PM wants elevated rail tracks to go through Korat’s township

webfact

PM wants elevated rail tracks to go through Korat’s township

By Thai PBS

dual.jpg

KORAT: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha has suggested an adjustment of the dual-track Jira-Khon Kaen train project which goes through Nakhon Ratchasima township during his meeting with the province’s private sector and people’s representatives on Monday (Aug 21).

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit told the media that the prime minister had suggested that the original design of the 4-km rail track which goes through the township with fences to be built on both sides of the dual rail tracks for safety reason should be changed with the 4-km trail track elevated.

The private sector and people in this northeastern province have voiced their opposition to the planned building of the 4-km fences along the rail tracks, saying that they will divide the town into two parts.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-wants-elevated-rail-tracks-go-korats-township/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-22

If this really does refer to the Jira-KhonKaen project, then it's surely part of the SRT's slowly-advancing track-doubling scheme, and nothing to do with the medium-speed heavy-freight China-Thailand line ?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307957    March 14th 2017

"Two other double-track rail projects – the Jira Junction-Khon Kaen and the Chachoengsao-Kaeng Khoi sections – are also being closely monitored by the superboard. Prasarn said the two projects’ construction works would, at this stage, continue pending the findings of an investigative subcommittee."

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit told the media that the prime minister had suggested that the original design of the 4-km rail track which goes through the township with fences to be built on both sides of the dual rail tracks for safety reason should be changed with the 4-km trail track elevated.

You build on ground formation wherever you can Viaducts and Tunnels are expensive. Making an impenetrable fence would be far cheaper

48 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

This just gets more stupid by the day. A multibillion dollar high speed railway cutting through the most impoverished lands in the country. Even the amateurish graphic has modern style houses, so it looks more like Japan.

1. Korat (City) isn't as impoverished as you and many others seem to think. ?

2. Infrastructure isn't designed to link only the wealthy areas/cities of a country. It also connects the less affluent cities/regions. 

Personally, I hope the Korat City section isn't elevated - I love Korat just the way it is... pity about that eye sore Terminal 21 though... 

9 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

You build on ground formation wherever you can Viaducts and Tunnels are expensive. Making an impenetrable fence would be far cheaper

An impenetrable fence in Thailand? Let's all have a good laugh. For once, the PM is showing some good sense. He understands the nature of his flock.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

An impenetrable fence in Thailand? Let's all have a good laugh. For once, the PM is showing some good sense. He understands the nature of his flock.

With the money he's spending on a viaduct he could build an Alcatraz type wall with bells on it, manned by 24 hour security for a 10% of the price of a viaduct, Thats what was used for double tracking project in Malaysia and worked cut out many deaths from illegal crossings and trespassing.  So if you have no idea what you are talking about or just a Juntaist have a read up before you post something that is nonsense,

Edited by Dave67

5 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

With the money he's spending on a viaduct he could build an Alcatraz type wall with bells on it, manned by 24 hour security for a 10% of the price of a viaduct, Thats what was used for double tracking project in Malaysia and worked cut out many deaths from illegal crossings and trespassing.  So if you have no idea what you are talking about or just a Juntaist have a read up before you post something that is nonsense,

Yes its expensive... but otherwise accidents will happen 4km.. Thais will find a way to get over it. Here they go against the flow of traffic just to save going to the U turn 250 meters further.

Now people will not be bothered and can go under it it will help the people greatly. I think its a great idea. Anyone who truly lives in Thailand knows what the locals do. Also the wall you describe would be penetrated for sure and it would cause great inconvenience to the people.

I am against this program as I don't think it will ever be profitable... but if it has to come.. then a this part is smart. Personally I don't see why a high speed train should go there.. it will never make its money its as stupid as the rice program. 

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Personally I don't see why a high speed train should go there.. it will never make its money its as stupid as the rice program. 

This is only part of the project, the whole project will link Nong Khai to deep sea ports on the coast and is intended to improve freight traffic.

Just now, nahkit said:

This is only part of the project, the whole project will link Nong Khai to deep sea ports on the coast and is intended to improve freight traffic.

Freight I understand, but they are talking High speed trains here.

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes its expensive... but otherwise accidents will happen 4km.. Thais will find a way to get over it. Here they go against the flow of traffic just to save going to the U turn 250 meters further.

Now people will not be bothered and can go under it it will help the people greatly. I think its a great idea. Anyone who truly lives in Thailand knows what the locals do. Also the wall you describe would be penetrated for sure and it would cause great inconvenience to the people.

I am against this program as I don't think it will ever be profitable... but if it has to come.. then a this part is smart. Personally I don't see why a high speed train should go there.. it will never make its money its as stupid as the rice program. 

Robblok mate I agree it's a massive waste of money all round,

I think it safe to say that no government has done anything to stop the carnage on the roads, just a few feeble attempt at traffic lights a couple of you turn bridges but they cannot stop 20,000 road deaths a year so why all of a sudden safety a concern

you can not stop people getting onto a Viaduct or track on a land formation , fences can be climbed and viaducts have to have emergency stairs for patrolman and in case of breakdown, quite easy to get in if you really want to Cars are a different matter. I didn't take the pictures  below but I was that project It's an example  simple fence that can stop cars

Bit of before and after

before project.jpg

Malaysia-Double-Track.png

Edited by Dave67

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thai's don't manage to break through the walls and fences and stroll across the motorways. They usually build underpasses for traffic, people and even cattle to pass underneath and still stay outside the fences.

