Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

22 hours ago, thaifoodruns said:

Read this

Know ur rights

I always start filming when they do their shit

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/12/know-your-rights-if-a-policeman-stops-you-in-bangkok/

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for share. But....

1.1 Foreigners may take photos of police officers who do the search before searching begins.

Is Legal? Are you sure? Can I take photo of the "police" ?

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Oh not a bit aggressive or cheeky  filming them  eh?  I would never support your post .  No one should 

if in a well lighted are with people but at a desolate intersection i would think twice about filming. these cops are akin to low life thugs and do not necessarily ponder the consequences of actions they take.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If it's a published law it's not extortion.

Who to believe?:giggle:

Thailand police: Foreigners not required to carry passports at all times

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/#ovcD8ya5kQvuU68e.97

Foreigners In Thailand Asked To Carry Passport Or Copy At All Times – BSA Law:blink::blink:

http://beforeitsnews.com/international/2016/03/foreigners-in-thailand-asked-to-carry-passport-or-copy-at-all-times-bsa-law-2489708.html

The law actually states you have to prove you are in the country legally.  Which means a valid visa.  Which is only in your passport if you are a foreigner like most of us are.  Some police have accepted a copy, some haven't.  You can argue all you want, but the law is clear as mud.  As has been discussed ad nauseam over the years.

If you want to be 100% safe, carry your passport.  I don't, but I understand the consequences.  Which are minimal.

P.S. when traveling outside my area, I always take my passport with me.

Edited by craigt3365
  • Like 2

Everytime a police officer writes out a fine he receives 95% of the fine on top of his wages. Unfortunately the money is pooled between him and others, mostly office bound officers. That's not a good thing for the issuing officer as he wants it all, so hence the extortion, it's cash in hand. In fact if every police officer was to issue a ticket for all offences he comes across that 95% can be a big pot of money if the officer did his job with enthusiasm. But that would mean getting off his a-r-s-e and work. Always seems to be the easy option with these people.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, tropo said:

You don't pay fines in the street - you pay them at the police station. 

I wouldn't know - it's never gotten that far for me.

In any case, this was a shakedown, plain as day.

If you're going to be too much hard work for them, they send you on your way

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The law actually states you have to prove you are in the country legally.

No. You only have to prove your ID. Thai police wouldn't know a  legal stamp in your passport. That's the job of the Immigration police.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sinbin said:

No. You only have to prove your ID. Thai police wouldn't know a  legal stamp in your passport. That's the job of the Immigration police.

Do not post inaccurate info. That is wrong.  It's your visa that's important.  Not your ID. LOL

In the end, most of these are just money makers.  Happens all the time.

Edited by craigt3365

7 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I wouldn't know - it's never gotten that far for me.

In any case, this was a shakedown, plain as day.

If you're going to be too much hard work for them, they send you on your way

I would never pay a "fine" on the street. 

In this case, it was 100% scam and obvious. I would tell them to write out a ticket so I can pay it at the station. It's unlikely they would take it any further. If they did, I would call my lawyer.

I don't think they have a fine for that, which would mean that they would have to take me to the police station so that I could verify my ID assuming they don't accept the laminated copy which I carry. If they threaten to do that, I'm going for a ride to the station - no problems. I wouldn't act concerned and wouldn't give them tea money.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I watched a corrupt police officer on the walkway to MBK accosting foreigners for passports in March 2016,.  I walked by and he ignored me.  They tend to go after those who either appear weak with Asian girlfriend or those who appear lost and confused.

If he had come at me I'd have told him to f off.  But he ignored me altogether.

• Like 1

As a tourist, that is to say, 2/3 weeks in Thailand, many probably carry their passport most of the time.

As an expat I do not, but my Thai driving license yes, by carrying it for days in my wallet it won't deteriorate, sorry my passport would be in a poor condition should I carry it everyday everywhere all the time.

On the other hand in nearly 6 years I've never been asked for my passport, on the road they've always been satisfied with my DL, but of course, maybe I've been lucky that's all?

