What was he thinking? Thai media pose question of driver who went the wrong way round a bend and killed a baby

webfact

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

What was he thinking? Hummm... what were all those who got drunk and

drive a car thinking? and all those those who drives recklessly and

with complete disregards to road and traffic laws were thinking?

i tell you what they were thinking, A. I'm OK i know how to drive,

B. Mi pen Rai, C. and if i get caught, i bribe the policeman...

so I'm good to go...

C. I'm wearing an amulet around my neck, so nothing can go wrong.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Read to story carefully He was using his cell phone The wife had called him in the truck Having said that The child would most definitely be alive today had it been in a child seat strapped in 

From that standpoint the blame can also be put on the others shoulders as well as the angered man 

A death that could have been avoided 

A possible attempted suicide?. . . . . Anyway, the favourite child is usually given the honour of sitting on the lap of the front seat passenger.       That makes sense doesn't it?

Caution!!!: You have just entered the realm of Thai roads. Please drive with extreme caution to minimize the effects of a Thai social phenomenon called "red mist", which can appear at any moment. Red mist is caused by another societal quirk called "losing face" and could lead to death.

9 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

A possible attempted suicide?. . . . . Anyway, the favourite child is usually given the honour of sitting on the lap of the front seat passenger.       That makes sense doesn't it?

Where a airbag will instantly kill them.

6 hours ago, kotsak said:

What was he thinking? You need more than a few brain cells for that..

another Buffalo, he should be charged with manslaughter at least, hope the girls family  get several million baht compensation Fair would be 20 to 30 million, you cannot replace life, taken by some idiot who abuses the privilege of stupidity

Edited by 1sickpuppy

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

The charge will be, "Reckless Driving Causing Death".  However, perhaps a Wai and a basket of tonic waters will be sufficient to get him off the hook.

"Reckless Driving Causing Death"

Where have I been reading that recently?  Doesn't he have 15 years or so to try and outrun this charge or isn't he rich enough?

1 minute ago, maeab101 said:

Thais are good at using turn signals though.

Joking aside, I was impressed 2-3 times all these years I've been driving here.. :giggle: I remember especially one driver using the turn signal in a mall's indoor parking lot indicating his intention to go up the spiral.

Having survived the crash he can now apply for advanced driving instructor .

Every time you go out you can see wreck less lunatic life endangerment and that's just to park in front of you at the red light, no lessons will ever get learnt until the punishment fits the crime   

He will enter himself it to the Monk-hood, all is forgiven.

Sad that their was loss of life. Baby/Child seats, come on parents, a few hundred baht could have and would have saved your baby. Baby in the backseat safe, again, come on parents!

In some countries, including Oz, parents don't have to fork out much money for child safety seats and capsules - they just front up at the local council and hire them.
Thais could do that. If they thought that life was valuable.
It's obvious that they don't think that.

In 10 years of driving in LOS, apart from the journey to BKK, I found the drivers to be okay. I live in the North and maybe the mentality is markedly different than in the rest of LOS, mind you. If there is one aspect that I find hard to take is  the implementation of u-turns as highly flawed and I am surprised there are not more head-on collisions there. Otherwise, it has not been that bad. I am not missing the selfish Hells Angels' motorcycles waking me up at 1 a.m. on a Saturday morning! I am not missing the pedestrians who are waiting to cross a road at a light when there is not one car visible left, right, and in any other possible ways. 

Expats here on TV are used to a set of rules and being mostly from Anglo-Saxon cultures, they believe in rules, lots of them, and some, even follow stupid rules and religiously. It is called rigidity and over-zealousness, which happens to be in ... collision course with the Thai mentality, which seems much more flexible (in some degrees), which is going with the flow, at least here in the North. That is why the motorcycle turning and merging in roads here makes sense because the cars and the motorcycles (at least here in the North) are ready to leave a lane for motorcycles to drive into. This practice is unheard of in expats countries. There are fewer scooters, of course. Of course, there are some Thais who think that this is okay to do with cars. Turn left, just inch your way into the traffic and hope that someone will slow down to let you through. My wife does it and I don't like it. They also take wide-turns when doing those 90 degrees left-hand turns, presumably to avoid hitting the scooters that usually pass them on their left during the turn. That compounds the problem. And then there is the problem of no one honking when one has seen a flagrant error or had to deal with a deliberate power pass or a tailgating at 100 km/h +. I guess no one wants to have to deal with the "rage". The practice of "losing face" or telling someone that s/he is erring is sadly not culturally acceptable. There are ways to doing it, but if you have not had your ego bruised when you were young, how are you going to handle it when you are older. When some get "hurt", soe of them cannot handle as everything has also been all bottled up and ready to explode.

I fault the educational systems and the other systems for not educating them, but this is hard to change. See how expats are unable to go with the flow? Do try to mention one aspect of an expat's culture that is silly and see how many are willing to listen. Change takes time. Here and there.

