PM Prayut orders strict regulation on alcohol ban near schools

webfact

PM orders strict regulation on alcohol ban near schools

PNSOC600806001007401.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 August 2017 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has ordered a strict regulation on the ban of alcohol sale near education institutes, encouraging the public to inform officials if they find any violation. 

The Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has received the latest report regarding the suppression of illegal street racing and the sales of alcoholic beverages near education institutes, stating that actions have been taken against people who have violated the ban, including parents of persons involved in the illegal street race circuit. 

However, the government has received continuous complains regarding the violation to the alcohol sale ban near education institutes, which led to a recent raid at a club near Kasetsat University Kampaengsan Campus, where alcoholic drinks were illegally sold with special promotions to attract new drinkers. 

Most people in the club during the raid were identified as students, while some failed to carry identification cards with them, and some are under the influence of narcotics. The owner of the club was charged with illegal operation of entertainment venue, along with illegal alcohol sales and advertisement. The club will be closed for at least 30 days. 

The Prime Minister has urged all related agencies to prevent any violations to this ban and to press legal actions towards the violators. The general public are also encouraged to play an active role by informing officials on any clues of violation by calling 0 2141 3623, or by directly inform any policeman, soldiers, or government official in any area.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-07

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Here we go again, lets see if Prayuths attempt lasts any longer than Gen Paiboons attempt back in 2015.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The general public are also encouraged to play an active role

Seems the RTP are not doing their job so far as sales of booze (and the wicked practice of advertising) near universities and more particularly street racing but no surprises there. Probably because there is no money in it for them and in the evening they are at home relaxing after a hard day on the road collecting "insurance" or sitting in the office playing with their smartphones. .

So now PM Prayut asks the public to do their job for them by lending a hand and giving them the tip-offs they need and expect.

Also I notice a pattern emerging regarding the PM's regulations "orders" to his subordinates. No one seems to take any notice of him any more........a lone voice in the wilderness so to speak.

e.g. faces will not be shown in media finger pointing line-up parades.

I  Thailand, "Strictly enforced"  means for the next 2-3 days at the most,

maybe they should try phrases like, absolutely and categorically must do

now edit for things to be in place for a about a week or two....

Not this crap again :saai: Originally, it was within a 300m radius, but then they changed the law to be more in line with modern Thai police enforcement and made it "near" educational institutions.

So let me pretend I'm trying to enforce this law. Now, clearly 300m is way too far and not practical in such a built up city as Bangkok, so I'll be generous and make my radius around education institutions a mere 50m - let's see who needs to be fined?

Well, i came across Mode Sathorn and the Mandarin Oriental immediately. (That's, because they're major landmarks and show up first on the map.) Now, I'll give up my search, because I'm sure I'd probably find 100's of 7/11s, Hotels and Bars within my 50m radius (and that's just downtown BKK :coffee1:

1 hour ago, bartender100 said:

Is it law? or does he just decide? 

Or is it "I am the law"?

To avoid major losses in the industry a certain brewery will offer a vacant consultant position soon, preferably to a high ranking police officer.

Edited by Lupatria
typo

So if one bar or pub owner at the corner end of the soi want to get rid of his competition, all he has to do is rent a shop and open an education center 300 m away teaching Ikebana, 12 core values, and fruit carving to teenagers?

3 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Is it law? or does he just decide? 

It's the law and has been for a while.

Like many other things in this country laws are ignored and in many cases there really is a lack of knowledge / understanding of the law.

My own extended family are prime examples, especially one old loud mouth know-all 'aunty' who has numerous loud responses to any discussion about the law:

- No such thing, it doesn't exist.

- The police have the duty to make laws as needed for specific events.

- There is law but only the xxxx is allowed to sew it.

and lots more...

My Thai son has shown 'aunty' numerous websites which contain the Thai laws about many things. 'Aunty' feins strong concern and tells my son to cancel it and don't tell anybody because you could get into serious trouble.

In regard to road law her dousy is going through a red light and hit by a car now on a green light. She tried to tell the policeman that it's the law of Thailand that a car with a driver / passenger who is employed by the government has 5 seconds extra after the light has changed to red. After some strong abuse to the policeman at the intersection she was taken to the local fairly big station house and then proceeded to abuse the senior cop on duty and to tell him he doesn't know the law. She was fined 10,000Baht and held in a cell for I think half a day, to calm down.

Another example is the Thai law about not showing suspects in photo ops' unless they have been through the court process and until they have been found guilty it's breaking the human rights of the suspect. The law forbid such photos and the law is aimed at the cops and the media, both bodies continuously ignore / break this law. In the last six months the general has spoken strongly on this subject and told the RTP to respect / abide by the law. Such photos are creeping back again.

Edited by scorecard

oh yes, this is much more important than doing something to stop students murdering fellow students from other universities/colleges such as what happened last week at MBK in front of tourists. hey I've got an idea, how about we slap a 500 baht fine on them such as what was given to the road rage motorist who pulled out a machete to attack a fellow motorist last week also. or was that false news? ;)

they are targeting students, right ? i am well over 60, why should this apply to me ?; some of my old hangouts just happened to be near schools, now i dont/cant go there; this is another in a long line of instances where arch conservative govts overact; control,control,control

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

The 7-11 opposite my local Uni never stopped selling alcohol.

One 7-11 near me shares land with a gas station so it's a dry zone but next to elementary school is a mom and pop alcohol shop so I'm good. They don't care about daily dry times either. 

29 minutes ago, HuaHinHim said:

So if you have a business that sells alcohol and a school opens near you within the limit, you have to stop selling alcohol! Is it any wonder there is no real progress here

Anything for a negative comment. You need to think a little more broadly about community values.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

We use to have alcohol served on campus in the student union.  Perhaps the impressionable should be taught self control.  

We did, too.  18 was the age minimum.  Government school, too.  Busiest beer stores were on the edge of campus.  Anyone been to Liquor Barn in Boulder?  Lol.