322421

thenation_logo.jpg