19 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Do not post inaccurate info

I am correct. It's you that is wrong. I don't carry my passport around with me. I carry my Pink Thai ID Card. It does not carry my visa details.

PS. Craig3365. A Pink Thai ID card can be used in a bank instead of using your passport.

Edited by sinbin

HINT:

ALWAYS carry a COPY of your passport - go to a Kodak store, get a color WALLET size sealed in plastic for under 100THB. ( I consider it a 100THB Insurance policy ) I also carry a copy of my last 2 permissions to stay - not sealed in plastic

ALSO, The police CAN tell you to report to the police station with your Passport and other documents, but must give you reasonable time to comply.

If money wanted for any reason,  PAY at police station and get a receipt.

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, elliss said:

Interpretation of the  law ,  varies  quite  a lot , in the kingdom .

"Interpretation of the  law ,  varies  quite  a lot , in the kingdom"

Interpretation of absolutely everything and its opposite varies quite  a lot , in the kingdom. :tongue:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sinbin said:

I am correct. It's you that is wrong. I don't carry my passport around with me. I carry my Pink Thai ID Card. It does not carry my visa details.

PS. Craig3365. A Pink Thai ID card can be used in a bank instead of using your passport.

But a bank isn't the police.  And your Thai ID card doesn't have your visa info.  Believe me, this is what's important.  My Thai DL has my passport number on it, but that's not going to save me.  Only a valid visa stamp will. 

Here in Pattaya, many have been taken down to the station for only having copies.  Some end up in Bangkok if they can't produce the passport within 24 hours.  Again, sometimes a paper copy works.  But not always.

• Like 1

This is an excellent summary of the 2 Thai laws related to this.  It's not very clear, but interpretation is up to the officer.  If they want to see your passport, you've got to show it.  From the link below:

A separate immigration law states foreigners must carry their passport at all times, although the wording is more analogous to "must be able to present" vs "carry at all times"

Must be able to present is subject to interpretation. 

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

But a bank isn't the police.  And your Thai ID card doesn't have your visa info.  Believe me, this is what's important.  My Thai DL has my passport number on it, but that's not going to save me.  Only a valid visa stamp will. 

Here in Pattaya, many have been taken down to the station for only having copies.  Some end up in Bangkok if they can't produce the passport within 24 hours.  Again, sometimes a paper copy works.  But not always.

"Here in Pattaya, many have been taken down to the station for only having copies. "

"Many"!!??  Nope.  Not buyin' it.  BS.  Hearsay.   Those that go down to the police station have other issues, and sometimes don't want to share that part of the story.  Now the part about ending up in Bangkok IF they can't produce a valid passport within 24 hrs, as anyone SHOULD be able to do, I DO believe.  But that's an entirely different ballgame.

29 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

As a tourist, that is to say, 2/3 weeks in Thailand, many probably carry their passport most of the time.

If you're a tourist, do you carry your passport with you most of the time? I never do that no matter where I go. I always keep it in the hotel safe when I'm travelling and I'm sure most others do too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

"Here in Pattaya, many have been taken down to the station for only having copies. "

"Many"!!??  Nope.  Not buyin' it.  BS.  Hearsay.   Those that go down to the police station have other issues, and sometimes don't want to share that part of the story.  Now the part about ending up in Bangkok IF they can't produce a valid passport within 24 hrs, as anyone SHOULD be able to do, I DO believe.  But that's an entirely different ballgame.

Not hearsay.  I heard this directly from the guy who had to go there.  Was caught in a round up at a gentleman's club.  Those with copies were let go.  Those without went to the station.  It was also reported here on Thaivisa.  About 3-4 years ago.  I'll try to find the link.

Be nice.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

Not hearsay.  I heard this directly from the guy who had to go there.  Was caught in a round up at a gentleman's club.  Those with copies were let go.  Those without went to the station.  It was also reported here on Thaivisa.  About 3-4 years ago.  I'll try to find the link.

Be nice.

"Those with copies were let go."

EXACTLY what I said/am saying!!  Just EXACTLY!!! 

Be real.