What's it like living in Ladprao area?

Requiem

Hi,

I still haven't decided where I want to stay for the next 7 months while in Bangkok.

I found a really nice condominium like 20 meters from Ladprao road. It's not too far from MRT.

I'm interest in the neighbourhood in general - how is the life quality there? If you are staying there, are you happy with your choice? I heard that traffic on Ladprao road is terrible - is it so? Is it very noisy?

Any good restaurants and coffee shops around? What about street food?

Any tips are appreciated.

I used to live in the area. It is a very good area for  foreigners. You have shopping, many street foods available, the chok-chai market is GREAT if you like Thai style markets. Close to Central and Union Malls, 2 Big-Cs ...and bus lines very easy up and down LadPrao road to points north and south.

Yes, there is traffic...but this is Bangkok !

Latphao Road runs East-West and traffic on Latphao Road is considered the worst in Bangkok during rush hours - but it is normally only stop/go in one direction - West in the morning and East in the evening.  In most cases traffic in the other direction is only the normal Bangkok moderate to heavy.  There is construction planned for a skytrain so it will only get worse (but not sure when that starts).  That said have lived in the area for more than 40 years and don't even bother going into central Bangkok anymore.  Everything is available. 

You don't say where on Lad Prao you thinking of but since it's "close to MRT" must be towards/between Ratchadapiesak and Phaholyothin/Central Lad Prao, which is more convenient but also the heavy traffic area at rush hour (but it does keep moving). When I first moved here in 2002 the worst traffic WAS in that area; however, it is no longer "the worst" in my opinion.

I live somewhat near Lad Prao Soi 48 (but closer to Suttisan Road) and now drive almost daily. The worst traffic, anytime day or night, is at key intersections of Ratchadapiesak ("Ratchada") and the entire street of Ratchada during rush hour and rain storms (and other times for no explanation).

I think for 7 months you can do just fine and enjoy it. Note the MRT line is also quite HORRIBLE and jam-packed during every rush hours (and other times for no explanation). I find it best, at rush hour, to take BTS to Morchit and then change there for the inbound MRT (Hua Lamphong station) back to my 'hood but I get on at Ekamai usually, so BTS is not yet packed to the gills.

Ladprao is a long road as mentioned. Near me (Ladprao 71 area) there's CDC, Central Eastville, Crystal Park 1 and 2, The Walk etc. which gives loads of options for foreign food/shopping and there's lots of good Thai restaurants and street food as well  (Chokchai 4 food market is good). There's a good night market on the corner where Pradist Manu Tham meets Kaset Nawamin as well although that's not strictly Ladprao but only 5 minutes away. Mall Bangkapi and Central Ladprao isn't too far.

Not sure I'd fancy the commute every day if you're working downtown or want to go there every day. Only thing I need to go downtown for is the farang pubs/bars but that tends to be at the weekend so I'm not stuck in rush hour traffic every day. If I needed to be downtown every day I'd live downtown. 

Depends what you want to do while you are living here.

I can't imagine living anywhere other than directly on Sukhumvit as I want easy access to bars (and cheap and easy cab rides home at 2am or later).

Thanks guys!

i'm working remote, so I dont have to commute anywhere.

I was just worried about taking a cab after work around 5-6 pm to some restaurant or some place of interest. But if the traffice there moves from west to east at that time, I should be fine.

I think i will be living close to MRT Ladprao.

Check "BK Magazine" online.  They did an article on the Lad Prao neighborhood not long ago, mentioning a lot of trendy restaurants, pubs, coffee shops.  Nearby, behind "SC Park" hotel is an area called "Town in Town" which is a trendy area with many media production studios and a lot of cool cafe's and restaurants.  "Ob Aroy" seafood restaurant is there, arguably one of the best reasonably priced seafood restaurants in Bangkok 

3 hours ago, dddave said:

Check "BK Magazine" online.  They did an article on the Lad Prao neighborhood not long ago, mentioning a lot of trendy restaurants, pubs, coffee shops.  Nearby, behind "SC Park" hotel is an area called "Town in Town" which is a trendy area with many media production studios and a lot of cool cafe's and restaurants.  "Ob Aroy" seafood restaurant is there, arguably one of the best reasonably priced seafood restaurants in Bangkok 

Thanks a lot! Do you happen to have the link to that article? I can't find it in BK magazine :(

I lived in Soi 18 around 6 years ago and i enjoyed it. 

Depends what your looking for. Its obviously as Farang populated as Sukhumvit or even Ratchada.

There were good bars and restaurants there then and i drove through there the other day and saw some nice looking places.

There is Central, Union and Big C.

All in all its a decent place to stay if you dont mind being away from more Farang orientated places.

I stay between Major and Central, Thais think its an up area so you will look better than the Nana living lot apart from that its traffic jam heaven here forget getting taxi's in rush hour lot of great dining options close by if your prepared to go out and explore.

23 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I stay between Major and Central, Thais think its an up area so you will look better than the Nana living lot apart from that its traffic jam heaven here forget getting taxi's in rush hour lot of great dining options close by if your prepared to go out and explore.

I know many people still call it Latphao but you are aware that area has not been part of Latphao for 20 years?  Latphao West border is Klong Latphao.  Also no part of Latphao Road is currently in Latphao.   

Map of Lat Phrao, Bangkok 10230, Thailand