Nine-year-old British girl saves two girls within days of each other in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

Nine-year-old Lakeisha Saynam Nealon saves two girls within days of each other in Thailand

img.jpg

A SCHOOLGIRL from Bolton is being hailed a hero after she helped save two youngsters from drowning while on holiday in Thailand.

Nine-year-old Lakeisha Saynam Nealon swam to the rescue of a little girl, aged around four, whose armbands had slipped off, the day after she arrived in the resort of Pattaya.

Lakeisha was staying at the Sutus Court Hotel with her dad Ian and mum Sumran when the drama unfolded on July 19.

She managed to drag the girl to safety despite being pulled under the water by the panicking youngster.

And just a few days later the keen swimmer went to the rescue of another little girl when the family moved on to Beung Khan to see relatives.

Full story: http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/15456921.Hero_9_year_old_saves_TWO_drowning_girls_within_days_of_each_other_while_on_holiday/

I see on Jomtien beach guys with "Lifeguard" written accross their backs ( look more like policemem or soldiers in full uniform) .....and the last thing they appear to be doing is looking out for people in difficulty in the water ( there was a death there recently), more like all having a nice pow wow together around the camp fire.

Does Pattaya have these same "Lifeguards"?

44 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I see on Jomtien beach guys with "Lifeguard" written accross their backs ( look more like policemem or soldiers in full uniform) .....and the last thing they appear to be doing is looking out for people in difficulty in the water ( there was a death there recently), more like all having a nice pow wow together around the camp fire.

Is swimming on Pattaya/Jomtien beaches still allowed? 

The difference between and 'educated' country and one that is not :thumbsup:

36 billion baht on submarines plus more for aircraft could have been better spent in education! But the PM says, that spending is for deterrent effects! Must be the only deterrent in the country because there are no deterrents practiced in law and by its enforcers :post-4641-1156693976:

Well done young lady. We are all proud of you.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

The Pattaya lifeguards are the ones in the Hazmat suits !!

Well done that young lady !!

Both of my children in the UK learned to swim as part of their school curriculum. In Thailand, I have had to pay for lessons for my later children. Both countries have comparable populations.

Drowning is still the third highest cause of accidental death in the UK, over 400 people (adults and children) per year.

In Thailand 7 children drown EVERY DAY, that is over 2500 per year, plus the adults who drown. The figures are staggering, and elicit the same lack of response from the government as road collision deaths.

Instead of worrying about children wearing their shoes in the classroom, maybe there should be more attention paid to keeping them safe from drowning and death in road collisions.

3 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Sutus Court has a pool, albeit a small one. If a nine-year old Lakeisha was in with a four-year old Thai girl there wouldn't be much room left for others...

49 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Sutus Court has a pool, albeit a small one. If a nine-year old Lakeisha was in with a four-year old Thai girl there wouldn't be much room left for others...

How little you know. Actually, Sutus Court has 2 swimming pools, which while not of Olympic size are reasonably sized, particularly the one on the ground floor.

And by the way, well done to the girl from England.

SC_1.jpg

SC_2.jpg

Edited by monspencer

6 minutes ago, monspencer said:

How little you know. Actually, Sutus Court has 2 swimming pools, which while not of Olympic size are reasonably sized, particularly the one on the ground floor.

And by the way, well done to the girl from England.

SC_1.jpg

SC_2.jpg

I've been using the main pool for approximately 10 years and definitely wouldn't call it big. The one above shouldn't really be called a pool (my horse exercise pool in South Africa was larger!). Maybe you are just small and these pools seems bigger to you than they really are?

1 hour ago, hobobo said:

I've been using the main pool for approximately 10 years and definitely wouldn't call it big. The one above shouldn't really be called a pool (my horse exercise pool in South Africa was larger!). Maybe you are just small and these pools seems bigger to you than they really are?

Might be small for you, but nothing like "If a nine-year old Lakeisha was in with a four-year old Thai girl there wouldn't be much room left for others...". The real deal is however, a bit grubbier than the above pics suggest.

Well done to that girl - great example and your family deserve to be proud...

(just to round off with a bit of humour..... expect a visit from outraged police and public for taking Taking jobs from Thai Life-Savers and rescuing without a work-permit !)

:whistling::biggrin:

She is now destined to become a lifeguard . With a Thai passport she can start working at the beaches here. Most Thais can't swim so she will be busy . 

43 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Don't forget t'eccles cakes and t'hot pots !!

But they can still swim save lives and have an education

The girl is a shining example to the locals who could not do what she did

should give the family a free holiday, but hopefully in a safer country