48 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

In 10 years of driving in LOS, apart from the journey to BKK, I found the drivers to be okay. I live in the North and maybe the mentality is markedly different than in the rest of LOS, mind you. If there is one aspect that I find hard to take is  the implementation of u-turns as highly flawed and I am surprised there are not more head-on collisions there. Otherwise, it has not been that bad. I am not missing the selfish Hells Angels' motorcycles waking me up at 1 a.m. on a Saturday morning! I am not missing the pedestrians who are waiting to cross a road at a light when there is not one car visible left, right, and in any other possible ways. 

Expats here on TV are used to a set of rules and being mostly from Anglo-Saxon cultures, they believe in rules, lots of them, and some, even follow stupid rules and religiously. It is called rigidity and over-zealousness, which happens to be in ... collision course with the Thai mentality, which seems much more flexible (in some degrees), which is going with the flow, at least here in the North. That is why the motorcycle turning and merging in roads here makes sense because the cars and the motorcycles (at least here in the North) are ready to leave a lane for motorcycles to drive into. This practice is unheard of in expats countries. There are fewer scooters, of course. Of course, there are some Thais who think that this is okay to do with cars. Turn left, just inch your way into the traffic and hope that someone will slow down to let you through. My wife does it and I don't like it. They also take wide-turns when doing those 90 degrees left-hand turns, presumably to avoid hitting the scooters that usually pass them on their left during the turn. That compounds the problem. And then there is the problem of no one honking when one has seen a flagrant error or had to deal with a deliberate power pass or a tailgating at 100 km/h +. I guess no one wants to have to deal with the "rage". The practice of "losing face" or telling someone that s/he is erring is sadly not culturally acceptable. There are ways to doing it, but if you have not had your ego bruised when you were young, how are you going to handle it when you are older. When some get "hurt", soe of them cannot handle as everything has also been all bottled up and ready to explode.

I fault the educational systems and the other systems for not educating them, but this is hard to change. See how expats are unable to go with the flow? Do try to mention one aspect of an expat's culture that is silly and see how many are willing to listen. Change takes time. Here and there.

48 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I'm not sure where in the North you live but I have lived North of Chiang Mai for 6 years and see several instances of dangerous driving by Thai drivers daily perhaps I get out more than you.

I have an Anglo Saxon background and am happy to be overzealous rigid and a safe driver than Flexible and a dangerous driver

Driving on roads in Thailand is Lawless! 3rd party Safety, Thinking outside the Box!, Personal Safety, Care, Consideration, Speed Limits is not on the agenda hence a recipe for death and destruction. The Stats don't lie! Allegedly last year there were 24,237 deaths on Thai Roads which is approximately 66 passings a day!! One man's pathectic anger resulted in the distress for a family forever. RIP baby!

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

See it so often, they seem to think it is perfectly ok to drive on the wrong side of the road as long as they flash their headlights. 

Have you seen the footage? This wasn't driving on the wrong side of the road, flashing headlights whilst overtaking. Look at the pic.That's a divided road. Three lanes on the right, median strip and one or two lanes on the left. Can't see how many. He was driving into three lanes of oncoming traffic. Smashed head on with the other car just as the other car rounded the corner. Didn't stand a chance. Well less than a second before seeing the oncoming car and impact.

Edited by dinsdale

It would appear to me that following the argument that the driver who caused the accident was so unconsolably angry that he was unable to either calm down or think logically while driving. 

Unable to think clearly, with clouded judgement and in a haze of thoughts, fury and anger he was unable to compartmentalize and concentrate on driving... He simply turned right, put his foot down and drove off, quite possibly completely unaware he was on the wrong side of the road until it was too late....  or even thinking.. 'whats that car doing coming straight towards me'....

Many people here deal with confrontation incredibly poorly, the whole culture of face saving, kraeng-Jai etc means that when an argument does blow-up those involved are ill equip to deal with the associated stream of emotions. In this case, tragic consequences for an innocent party ensued. 

6 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I see your point but it could have been avoided much easier if he had driven the correct way .

The blame deserves to be 100% on the idiot driving on the wrong side of the road.

Oh yes I fully agree with on that defiantly the fault of the crazy man in the grey pickup. 

7 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Read to story carefully He was using his cell phone The wife had called him in the truck Having said that The child would most definitely be alive today had it been in a child seat strapped in 

From that standpoint the blame can also be put on the others shoulders as well as the angered man 

A death that could have been avoided 

Ah, victim blaming...

That never gets too old for some, eh. 

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

What was he thinking? Hummm... what were all those who got drunk and

drive a car thinking? and all those those who drives recklessly and

with complete disregards to road and traffic laws were thinking?

i tell you what they were thinking, A. I'm OK i know how to drive,

B. Mi pen Rai, C. and if i get caught, i bribe the policeman...

so I'm good to go...

Or D. In-sha-allah...