Higher taxes on sweetened beverages to be effective this month

rooster59

Higher taxes on sweetened beverages to be effective this month

softdrink.jpg

Sugary drinks will face higher taxes from 10 satang to one baht per liter under the new excise law which will become effective on Sept 16.

The enforcement of higher taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages was revealed by Deputy Finance Minister Wisudhi Srisuphan at a seminar on the new Excise Tax Act this week.

Mr Wisudhi said taxes on sugary beverages will be raised once the new excise law becomes effective on Sept 16.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/higher-taxes-sweetened-beverages-effective-month/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-02

8 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Can we look forward  to the introduction of sugar-free "diet" versions of soft drinks here, or would that kill the sugar industry?

Probably not, the locals like their sugar.

But if they did, would you trust the label? 

25 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Can we look forward  to the introduction of sugar-free "diet" versions of soft drinks here, or would that kill the sugar industry?

would be nice to have more sugar free alternatives. That would be a big plus and I think it will happen.

Well.  It works. 

Remember when mc Donald’s and KFC entered Thailand in the 1990is.  A full meal costed under 100 thb.  In 2000 there was suddenly a ton of overweight Thais. 

The we we got the tax on junk food and meals cost 170-260 thb and weights have gone down. 

Taxes should be used for bad things. Tax on work (like Sweden’s 31% work tax) kills real jobs.   Thailand is such a step up taxing foreign stuff to promote its own country. Something that is illegal in EU and a corner reason of all problems there. 

I will hovever be angry if PepsiMax is taxed. My only joy in life and a reason why I moved from Sweden.  A bottle in Sweden cost 80 thb. In Thailand 22 thb. 2 bottles day - save 3600 thb per month.  

7 hours ago, theswedishguy said:

Taxes should be used for bad things. Tax on work (like Sweden’s 31% work tax) kills real jobs.   Thailand is such a step up taxing foreign stuff to promote its own country. Something that is illegal in EU and a corner reason of all problems there. 

You mean like 400% wine tax so local companies owned by couple of families can charge 300+ THB per bottle which contains buffalo p*ss?

I will hovever be angry if PepsiMax is taxed. My only joy in life and a reason why I moved from Sweden.  A bottle in Sweden cost 80 thb. In Thailand 22 thb. 2 bottles day - save 3600 thb per month.  

Wow, saving 1-2 days toilet cleaner's wage a year on soft drink is the dream comes true :-)