52 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thai's don't manage to break through the walls and fences and stroll across the motorways. They usually build underpasses for traffic, people and even cattle to pass underneath and still stay outside the fences.

I seen quite a few illegal (through fences) passes. If they fence off 4 km (without underpasses or something like that) you can be sure that they will make their own illegal entry points. 

Misleading headline. PM does not want the rail track to go through the township, he wants it elevated to lessen the impact on the residents. Seems pretty obvious, and one starts to understand maybe why he gets into all the nitty gritty because he is surrounded by brainless sycophants who cannot make decisions by themselves.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

PM wants

I want so many things too....

Honestly I can't see why Thailand needs a High Speed Train. Is it because of that EGO of this general? Because no other country got that? Put that money into education along with that for the subs and carrier and tanks aso.

Whoever mentioned the high-speed train ?  This is surely the SRT's on-going track-dualling contract, of their metre-gauge line.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ch-karnchang-railway-idUSL3N13X26C20151208        reported 8th December 2015

" State Railway of Thailand opened an electronic auction for construction work of the dual-track railway linking Jira Road in northeastern Thailand to Khon Kaen province with the reference price at 23.6 billion baht. "

" A consortium led by Thailand construction firm Ch Karnchang Pcl offered the lowest bid of 23.44 billion baht ($652.92 million) for the government's dual-track railway project "

5 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Also there is a noise factor - elevation will spread the noise (and pollution)  further. Probably not an issue if only a few trains a day but once it's built that way you cannot change it however much the traffic increases.

No pollution on a high-speed railway the train is powered by electric. Height will spread the noise many viaducts in Singapore SMRT have Sound barriers,

Singapore.jpg

15 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

This just gets more stupid by the day. A multibillion dollar high speed railway cutting through the most impoverished lands in the country. Even the amateurish graphic has modern style houses, so it looks more like Japan.

But the houses are sinking, "Thai style".

15 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Youve never be to Korat, have you?  It's actually the second largest city in Thailand and home to one of the largest percentages of middle class in the country, plenty of "modern style" houses in Korat, and loads of them far larger and grander than in that graphic?

8 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I want so many things too....

Honestly I can't see why Thailand needs a High Speed Train. Is it because of that EGO of this general? Because no other country got that? Put that money into education along with that for the subs and carrier and tanks aso.

Honestly I can't see why people seem content for Thailand to stagnate while other countries surrounding it embrace the future.  And this is really a Chinese project, they offered to pay for the whole thing but Thailand wanted to do it their way, the idea was to link up the world with high speed non polluting trains to replace all the polluting cars, buses, diesel trains, planes and boats, how could anyone not see why everywhere needs non polluting transport?

For the third time, this is part of the SRT's long-running meter-gauge track-doubling projects, and nothing at all to do with the Chinese-Thailand medium-speed heavy-freight line.  The following new thread today makes this even clearer  ...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/998434-go-ahead-for-nakon-ratchasima-rail-elevation-project/

And the new/existing power-generation for the new Chinese line will still generate extra pollution, just not along-the-line, like the deisel-locomotives used on the existing SRT-network.

21 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I lived in China for a while and had a studio overlooking a busy urban dual carriageway. I was horrified at the risks people would take to cross that highway, despite the availability of underpasses and a light controlled junction nearby.

So along came the the highway authorities and built a very strong looking 'impenetrable' fence along the median to prevent this dangerous behaviour. Within three days of completion it had been breached and within a couple of months it had breaks in it along its entire length. And compared with the Thais, the Chinese have far more self discipline! Sorry, but in this part of the world, I would have little faith in fences.

And by the way, I hardly think that 'For once, the PM is showing some good sense.' qualifies me as a junta supporter!

Just now, Moonlover said:

I lived in China for a while and had a studio overlooking a busy urban dual carriageway. I was horrified at the risks people would take to cross that highway, despite the availability of underpasses and a light controlled junction nearby.

So along came the the highway authorities and built a very strong looking 'impenetrable' fence along the median to prevent this dangerous behaviour. Within three days of completion it had been breached and within a couple of months it had breaks in it along its entire length. And compared with the Thais, the Chinese have far more self discipline! Sorry, but in this part of the world, I would have little faith in fences.

And by the way, I hardly think that 'For once, the PM is showing some good sense.' qualifies me as a junta supporter!

I worked in China too far worse than the Thais IMO

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We'll just have to agree to differ on that one! :smile:

I had the misfortune to work in the backwaters of China building the High speed railway Wuhan - Guangzhou . X'ian - Zhengzhou. I wondered why people just walked into the road without looking with cars swerving all over the place. When I found out the law was if a car hits a pedestrian it always the car drivers fault and had to pay compensation

The link below what that this law has caused

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2015/09/why_drivers_in_china_intentionally_kill_the_pedestrians_they_hit_china_s.html